4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Smoke coming from starter, no start, please help my dudes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smoke coming from starter, no start, please help my dudes.

So after my Max hard starting for the longest time, melting the negative terminal OFF, melting the positive terminal wires, it finally gave up today. I have replaced both battery terminals and the starter to no avail. I did notice smoke coming from the starter when trying to turn it over repeatedly. Also, oddly, without the ground wire unattached it tried to turn over, with it on, absolutely nothing. Last thing I did was try to make a new ground wire, but now nothing works, car alarm beeps and courtesy lights come on, but no additional power on cranking (I can't roll up windows or turn on radio anymore). You guys have helped me out of every jam I've ever had, and I'm losing patience with myself. Any help appreciated!

Additionally I tried to change the battery, get a jump and bump start it without success.

Last edited by NsNMax; 05-18-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Seems like you blew your main 140amp fuse.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Correctamundo, it was blown. Had another, and replaced it and that got all my additional bits going again, still has not remedied the starting issues though ;_;
Old 05-18-2017, 08:15 PM

How new is your starter? I would take it to get it tested. Melting wires is not good. I bet your problem is originally not with the starter. Take a picture of your starter connected. How did your make a new ground wire?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Made the ground using some spare electrical wire, and a couple of connects I had lying around. The starter is maybe a month old, if that. I'll get some pictures tomorrow and post em up
Old 05-18-2017, 09:13 PM
JvG

So the first starter died from incredible heat, and the current one is smoking.

It's encountering unusual resistance from the engine, which it's trying to start.

Try to turn the engine by putting a wrench on the crank pully bolt. Does the engine want to turn, but with moderate resistance? That would be normal.

But if it'd real hard to turn it, your starter is not the only problem you have.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:27 AM

I had a newly remanned starter start our max one time before it self-consumed itself (burned up the starter, smoke, nice ozone smell ). The triggering solenoid on it was defective. Do as have been suggested, pull the starter and have it checked. Throw a socket and breaker bar on your crank pulley and see if she rotates reasonably. And while you are down at the moment make your path to ground proper.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 AM
JvG

Seems like something is binding.

Have the starter checked.

Turn the engine while the transmission is in neutral..

Has the engine been over heated or run out of oil recently? Have you been hearing knocking noises or painful noises from your engine?
Old 05-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Does your new starter have the same amount of teeth on it as the old one? Sometimes the remans have less teeth on them than the original had and it could cause problems. You could get an OEM JY starter and rebuild it. When mine goes out I will rebuild it. There is a thread in the stickies for this.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the help so far my dudes. mysteriously she started running again after not being worked on at all the past two days. Not sure what that's about, but I feel like this is a fluke. I'm going to try as suggested and have the starter checked. I think at this point that might be the root of all evil. Also my cel is now on, not sure if that's related, I'll hook up the reader tomorrow and see what I've got.