4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Manual transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Manual transmission noise

Hello everyone, I have a '96 Maxima with a manual transmission. For several months I've noticed a rapid clicking sound, but only in first and second gear. Its not the CV's, its a different sound and does it whether cornering or not. Its similar to playing cards in bicycle spokes but faster and not as loud. Also in 1st and 2nd only it feels like the car is surging on take off with a quiet growling noise. It doesn't do this if you're careful and takeoff REALLY easy with very little acceleration. It doesn't do any of this in 3rd, 4th, or 5th. It runs and drives fine otherwise. I would just like to know what this is and do something about it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys-Scott
Old 06-02-2017, 10:50 AM

What about reverse- does reverse have the same noise and activity as first and second gears?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nope. Just 1st and 2nd. Reverse has the typical manual reverse "whine" that Ive heard on every manual, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:56 PM

What do gears one and two share in common (within the transmission)?

Whatever it is, the issue is probably there. We know they are linked in the same throw (all the way to the left and then forward or back), so they share a linkage point at the least. If it were in the clutch or flywheel, you would have issues with every gear, which you say you don't. I would say something is loose between the linkage for gears one and two and that actual drive gear in the transmission. But could be wrong... just a good place to look.