4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rough Idle Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rough Idle Help

So I bought a 95 maxima and since I bought it, it has had a rough idle in gear. if it is in park or neutral it idles fine. I've replaced plugs, coils, and intake and it still idles rough... at red lights and stop signs i have to hold the gas down a bit to keep the revs up or it sometimes dies (less often now that ive changed plugs and coils) i need to know a fix!! THANKS in advance
Old 06-23-2017, 07:17 PM

Clean the throttle body as it's very dirty from the gunk that's been built up from the combustion chambers. The air that flows through the throttle body at idle is getting blocked due to the build up of gunk from combustion. Clean it and you'll have a smooth idle in park and drive and the rpms won't dip anymore. Use crc throttle body cleaner.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Throttle body

I've already cleaned out the throttle body (I forgot to mention that) and it still happens but it's only in gear at idle that it happens.. once I'm moving it seems to be fine
Old 06-24-2017, 04:41 AM

Look into adjusting the throttle position sensor.

You may also have issues related to the MAF, so look in that direction as well.

With all due respect to the previous poster, dirty throttle bodies are in no way a result of the products of combustion.

Last edited by Turbobink; 06-24-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Look into adjusting the throttle position sensor.

You may also have issues related to the MAF, so look in that direction as well.
+1

I've had this happen on two different 4th gens where I had to keep one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator at stop lights to keep the car running. It turned out to be a bad MAF in both cases.

You might try cleaning the MAF with some CRC MAF cleaner. Be sure to let it thoroughly dry before reinstallation. Here's a video on testing the MAF below.

Side question: Do you know if anyone may have recently pressure washed your engine compartment area?

I've noticed engine pressure washing seem be in the recent past when Knock Sensor and MAF issues surface.

Last edited by CS_AR; 06-24-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CS_AR
+1

I've had this happen on two different 4th gens where I had to keep one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator at stop lights to keep the car running. It turned out to be a bad MAF in both cases.

You might try cleaning the MAF with some CRC MAF cleaner. Be sure to let it thoroughly dry before reinstallation. Here's a video on testing the MAF below.

Side question: Do you know if anyone may have recently pressure washed your engine compartment area?

I've noticed engine pressure washing seem be in the recent past when Knock Sensor and MAF issues surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewjO9JVr8NU
I've cleaned out the MAF, and the issue is still here, may look into buying a new MAF, I have a knock sensor en route, I haven't pressure washed the engine bay ... so that's not a culprit there..
Old 06-26-2017, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tanner Binagia
I've cleaned out the MAF, and the issue is still here, may look into buying a new MAF, I have a knock sensor en route, I haven't pressure washed the engine bay ... so that's not a culprit there..
Just FYI, only buy oem original Nissan maf sensors and not aftermarket ones. Otherwise you'll experience issues at hand that will make the car behave erratically. Go on eBay buy some used ones which are cheap or look on our Maxima.org forum to see if any are for sale. The part number for the maf is 22680 31U00 A36-608 E60 and the updated part number for the newer maf model is 22680 31U00 A36-608 E61 which both are oem. If you don't find any mafs on the forum here under our classified parts for sale section you can check ebay by using either of these part numbers. Also if you want a new oem Nissan one you can buy it on amazon which is sold by Beck Arnley 158-082. Apparently there selling a new one for 164 and a returned one for 115.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:19 PM

Have you checked the plugs? Are they NGKs? If not, replace them. These cars only like NGKs.