4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pioneer AVH-290BT Head Unit Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:08 PM

Pioneer AVH-290BT Head Unit Upgrade

Today, I successfully replaced my previous stereo upgrade with the Pioneer AVH-290BT.

I previously had a Boss brand stereo, but had a few issues. First, there was a high-pitched hiss which never went away even though I put all types of grounds on the system and a filter on the audio. Second, that Boss stereo started to reset its own time. Third, sometimes the Boss stereo would change the channel (!) -- seemed like the display screen was somehow stuck. Fourth, the volume always seemed low -- and I had started to consider changing the speakers.

However, benefits of the new Pioneer stereo:
1) the hiss is gone (still keeping the line filters on at the moment)
2) stereo has a better screen touch and overall layout
3) adds iPhone capability including mic for hands-free phone
4) volume is restored -- way better than the Boss system ever was
5) the screw holes match better than the Boss unit -- all six attachment screws matched the original Clarion/Bose head unit
6) plays DVDs

One installation note -- my particular unit went off and on during the installation, and the issue was that the antenna connector to the stereo had to be bent a bit out so it made a solid contact with the connection tunnel.

Finally, some notes on the wiring:
1) you may connect the blue/white to the blue -- that connection makes the antenna go up while the stereo is on (radio or not) -- but then when the unit is off, the antenna goes down
2) you may connect the orange/white to the orange -- that connection makes the unit brightness a bit dimmer if the parking lights or driving lights are on

(This wiring picture is for Pioneer brand, only intended as a general guide)

Old 07-09-2017, 07:16 AM

Looks great! I'm sure you are enjoying it.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:34 AM

Unit looks great. I always loved Pioneer and Kenwood stuff.

A while back, I went with a full touch-screen unit and regret it. Reason being, I am unable to adjust the volume without looking over at the screen (taking my eyes off the road), as compared to a unit with a physical ****. They have some double-din touch-screen units with a **** which I will most likely use in the future.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 AM

i have an avhp 3400 bt pioneer double din touch screen, 2 things i don't like are: buttons are too close together, so i frequently hit the wrong button, and not having a volume ****. just 2 little arrow buttons that i have to depress to turn volume up or down. and also, the satellite radio has only one line for the info on the song, artist so you have to sit there and wait for it to scroll across, annoying.