4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do ghost codes matter? What does the ECU do with them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 PM

Do ghost codes matter? What does the ECU do with them?

I've been reading about this and getting more confused. **I know there are some KS threads already, I just want to really understand what's going on

Title says it - if I have a ghost code for the KS, does that mean that the ECU is ignoring input from it? Does it have any effect on being able to detect and respond to knocking? And is there any reason to fix it?

I have a bad rear O2 sensor that routinely throws a code and turns on SES light. The 0304 KS code always accompanies it. I know the KS code is a ghost because the same thing happened for a front O2 sensor before I replaced it.

Of course, there is no point in replacing the rear O2, so is there any harm in just leaving everything as-is?

I have also read that the KS cannot set the SES light, only store a code. Is this correct? I had the idea of clearing the codes, driving some, and checking codes again before the SES light came back on to see if only the KS code was there. When I did this, both rear O2 and KS codes were set, even though the light wasn't on yet. What does this mean?

Last edited by plat; 08-10-2017 at 08:26 PM.