4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My 1996 GLE was stolen

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 03:23 PM

My 1996 GLE was stolen

It's my turn.

My wife and I bought this car together, as our first new car purchase as a "team", in 1996. We had a lot of miles and memories in that car. It was pretty reliable, in pretty good shape. It was going to get our kids through college. Oh well.

I think I may look for a logical replacement for it, possibly a late Gen 5 car. I'm not a big fan of Gen 6 and up. If I can find a good, solid, rust-free example, how much would it cost?

I've done everything to this car, too. Fixed the dreaded charcoal canister. Fixed the under-inner-timing-cover leak. Replaced the half-shafts, water pump, heater core, struts, brakes... It was removing the dash and fixing that oil leak that really made this personal. I'll miss the old car.

It was stolen 8/12 in the early morning hours, and it's now 8/15. What are the chances they'll find it relatively intact? I figure if they wrecked the engine or took out the seats, it'll be totaled. How often are they found? How often are they totaled?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:36 PM

I had my Camry stolen 3 times. Twice for just joyrides, got it back with no damage. The third time, they stole it because I had just gotten new tires. I got it back with old tires on it, but no damage. It depends who took it and why.... Could be joyriders out for summer fun. The last time it was stolen, it took 2 weeks to get it back. That's because the police were too lazy to report they found it. When I got it back, it had a week old parking ticket on it. Lazy ba.....ds.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:25 PM

Well, I hope it's returned...

Just for fun, I looked at the Thrifty rental used car site. Wow, what an odd collection of cars they have for sale. They have a pretty loose definition of "late-model cars."

A 2004 TSX for $6,000. I wonder how bad the accident was that's prompting them to sell it. A 2007 New Beetle convertible.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Sorry for your loss.

Cost of a replacement or 5th gen depends heavily on where you live. Use KBB and Autotrader/Craigslist to gauge an average cost for your area.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 PM

So sorry to hear this news. I truly hope it is recovered again and undamaged.

Have you looked at the classifieds on this forum as well as craigslist and even ebay? Perhaps you could pick up another 4th Gen. as you obviously know a lot about them.

Question.... you mentioned a "dreaded charcoal canister" issue. Can you expound on that a bit more when you have some time? I wrote a post about my 95 (owned since new like yours) giving off a strong smell of gas after driving around and parked in the garage. Apparently, I have a federal emissions system with the "coffee can" shaped canister that I'm told is discontinued. Was this the issue you faced? I may have to live with the issue. Thanks
Old 08-16-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Will92
So sorry to hear this news. I truly hope it is recovered again and undamaged.

Have you looked at the classifieds on this forum as well as craigslist and even ebay? Perhaps you could pick up another 4th Gen. as you obviously know a lot about them.

Question.... you mentioned a "dreaded charcoal canister" issue. Can you expound on that a bit more when you have some time? I wrote a post about my 95 (owned since new like yours) giving off a strong smell of gas after driving around and parked in the garage. Apparently, I have a federal emissions system with the "coffee can" shaped canister that I'm told is discontinued. Was this the issue you faced? I may have to live with the issue. Thanks
​​​​​​
evap canister or the evap purge valve? I know these clog up and can cause gas smell, on my 99 it's a redesigned setup BC the evaps gets clogged