4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Obd system monitors - 'E' not ready

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Obd system monitors - 'E' not ready

I had a check engine light problem that was corrected (thank you to all those that helped with that) I then cleared it with a code scanner, all monitors now are ready except the 'E' monitor. I have driven a little over 200 miles in the last 2 days.

What is the 'E' monitor and how can I get it to show ready ?

Also, I'm in NY will my 97 Maxy pass with this one monitor not ready ?

Thank you...
Old 08-16-2017, 03:01 PM

I had this problem during my last smog test. According to the smog guy, it's a common issue he has seen with this car (mine is the same year as yours, so not sure if it's common among all). He ended up just ignoring that issue during the smog test.

I've always had problems with my OBD2 port though. A Scangauge that I purchased would have readout issues on the Max, but work fine on all other cars.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
I had this problem during my last smog test. According to the smog guy, it's a common issue he has seen with this car (mine is the same year as yours, so not sure if it's common among all). He ended up just ignoring that issue during the smog test.

I've always had problems with my OBD2 port though. A Scangauge that I purchased would have readout issues on the Max, but work fine on all other cars.
Is your clock working? There is a fuse that, if it blows, will cause the clock and OBDII port to stop working.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 PM

Everything is working. It's just the OBD2 port has issues with the Scangauge I purchased. My friend used a different handheld OBD2 scanner and it worked fine.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Everything is working. It's just the OBD2 port has issues with the Scangauge I purchased. My friend used a different handheld OBD2 scanner and it worked fine.

My scanner originally didn't work, I was about to return it when I tried one last time. Then it worked, and has worked ever since.
A garage I brought it to also told me they couldn't get a reading and said there was a problem with my OBD.

Yet I go every year for inspection and they have no problem. It seems that maybe some may have intermittent problems.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:03 PM

You can have two monitors not ready and still pass.

From 2001-on, you can only have one monitor not ready.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
You can have two monitors not ready and still pass.

From 2001-on, you can only have one monitor not ready.

Great thank you Maxi ! I took it in this morn and it passed inspection.

Though after more than 300 miles the EGR monitor is still not ready. What do you have to do to get this one to reset !
Old 08-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Will it pass if i have two monitors ready and CEL's for knock sensor and EGR?
Old 08-23-2017, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by eddie982
knock sensor doesn't matter, it's a ghost code. you can probably clear them and then run the car for about a half an hour before the test. got to be good and hot before the test.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by eddie982
If the CEL is on, you automatically fail
Old 08-25-2017, 10:39 PM

Ok thanks, I'll reset the codes tomorrow and hope the car is warm enough with two systems ready before the ****** cel comes on, race to the inspection station!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:02 AM
Rit

Originally Posted by max ride 41
knock sensor doesn't matter, it's a ghost code. you can probably clear them and then run the car for about a half an hour before the test. got to be good and hot before the test.
In NY, it will not pass by following your suggestion. You will come up with a "system not ready " code, and they will tell you to come back "later". Without a specific scanner, you will not know when "later" is. Otherwise, everyone would just clear their codes in the inspection station parking lot.

Don't ask me how I know !