4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help - Reinstalling Power Steering Pump Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help - Reinstalling Power Steering Pump Tensioner

As the title states, I'm looking for some assistance/recommendations on how to re-install the tensioner bolt and locking bolt (hope I'm referring to these correctly).

Long story short, when attempting to replace my power steering belt, I accidentally loosened the tensioner lock bolt too much, and subsequently the assembly is now entirely out (12mm bolt, 14mm tensioner bolt and female connector).

To get at the space, I cut the belt and removed the pulley to gain access. Even with the pulley removed, the space is extremely difficult to work in. I can get the tensioner bolt back into the bracket between the head and the ridge, but it's then very difficult to try and blindly position the lock bolt and hand thread. I've only found a few posts/info on the topic, but it does seem as though it's doable without removing everything, which I'm hoping is possible. I've already thrown a few hours at it with no luck.

Hoping that maybe someone has tackled this and has some recommendations. Otherwise, it may be over my head at this point. Alternatively, if I were to re-install the drive belt and leave the tensioner and pulley off, would I be able to drive/limp this to a shop (albeit without p/s?)

Appreciate any help!
Old 08-21-2017, 06:55 PM

At one time, I thought my ps pump was leaking, so I prepared an attacking plan.

If I were you, I would try to reinstall the locking bolt, #29, 12mm. If this is done, everything else would fall into place. I would do it from the top.
-use rachet-style wrench, duct-taped to a metal bar to a specific length with hope that I can tighten the bolt from the top.
-tape the bolt #29 and washer to the wrench, set in locking direction. No tape, can use a piece of paper.
-use left hand's fingers to guide the bolt into the bracket hole, apply pressure. Right hand attempt to tighten the bolt from the top. Or ask another one for help.

Explore various body's positions to follow your arms' curvature.
Do it by feel

I did not do it since it is not needed but I did some practice/experiment at it.

Good luck!

PS pump diagram (top left corner) and bolt #29.
Attached Thumbnails Help - Reinstalling Power Steering Pump Tensioner-psbracket.png   Help - Reinstalling Power Steering Pump Tensioner-gearwrench-20pc-ratcheting-wrench-set.jpg  
Old 08-21-2017, 07:37 PM

Lol...I had just did my drive belt today, and also bought the power steering belt. The V belt was about to split. But I inspected the power steering belt, didn't see any cracks or splits like the other belt, and said HEEELLLLL NO...it stays! It almost looks like you have to remove the CV axle or rack or pinion or whatever that axle thing is to get to it.

Now if one day Firestone or whoever wants to tell me, "your power steering belt needs to be replaced", I'll say GO RIGHT AHEAD!

I kinda ran into some trouble with my tensioner pulley, the bolt was frozen and I decided to remove the pulley all together. So I feel your pain, but no...I was not going to **** with that PS belt.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by saig
At one time, I thought my ps pump was leaking, so I prepared an attacking plan.

If I were you, I would try to reinstall the locking bolt, #29, 12mm. If this is done, everything else would fall into place. I would do it from the top.
-use rachet-style wrench, duct-taped to a metal bar to a specific length with hope that I can tighten the bolt from the top.
-tape the bolt #29 and washer to the wrench, set in locking direction. No tape, can use a piece of paper.
-use left hand's fingers to guide the bolt into the bracket hole, apply pressure. Right hand attempt to tighten the bolt from the top. Or ask another one for help.

Explore various body's positions to follow your arms' curvature.
Do it by feel

I did not do it since it is not needed but I did some practice/experiment at it.

Good luck!

PS pump diagram (top left corner) and bolt #29.
I didn't think it would be possible to get to from the top, but I will take a look. Seems like it may just be trial and error to get it back in, but I'm hopeful I'm not the only one that's made this mistake
Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 AM

I tried again this morning. I can feel the bolt while lying on top across the engine bay.

Hope it does not sound like car ****!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by saig
I tried again this morning. I can feel the bolt while lying on top across the engine bay.

Hope it does not sound like car ****!
Just make sure you wear a rubber, eh....glove when you're feeling all up in there.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:26 PM

I remember it was tight, but I used a hand and worked from the fender well side.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:50 PM

Get one of these and then extend it with a 12" piece of 3/4" copper pipe and make the end slightly oval to fit over the wrench end. Lots of leverage and a six sided box for no rounding of the bolt! I couldn't believe what a difference it made. Use a little crazy glue to hold the bolt in to get it started.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by KP11520; 08-25-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:42 AM

This video may help. At roughly 5:40 minutes in it goes into the tensioner removal.

Note the tensioner is reverse thread.

You can drive the car without a power steering belt steering to get it to a shop if you need help. It will be hard to steer, but it can be done.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be going in for round 2 in the next day or two and will update. Appreciate it!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, 2 attempts and a few frustrating hours later, the car is back together!

In my experience, there's just no easy way to do it if you end up in this situation. I was not able to access it from above as one member suggested. Ultimately, it was trial and error to get the lock bolt for the tensioner lined up with the pump once the tensioner belt was placed in the bracket. From there, just some blind fiddling until I could get a few threads started. A good amount of luck was involved, ha.

Anyway, for anyone considering attempting this job (replacing power steering belt) - it's more involved than the DIY's let on. Even thought I made a mistake which caused it to be a longer job, everything about it is a frustrating experience. If it were to come up again, I'd think about having someone else tackle for the piece of mind alone.

Thanks to all who responded with tips and recommendations. Just knowing it could be done was enough to keep at it and I'm glad I didn't cave and limp it to a shop.

Last edited by chase84; 09-23-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Father of the 00 VI

The funny thing i find is this. Stay with me folks

This took you hours to do. And many people will drop a lot of money going to movies doing whatever.

With all the work you know i do to my cars. Some things it is NOT worth the money doing yourselves.
Power steering belts i have the dealer do. It is worth it trust me.I put the belts on the engines when they are out but the power steering belt i have never done one, with the engine in and never will.

For $60-70 it is worth having the dealer do it.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help help help! Please please!

Originally Posted by chase84
Well, 2 attempts and a few frustrating hours later, the car is back together!

In my experience, there's just no easy way to do it if you end up in this situation. I was not able to access it from above as one member suggested. Ultimately, it was trial and error to get the lock bolt for the tensioner lined up with the pump once the tensioner belt was placed in the bracket. From there, just some blind fiddling until I could get a few threads started. A good amount of luck was involved, ha.

Anyway, for anyone considering attempting this job (replacing power steering belt) - it's more involved than the DIY's let on. Even thought I made a mistake which caused it to be a longer job, everything about it is a frustrating experience. If it were to come up again, I'd think about having someone else tackle for the piece of mind alone.

Thanks to all who responded with tips and recommendations. Just knowing it could be done was enough to keep at it and I'm glad I didn't cave and limp it to a shop.
I can’t get the damn long 14mm bolt in. Number 27 I think it is.. do I need the lock but in before I put this in? Every time I try and screw it in, it just acts like it’s in place feels like the threads are started so I put a wrench on it spin in for 20 min ( cause I can only get about 1/4 a spin at a time) only to find out it will just pull right out like I didn’t screw anything. I’ve been at it for 2 days and about to go out find John wick to do me in! Please help I’m not gonna get an asset anytime soon if at all am I?
Old 08-14-2020, 07:34 AM

Old 08-24-2020, 08:38 PM

Why was this so difficult?