4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacing Cruise Control / ASCD stopper

Old 11-07-2017, 05:32 AM

Replacing Cruise Control / ASCD stopper

Ok,

What is the part number for the stopper that the cruise sensor on the brake pedal is supposed to push against? I might try the whole "dime and contact cement" method, but I'd much rather just get the original part.

Also, loosening the master brake cylinder was suggested on nicoclub.com. which seems like a good idea:

It takes about 10 mins but is so simple it's ridiculous...If you loosen the brake master cylinder from the brake booster, you'll be able to push the brake pedal all the way to the floor without having to bleed the brakes afterwards. Pull the two nuts holding the master cylinder onto the booster and grab a friend because you will need an extra hand for the next step. Now, lay the driver's seat back all the way down so the seat is almost completely flat. Lay down on the seat with your face looking up under the steering column. Have your friend push the brake pedal all the way down with a piece of wood or other reach-extending device. Once the pedal is all the way down, you'll be able to just push the replacement stopper into the hole on the pedal assembly with your thumb and index finger.
Does that seem sane? I took the car to a shop in town with explicit instructions and they said it was too tight to get back there... Second time they've told me they can't do something. Somehow the IT guy with minimal experience (me!) keeps solving the problems they can't fix...

Last edited by Shrout1; 11-07-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I'll sell you mine it's working. Car see's light use i don't need my cruise anymore. $18 shipped
Old 11-07-2017, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
I'll sell you mine it's working. Car see's light use i don't need my cruise anymore. $18 shipped
Thanks! Let me explore my options and I'll get back to you - I actually would feel bad cannibalizing another functional 4th gen to keep mine working... I need to get the fix done before the end of December so I'll let you know
Old 11-07-2017, 06:51 PM

I forgot about that thing. Maybe that's why my cruise doesn't work...
Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 PM

The part is called STOPPER-RUBBER.
The part number is 46584-5P010.
The suggested list price is $14.05
Old 11-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The part is called STOPPER-RUBBER.
The part number is 46584-5P010.
The suggested list price is $14.05
Looks like you helped someone else with this issue to!

Wish that part was cheaper... ugh. Silly part... What in the world was the rationale for making a rubber / plastic piece when a metal plate would have accomplished the same thing?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:18 AM

I had to replace the bumped on my 97 originally. I looked up the part number and went to Courtesy Nissan to buy it. When I gave the number to the parts guy, he opened a drawer in the counter where we were standing and gave it to me, no charge. I sure as heck didn't complain.

After you install the bumper, one thing to check is that the switch is not holding the brake pedal from fully retracting. There should still be a little bit of switch push button sticking out. Otherwise the brake pedal will break the switch from banging into it all the time. You want to be able to slide something thin between the switch and the brake pedal.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I had to replace the bumped on my 97 originally. I looked up the part number and went to Courtesy Nissan to buy it. When I gave the number to the parts guy, he opened a drawer in the counter where we were standing and gave it to me, no charge. I sure as heck didn't complain.

After you install the bumper, one thing to check is that the switch is not holding the brake pedal from fully retracting. There should still be a little bit of switch push button sticking out. Otherwise the brake pedal will break the switch from banging into it all the time. You want to be able to slide something thin between the switch and the brake pedal.
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to check when I fix it.

Search this Thread