4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car died while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Car died while driving

Yesterday afternoon on the way on highway, car was traveling around 60 mph and engine suddenly shut off, I put on neutral then restarted the engine and kept driving, then check engine light started flashing, I happen to have my scanner with me so I plugged the scanner and scanned the code when I was driving, it was a pending code p0306, cylinder 6 misfire, so I cleaned the code while I still kept driving, few minutes later, check engine light stared flashing again, same pending code, cleaned the code, came back few minutes later, so I kept cleaning the code while I proceeded driving to home, I noticed that car was sputtering a little when the code popped up and after I got home, I opened the hood, I did smell something was burning lightly.

Today I start the car, still little sputtering so pull cylinder #6 coil out, it looks fine, no burning sign, I even pull the spark plug out, nothing out of ordinary. I happen to have another ignition coil so I installed that one, the car runs much smoother, however, I also got a pending p1320 code, clean the code, let the car warm up, shut engine off, re-start the car, everything sounds normal.

I did get p0340 camshaft position sensor code few times in past couple of months, each time car cranks but won't start, trying again the car starts then check engine light is on, it was intermittent, could it be the camshaft position sensor gone wonky?

Last edited by theWalkinator; 11-11-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:27 PM
JvG

An intemittant spark plug will not stop a car.

But a crank position sensor will.

You might try cleaning it before you replace it.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:23 AM

My crank position sensor died earlier this year but threw no codes. The car was lurching and sputtering, had horrible power problems. Eventually the car would no longer start.

Ultimately had a shop replace it because I ran out of time to troubleshoot (had to leave on business). The part's not all that expensive and it appears that the swap isn't too bad either:

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...-location.html

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...r-located.html
Old 11-13-2017, 07:23 PM

It could be the sensor. However, a bad sensor pig-tail/ Connector could also be and issue. Check to make sure it feels snug when connected,and all the wires feel seated in the plug, when connected.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:02 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Reality sucks
It could be the sensor. However, a bad sensor pig-tail/ Connector could also be and issue. Check to make sure it feels snug when connected,and all the wires feel seated in the plug, when connected.
Yup.

Due to corrosion. Or just a loose contact. In fact, look at the contacts before assuming you have a bad sensor. Sometimes cleaning the contacts will
clear a code or solve an issue of some kind.

Sometimes it' possible to replace a sensor based on a code. But the real issue is the loose or corroded wire. So the car still runs like crap. Having eliminated the sensor, one can chase their tail for a while. While spending money along the way.