4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spedometer and cruise control dont work

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM

Spedometer and cruise control dont work

Hi every one I have a 97 gxe two things that I can't get to work is the cruise control and my switch on the steering wheel is bad I tested it. Where should I get another one from a dealer or online. The second issue I have is the speedometer is iffy it works but not all the time I replaced the vechicle speed sensor it does the same thing now I have not tested the new one yet I will try to shortly is there something else that could be making my speedometer not work all the time. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Cody Wayne
Hi every one I have a 97 gxe two things that I can't get to work is the cruise control and my switch on the steering wheel is bad I tested it. Where should I get another one from a dealer or online. The second issue I have is the speedometer is iffy it works but not all the time I replaced the vechicle speed sensor it does the same thing now I have not tested the new one yet I will try to shortly is there something else that could be making my speedometer not work all the time. Thank you.
Its usually the speedo head that goes bad in the gauge cluster. You'll have to get it from the dealer and theyll set your current mileage OR you can buy a used one close the your current mileage. The gauge is easy to swap just be gentle.

you can get the cruise switch at a dealer, I would go new on speedo head and switch or take a risk with a used part online.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Thanks for your help but the dealer said the cruise control switch is discontinued and buy they did point me to a person that can work on my speedometer my question is that I'll drive it to the store it works driving home it won't work till about 50 mph is that the speedometer gear on the instrument cluster
thank you
Old 12-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Black Lion

Thanks for your help but the dealer said the cruise control switch is discontinued and buy they did point me to a person that can work on my speedometer my question is that I'll drive it to the store it works driving home it won't work till about 50 mph is that the speedometer gear on the instrument cluster
thank you
Try to find the switch on eBay then.

Yes, the instrument cluster is your issue. Just replace the speedo head and you’re good to go.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:15 AM

So is the speedometer gear a common issue on these cars I'm just curious. Also my car throws a speed sensor code when the speedometer throws a fit would the gear cause that. Thanks
Old 12-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Black Lion

So is the speedometer gear a common issue on these cars I'm just curious. Also my car throws a speed sensor code when the speedometer throws a fit would the gear cause that. Thanks
I had the same issue with my 97. Got a code for speed sensor, a friend of mine who works for Nissan told me it’s a common issue for the speedo head in the gauge cluster to go. So I bought a new one from Nissan, they set my mileage and I replaced it easily.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:22 AM

Ok well that answers my questions for now thank you sir I know where to go now and hopefully solve my problems
Old 12-03-2017, 10:23 AM

Well thank you sir your insight has helped me and now I know where to go
Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Black Lion

Well thank you sir your insight has helped me and now I know where to go
That’s what this website is for You’re very welcome.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:00 AM

i just bought a used speedo cluster that had close to my mileage, drove it around the block and it worked fine. $160.00 like 8 years ago, that was actually a recall on our car back in the 90's.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:36 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by max ride 41
i just bought a used speedo cluster that had close to my mileage, drove it around the block and it worked fine. $160.00 like 8 years ago, that was actually a recall on our car back in the 90's.

I didn’t remember a recall for speedo head but I do remember the alternator recall.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:28 PM
Administrator

I'm thinking it's the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...peedo-cel.html

I don't believe ptatohed talked about it, but I know his cruise control failed to work when the VSS failed to work.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I'm thinking it's the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...peedo-cel.html

I don't believe ptatohed talked about it, but I know his cruise control failed to work when the VSS failed to work.
From my experience it was the speedo head in the gauge clusters. He mentioned he already replaced the speed sensor. You can test the VSS with a volt meter, directions can be easily looked up.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxprivate
From my experience it was the speedo head in the gauge clusters. He mentioned he already replaced the speed sensor. You can test the VSS with a volt meter, directions can be easily looked up.
My bad. I missed the part where he said he already installed a new VSS.