4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wheel bearing kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Wheel bearing kit

I was looking at this 21 piece kit to remove the front wheel bearing on my Maxima with out pulling the hub off and was wondering has anybody experienced using it ? Because I want to get a good bearing and save money with out having to get a a alignment.. shops want close to 200$ to do the job and then you need a alignment.. thanks
Old 12-02-2017, 02:03 PM

I have never heard of such a kit. Can you provide more info/details on it?
Old 12-02-2017, 02:28 PM

The old fashioned way is to pull the steering knuckle off the car. Takes me 30 minutes a side.

Press the hub assembly out of the bearing and knuckle. Remove seals from both sides, remove retailer clips both sides and press the bearing out of the steering knuckle.

Clean the insides thoroughly with brake cleaner. Coat with grease and insert one retainer. Press the bearing assembly in from the opposite side and secure with the other retainer clip. Add a little more grease and press in both seals. Inspect the hub assembly and if it's clean with no scores, you can press it in or buy a new one if damaged.

If you have ABS, do not try to disconnect it from the steering knuckle. Disconnect it in the engine compartment and remove the cable securing hardware before pulling the knuckle.

You can buy bearings, retainer clips and seals at most major chains or order NSK bearings on eBay. Your cost is $100 or so both sides. If you need new hub assemblies, that will increase, but usually if not left too long, they can be reused. (I prefer NSK bearing assemblies as they are very close to OEM, if not actual OEM)

Harbor Freight sells a 20 ton press for $150 with a coupon. They have a smaller version too. Or maybe you have a friend?

I hope your kit isn't laughable. Most gimmicks are.

Alignments are $80 at Mavis Discount Tires and there's usually a $20 coupon.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-02-2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by nissan99
I was looking at this 21 piece kit to remove the front wheel bearing on my Maxima with out pulling the hub off and was wondering has anybody experienced using it ? Because I want to get a good bearing and save money with out having to get a a alignment.. shops want close to 200$ to do the job and then you need a alignment.. thanks
. Here check it out
Old 12-02-2017, 04:42 PM
JvG

Regarding what KP said.....

Sometimes I fin myself with a situation where I can do 90 percent of a car repair my self, but I need to buy a seldom used tool for the other 10 percent. Or the task is a pita.

if the sub assembly I'm dealing with can be removed from the car, I will buy the part I need, then take the part and sub assembly to a shop. They have the tools and experience I need.

Pay a mechanic for the 10 percent which you can't manage by yourself.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:54 PM

I think this is great alternative to save money it might take a little longer but you buy the kit for 54$ bearing and what other stuff you need say 65$ .. no need for a alignment and if your other side goes you got the tool ready to go ..
Old 02-18-2018, 02:26 PM

The NSK (OEM manufacturer of Maxima bearings) way to replace the bearings.

Some noticeable differences though. Our knuckles use two retainer clips and two seals, one of each inside, and one of each outside.

The press and complimentary tools are invaluable. It keeps things square so the bearings and/or hubs don't skew while being pressed in. Using pressure on the outside ring of the bearing is MOST important. Pressure anywhere else will many times result in a ruined and noisy new bearing.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:24 AM

That's a nice video Keith ...

Here are those tools you'll only need to buy once:

$129.00 - https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ess-60604.html

$40.00 - https://www.harborfreight.com/10-pie...set-63261.html

$28.00 - https://www.harborfreight.com/large-...ator-3979.html