4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any idea what this noise is?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:28 PM

Any idea what this noise is?

So tonight we put on a shorter belt to bypass the failing a/c compressor clutch. When I started it back up the a/c noise was, obviously, gone, but now there's another noise...

Any idea what that could be? Idler pulley or power steering pump?
Old 12-27-2017, 10:16 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by hooloovoo
So tonight we put on a shorter belt to bypass the failing a/c compressor clutch. When I started it back up the a/c noise was, obviously, gone, but now there's another noise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-30umR1UBsA

Any idea what that could be? Idler pulley or power steering pump?
I tighten the belt until I can deflect the longest portion of the belt with moderate finger pressure.

Any less than that results in belt sqeal, while any more causes unhappy bearings in the tensioner and alternator.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:40 PM

Wow listening to this clip sounds like the machine that you use at a butchers meat shop. I think it could be a ps pump pulley or a harmonic pulley. Is it wobbling on the crank or the ps pulley. I just bought me a stethoscope. I am experiencing a similar problem but worse more like an screeching idler pulley or a alternator bearing. I got the scope so i will narrow it out with it.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 12-27-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:49 AM

If the noise you are referring to is the occasional rattling sound, than it might be the idle pulley top nut hitting its own bracket. For me, I did not have the top nuts flange resting against the the bracket and it would rattling occasionally at cold start. In the maintenance section of the service manual it actually gives you a range of torque specs to tension the oem belt. Once you are within that range than you tighten the pulleys nut to secure it.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MaxiNoob98
If the noise you are referring to is the occasional rattling sound, than it might be the idle pulley top nut hitting its own bracket. For me, I did not have the top nuts flange resting against the the bracket and it would rattling occasionally at cold start. In the maintenance section of the service manual it actually gives you a range of torque specs to tension the oem belt. Once you are within that range than you tighten the pulleys nut to secure it.
Can you clarify what the idle pulley top nut is? You mean the adjustment nut on top? What we ended up doing was loosening the bolt in the middle of the idler pulley a few turns, then losing the top adjustment nut a bunch, removing the belt, putting the new one on, tension the belt with the adjuster nut and then tightening down the idle pulley bolt.

I'm not sure what part in there could be loose or rattling though, but it definitely sounds like something is moving around. Also when I put pressure in the idle pulley nut and the top adjustment nut the sound didn't change which led me to believe it wasn't them.