Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   What features are our ~20 yr old Max's missing, and which would you want? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/700332-what-features-our-20-yr-old-maxs-missing-would-you-want.html)

DizzyEdge 01-12-2018 08:54 AM

What features are our ~20 yr old Max's missing, and which would you want?

I was just checking the wikipedia page for the newer versions of the max, and also remembering my old late 80s Supra, and came up with a list of features that came with other generations of the Maxima or other cars, that I might wish our 4th gens had. Did I miss any? Any of you add these to your max's?

Features from other Maxima gens which are probably fairly easily added:

Rear backup camera (these three via new stereo)
GPS nav
Aux input

better headlights
Proper cup holders

Features from other gens not easily added, or impossible:

Side air bags *1998 and up
4 wheel independent suspension
Traction control
Sport mode on automatic transmission
Digital touch entry
Sonar suspension
Side mirror turn signals

Features from other cars:

Headlight sprayers
Dead bulb warning on dash (eg tail lights, signal lights, etc)

Some of these of course might have been kind of worthless, eg sonar suspension, sport mode on tranny, digital touch entry etc. Curious to know if they were.

flames101sully 01-12-2018 09:36 AM

No I have not added any of these. I don't really care for the newer technologies. Visibility is great in these cars, so back up camera is not necessary. And for me CD, cassette, and radio are perfectly fine, no need for a screen. Maybe better headlights would be nice, but it's also nice knowing that your not constantly blinding other drivers.

-The main feature I would want would be all the saftey features (In terms of in the event an accident, not something like blind spot mirroring) of the newer vehicles

- Sonar suspension would be an interesting addition, but probably not worth the cost.

-6 speed manual with the heavier clutch.

- Dead bulb warning dash is useful

DizzyEdge 01-12-2018 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by flames101sully (Post 9166433)
No I have not added any of these. I don't really care for the newer technologies. Visibility is great in these cars, so back up camera is not necessary.

I'd agree with this.

-The main feature I would want would be all the saftey features (In terms of in the event an accident, not something like blind spot mirroring) of the newer vehicles
Same.

- Dead bulb warning dash is useful
This one I don't really understand why every car didn't have it. I had it on a 1987 Toyota Supra, and I believe it was some dead simple circuitry. Each brake lite side had two bulbs, if one burnt out a light on the dash would go on warning you, meanwhile you still had the 2nd bulb giving you a functioning but dimmer taillight.

That said, with tail lights on modern cars typically being multiple LEDs which likely last for decades and where a few dying would leave most intact, it may not be a feature needed any longer.

CS_AR 01-12-2018 01:55 PM

Just to be on par with my 27-year-old Q45 that has lighted door lock holes that unlock all doors from either the driver or passenger side, power lock controls on front doors, brake wear sensors, trunk release inside the glove box, valet keys, dual coolant fill caps.

maximaxi 01-12-2018 06:07 PM

I totally agree with the tail light out warning (like someone else said, Toyota was using them in the 80s, 10 years before the first 4th gen Maxima came out)

A digital dash or optitron gauges would be nice

The headlight washers would be good and useful.

A rear wiper would also help a LOT!

The headlights are terrible, but if you have an IU30, you can use the European-market Maxima's H4 headlights, which are glass.

max ride 41 01-12-2018 11:37 PM

you crazy, i added most of these features over the years. i have also added remote window lowering too. :D

Rit 01-13-2018 06:08 AM

How about memory driver's seat ?

flames101sully 01-13-2018 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rit (Post 9166484)
How about memory driver's seat ?

Only if it remembers it after you disconnect and reconnect the negative battery post. I have them on the 2003 and they are useless with the amount of times I am disconnecting the negative post.

Reality sucks 01-14-2018 03:03 AM

I would have like to had OE..

-A simple Trunk light.
-1 piece fog Lights..The little side screw covers are so hard to find these days
-High Mounted 3rd Brake Light
-Better Steering and Road Feel like Newer cars have...

Those are not really Features, just little **** about the 4th that drive me crazy..

schmellyfart 01-15-2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Reality sucks (Post 9166537)
I would have like to had OE..

-A simple Trunk light.
-1 piece fog Lights..The little side screw covers are so hard to find these days
-High Mounted 3rd Brake Light
-Better Steering and Road Feel like Newer cars have...

Those are not really Features, just little **** about the 4th that drive me crazy..

4th gens already have a trunk light :scratch:

One feature I've really come to enjoy in newer Nissans is the Request Switch on the outside door handles. Makes it really convenient to unlock/lock the vehicle without having to grab the keys out of my pocket.

Another I like is telescoping steering wheel.

allmazda 01-16-2018 12:13 AM

Under Dash floor light for both driver and passenger sides.