Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   23yo car Loud bang no gears work "transmission?" (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/700602-23yo-car-loud-bang-no-gears-work-transmission.html)

flynlr 02-13-2018 02:12 AM

23yo car Loud bang no gears work "transmission?"

95 Auto Trans 96K drove it like I stole it for last 23 years,,, wide open throttle to make a left turn in a gap in traffic and BANG! engine goes to high rev
and I have no ability to move in gear at all. I coasted the car to the side of the road parked and took a look underneath., no visible leaks or damage I could see at the time ,checked tranny fluid clear and smelled clean. the sound of marbles in a can anytime in any gear. can roll the car if in park. even in neutral the marble sound while diminished was still there. in park no noise while revving engine. will have towed to shop tomorrow but wanted thoughts on the matter from here. would breaking one of the CV's sound like this?. would car not move in gear if only 1 cv was gone? i will get it repaired either way

max ride 41 02-13-2018 02:45 AM

yes, sounds like you broke your trans axle shaft. more than likely you'll need to replace whole axle or maybe get away with just drivers side. lsd or non lsd?

flynlr 02-13-2018 02:50 AM

pretty sure non LSD it was cheapest GXE + security and Convenience ,,hell still running factory steelies lol.. forgot to mention. no codes at all.

ChrisMan287 02-13-2018 06:55 AM

Sounds like the trans is gone..

flynlr 02-13-2018 11:34 AM

and it was a catastrophic failure of one axle and the other was about done too.
remans ran for 60K and considering the OEM axles started clicking at 36K I cant complain.
whats weird is both boots were still sealed and in great shape . got off cheaply in my mind.
on to the next 23 years of driving this car.

max ride 41 02-14-2018 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by flynlr (Post 9168610)
and it was a catastrophic failure of one axle and the other was about done too.
remans ran for 60K and considering the OEM axles started clicking at 36K I cant complain.
whats weird is both boots were still sealed and in great shape . got off cheaply in my mind.
on to the next 23 years of driving this car.

knew it, had the same issue about 4-5 years ago and i thought it was the trans too. nope, trans axle popped and the trans was fine. i used napa and no issues since although i noticed the center boot is hanging loose.

vqmaxman 02-14-2018 11:37 AM

I had this happened to me exactly. I thought my axle was in all the way and it was in enough to get the car going in all gears. I installed my newly axle took the car on the beltway and wot launch turning right and a loud pop bang noise i heard. I was scared and pissed thinking my trans was toast. I got it towed home and checked the axle first. I saw it was popped out. I popped it back in and the car was driving again. It was a scary scene.