4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake pedal won't fully return, causes drag.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brake pedal won't fully return, causes drag.

Once my 97 GXE warms up a bit, the brakes start to drag. I think it's only the front right, but the front left will get hot too. After just a few miles, the car is not drivable. Once it cools down, they work fine for a few miles and then the process start over.

So far I have replaced the calipers, rotors and pads. I also got a master cylinder from a junk yard and replaced that. Bled the master. Bled all wheels but the problem persists.

When I was about to call it a night, my friend told me to pull the brake pedal back with my foot. Low and behold, it moves freely! The drag is gone...until I let off the back pressure I'd applied.

So...does anyone know what is going on? I have one friend saying it's the brake booster, and one saying it's the push rod that inserts into the master from the booster. I am stumped. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:05 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by BFox
Once my 97 GXE warms up a bit, the brakes start to drag. I think it's only the front right, but the front left will get hot too. After just a few miles, the car is not drivable. Once it cools down, they work fine for a few miles and then the process start over.

So far I have replaced the calipers, rotors and pads. I also got a master cylinder from a junk yard and replaced that. Bled the master. Bled all wheels but the problem persists.

When I was about to call it a night, my friend told me to pull the brake pedal back with my foot. Low and behold, it moves freely! The drag is gone...until I let off the back pressure I'd applied.

So...does anyone know what is going on? I have one friend saying it's the brake booster, and one saying it's the push rod that inserts into the master from the booster. I am stumped. Thank you.
​​​​​

The rubber brake hoses deteriorate from the inside out. The rubber starts to delaminate and peel.
That in turn basicly creates a one-way valve.
The rubber "valve" will allow brake fluid to pass while under pressure, but not when you take your foot off the brake. So the caliper will remain under some pressure.

The brake pads will drag on the rotor. That creates heat and will also cause the pad and rotor to wear.

It's possible that one side will stick, while the other side will operate normally. That will cause the car to want to turn right or left when you hit the brakes hard.

Replace both hoses.
​​​
Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Rit

Yep - what he said !
Old 03-06-2018, 09:14 PM

Upgrade to Goodridge SS lines....
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Another possibility are the slider pins on the caliper assembly.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Another possibility are the slider pins on the caliper assembly.
Agreed.