4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So My Wife Borrows My Max Today....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:18 PM

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
Old 02-26-2019, 01:09 AM
JvG

Just noticed the tinted windows.

That looks great on that car.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Mama looks like a nice car.

Removing certain encrustation's would add to its appeal.

Mechanical items are more important.

Good luck with it.
I think the removal of said encrustations will occupy a majority of the build time....lol.

And you noticed the MAMA, huh? I pulled the letters off but need to use a good, safe solvent to take off the adhesive...
Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
My first thoughts exactly...lmao!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
Just noticed the tinted windows.

That looks great on that car.
Evidently she just had them tinted a few weeks before. They did a fantastic job.
She put a lot of mechanic time into the vehicle. I have all the paperwork and receipts. I just don't understand why it threw a rod. She took it to the Nissan dealership to replace the alternator, who then sent her to a local mechanics shop to do the work. It was there over the weekend and picked up on a Tuesday. Thursday it threw a rod. I suspect the mechanics shop may have done something to it or maybe it was sabotaged somehow. Either way, with all the paperwork and upkeep she has documented, this car should be running for a long time to come yet.

It will have new life under my control!!

MUAHAHAHAHA!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:31 AM
JvG

My guess is that she didnt check the oil frequenly enough.

perhapse th engine leaked.

I commented on the tint because that is NOT included in the extra incrustations the previous owner installed.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:43 AM

what's up with the chrome (?) on three of the four rocker sills ?
Old 02-28-2019, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by reallywildstuff
what's up with the chrome (?) on three of the four rocker sills ?
Lmao!!.... Damn!! .... Nothing can escape the eye of an enthusiast!!.

Again....bedazzled. I found a strip of faux-chrome, flexible rubber door trim about a foot long under the seat. You know. The kind you buy in a roll on the DIY pin-striping, body modding, led flashing, gearshift customizing isle at Autozone? Removable backing for that on the go, super fast chrome trim repair job at midnight when Walmart closes?

I'm guessing she just cut strips of it off.....lol!
Old 02-28-2019, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by User1
Check it thoroughly for leftover hallucinogenics and psychedelics.
I looked.....

No luck!

t(' ~t')
Old 03-01-2019, 04:30 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how the engine threw a rod. That's rare for a VQ30.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:58 AM

Must of hydrolocked from either an excessive fuel leakage in the chambers or water within the air intake?
Old 03-02-2019, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
Must of hydrolocked from either an excessive fuel leakage in the chambers or water within the air intake?
I agree.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
I am curious about this as well. The rod punched a hole in the side of the block though.
She was telling me that when she picked up the car, the spark plugs were all different, her coil packs were swapped and it was just ratteling like "something was very loose in the engine" before it blew.
I really think the shop she went to pulled some sheisty **** on her and she was clueless.

All the paperwork she gave me was every repair and modification done to it over the years. She kept very good care of it and the engine should have lasted her for a looooooong time to come.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:58 AM

Ok

Finally! Since my job has decided, for the benefit of the companies fiscal growth, that they 'temporarily' give several employees very long vacations, I seem to have time on my hands to finish... Or start.... My much desired projects.

PHASE I:

Competed.... Pulled my good motor out of the wrecked Max.

I also took a quick pic of the frame damage done to my Max. From bend (X on far right) to front of car was a deviance of 2.75 inches of the main frame. The other 2 X's are where the frame hit the engine and pullies to cause 2 more bends in the frame.

Just useless info I shared just to keep this ongoing build as massive and padded as possible...😀

PHASE II:

Pulling the engine out of the new Max. Starting that today.
I can have it done in a day.... But....

The car is so damned clean under the hood!! If I hadn't seen the hole in the bottom of the engine block, you would never know it was blown!

For that reason, I am going to be very meticulous in the removal. I plan on taking all the various components out from under the hood, taking care to keep everything tagged, ordered and pretty!

Of course it will need some cleaning and detailing. I plan on painting the engine bay. The inside hood cover is like new, so, no work needed there. I am going to take a close look at the top end of this engine as well to see if it is worth replacing on mine. Obviously I am not concerned with the lower end...
Porting and polishing will be done today or tomorrow.
I am also waiting on an order for new seals, grommets, gaskets, PCV, timing chains, belts and Denso plugs (because I trust them and they perform).

PHASE III:

Check and replace all worn front end bushings, rods and arms.
Check and replace all worn rotors, calipers and pads.
Remove stock struts and springs. Install Megan Racing suspension. Adjust alignment, tracking and camber/caster.

More phases to come.... This should take me through the week.

I plan on keeping you all up to date...
And then this winter...... All the fun work begins!

Wish me luck!
Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 AM

And by the way.... All of the exterior bedazzling has been removed! No more sequins, jewels or sparklies anywhere!
Also took off the 'MAMA' badge and the 'Limited Edition' badge from the trunk deck as well as the glue-on hood scoop.

Another three or four days of scraping and I will have the interior cleaned too!
Old 09-23-2019, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Seems that you will end up with a nice car by the time you are done.

Do you plan on taking care of common issues like valve covers, the egr, the injectors, perhaps water pump before you install the engine? This would be the most convenient time to access those things..
I really would love to do a little bit more upgrading/refining/replacing of the old engine parts.

Here's the deal... I am putting a turbo on her this winter... So that means bigger injectors and remapping at the minimum. Was planning a 00VI install before the accident, but, never did for the obvious reason.

Serious question?

Should I still do a 00VI install if I am putting a turbo or keep the stock intake with bigger injectors?

Doing the VI, I would install a VAFC. Does the VAFC control the boost as well? If so, the 00VI would seem to be the logical choice to compliment the turbo.

Which means I should probably go ahead and pull these heads, replace the rings, rods and bearings. ....

If I really want to **** off the wife, I may as well throw down the extra $1700 for a new set of race cams......

PHASE IX, PHASE X, PHASE XI, PHASE XII.....

Seems I'm going through phases.......