4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing Passenger Axle Seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:05 PM

Removing Passenger Axle Seal

This is a 3.5 swap with equal length y pipe and hotshot headers. Trying to remove the passenger axle seal. Bought a seal puller from oreillys I can't even use because there's no room to angle it in far enough. This black peice bolted to the engine/trans and a heading to the back of the car above the exhaust is one of the things limiting my space, I have no idea what it is.

I simply need to remove the axle seal and the seal puller doesn't fit and I've heard someone say they did it with a screwdriver but space is limited and when I try wedging it into the outside edge of the seal it gives or it slips and its just not getting me anywhere

Oh yeah and I feel like I'm just knocking bits of seal and dirt and other crap into the trans bc my seal is dirty bc there's no dust shield on the old axle. I thought this was gonna be the easy part

Last edited by Violator; 04-26-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:50 PM

I just tried making my own puller and the seal gives in and tears when trying to pull it out
Old 04-26-2018, 08:57 PM

You should be able to use a screwdriver, those seals are not normally not that difficult.

I use a screwdriver that has a tip that is a half inch wide. This helps to distribute the force. You can also try putting something against on the case next to the seal and use it as a fulcrum point for the screwdriver. A quarter inch should be good enough.

Has the old seal even moved a little bit? If it is sticking up some, try to pry in other places to get the seal to be more even.

The worst case scenario for removing the seal would be to remove the driver axle and use a long drift to drive the seal out from the driver's side.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You should be able to use a screwdriver, those seals are not normally not that difficult.

I use a screwdriver that has a tip that is a half inch wide. This helps to distribute the force. You can also try putting something against on the case next to the seal and use it as a fulcrum point for the screwdriver. A quarter inch should be good enough.

Has the old seal even moved a little bit? If it is sticking up some, try to pry in other places to get the seal to be more even.

The worst case scenario for removing the seal would be to remove the driver axle and use a long drift to drive the seal out from the driver's side.
EDIT: I'm gonna leave everything below, but I had forgotten the definition of fulcrum point so I didn't understand what you were saying. My understanding is sticking a screwdriver or other object up from underneath and using that as leverage from left to right or vice versa with the other screwdriver wedged in from the direction of the wheel. And I also believe I was refferring to a bigger screwdriver than you but this isn't a size competition, I think the one I got to wedge in earlier will work with this method and I'll update this as soon as I wake up to try it.

I'm not following how to use the screwdriver in the first place, youre able to wedge a half inch tip screwdriver in between the seal and the tranny? I'm not seeing how you're able to wedge that big of a screwdriver in. Ive made 0 progress on getting it out other than ripping rubber out of the inner portion. I've got a big half inch tip screwdriver I could try and hammer hedge in there but I'd be afraid of damaging the case and it not sealing up right

I can't see inside the tranny but from working on it it seems like theres a lip that covers up the metal portion of the seal from the inside so all there is to grab onto is rubber which isn't working out and I was able to wedge a smaller screwdriver in there from the direction of the passenger tire but couldn't get any leverage with the limited space to bend the seal inwards

Only thing I can think of in my case is wedging a screwdriver in the bottom from the driver's side and having someone else keep the handle end against the exhaust while tapping the tip upwards from underneath the car with another screwdriver and a hammer which kinda sounds like the fulcrum point you're talking about I'm not familiar with the term

Last edited by Violator; 04-26-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:57 AM

Be careful not to damage the seal contact seat or transmission lip.

I've had the best experience using an adjustable head Lisle 56650 like the one in the picture. That one disappeared after the first or second use. So I need to get another one someday. The swivel head makes all the difference in reaching into the passenger side area. I think I filled down the tip on the long side so it would slide under the seal with less effort.

The most unconventional tool for seal removal and gasket contact area clean up is a beehive scraping tool.

Last edited by CS_AR; 04-27-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:02 AM

I know I use to have another seal puller that might of been swivel so it pained me to go out and buy another. I had lost my diy puller last night but found it peaking it's head out from on top of the crossmemeber this morning. Using that I saw a little play in the seal, I didn't think there was a solid lip to grab from the inside because it was so damn stubborn it seemed like part of the transmission I was grabbing onto. After I saw the seal move slightly I gave the puller I bought another try bc I had just been able to get it behind the rubber before and this time I got it behind the solid part of the seal and pulled like hell until it just popped out. Onto reassembly thanks guys
Old 04-27-2018, 12:05 PM

Excellent! Happy ending.