4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stainless Catback Exhaust choices

Old 06-02-2018, 11:56 AM

Stainless Catback Exhaust choices

So, it's perf'ing and farting again! Like 2 to 3 years.... again!

Looking for something that offeres OEM performance and lasts. Not interested in spending more for a few HP.

Anybody have any experience with this kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Catback-Cat-Back-N1-Exhaust-System-T304-Stainless-Steel-For-95-99-Nissan-Maxima/352252923383?fits=Year%3A1999%7CMake%3ANissan%7CMo del%3AMaxima&hash=item5203e90df7:gyUAAOSwFMdacVD ~&vxp=mtr

Or can suggest something (from experience) that works with no hassles?
Old 06-02-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
So, it's perf'ing and farting again! Like 2 to 3 years.... again!

Looking for something that offeres OEM performance and lasts. Not interested in spending more for a few HP.

Anybody have any experience with this kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Catback-Cat-Back-N1-Exhaust-System-T304-Stainless-Steel-For-95-99-Nissan-Maxima/352252923383?fits=Year%3A1999%7CMake%3ANissan%7CMo del%3AMaxima&hash=item5203e90df7:gyUAAOSwFMdacVD ~&vxp=mtr

Or can suggest something (from experience) that works with no hassles?
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/categories/car-exhaust/nissan/95-99-nissan-maxima.html

They let you customize size, material, and resonator. You won't lose as much low end with 2.5 if you're NA but if you're turbo you'd probably want 3inch. I didn't see any mention of mandrel bent in that eBay one you posted I'd double check if that's what you decide to go with

EDIT: I can't read clearly states 2.5" mandrel bent in the description

Last edited by Violator; 06-03-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:28 PM

Of course it's mandrel bent, you silly! LOL

No turbo, so 2.5" should be fine! I'm just wondering if anybody used one and the fitment was right on and whatever muffler was quiet? And if not, can another be used (fit) instead?

It would be nice for a bolt right up and be done with it for a long time kind of win!

Originally Posted by Violator
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/categories/car-exhaust/nissan/95-99-nissan-maxima.html

They let you customize size, material, and resonator. You won't lose as much low end with 2.5 if you're NA but if you're turbo you'd probably want 3inch. I didn't see any mention of mandrel bent in that eBay one you posted I'd double check if that's what you decide to go with
Old 06-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Keith,

I’ve got a Megan Racing full SS system, and have been running it for a number of years now.

I quite like it ...

It can be loud and stupid, but depending on the combination it can be nice very nice.

PM me or text if you wanna talk about it ...
Old 06-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Loud cars are safe cars. People hear you coming down the road and try to get out of your way.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:52 PM

Well I was just saying to be sure the pictures look mandrel but it doesn't even mention that and you think it would all I know is you've found a cheap eBay kit I've never heard of and the pictures look like stock photos I've seen on every other one like it

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Loud cars are safe cars. People hear you coming down the road and try to get out of your way.
Yeah less likely for your pride and joy to get hit by someone not paying attention. I don't like stock quiet and I don't like loud, I'd like to replace the 4inch muffler with a silencer with a quieter borla, my volume is maybe just a little over where I want it but I feel like the silencer is costing me too much airflow

Last edited by Violator; 06-02-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:53 PM

Hey V, right from the ad at the bottom: It is a 2.5" mandrel bent catback exhaust system that allows the exhaust gas to exit with as little back pressure as possible

I'm freakin OLD guys....

But CR_AR might have a couple years on me. LOL

But this ain't a Harley. Loud Pipes Save Lives! Or My GS1150ES.

I like to hear myself think, although it IS quite noisy in my head. The mechanized hum of another world. (Extra points if you can identify the song WITHOUT using Google).

Tb.... was it expensive? My car has dents and a peeling hood. Not a beauty like yours and Craig's.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:56 AM

Hey V, right from the ad at the bottom: It is a 2.5" mandrel bent catback exhaust system that allows the exhaust gas to exit with as little back pressure as possible

I'm freakin OLD guys....

But CR_AR might have a couple years on me. LOL

But this ain't a Harley. Loud Pipes Save Lives! Or My GS1150ES.

I like to hear myself think, although it IS quite noisy in my head. The mechanized hum of another world. (Extra points if you can identify the song WITHOUT using Google).

Tb.... was it expensive? My car has dents and a peeling hood. Not a beauty like yours and Craig's.
What, I swear that wasn't there yesterday idk how I missed that
Old 06-03-2018, 09:04 AM

I've seen that exhaust before. That is a great price for a mandrel-bent 304 exhaust!

My reservations against it are what does it sound like? I don't want something too loud or ricey, and I'm not a fan of that huge tail pipe either.

The Trubendz/MES looks good, too, but requires a bit more effort. I would of course keep a muffler and resonator with it.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:07 AM

I am still in the works with the srs guys i am waiting for him to get me the shipping label so i can give him the sample that he is looking for so from there he will get the car and the sample to start the process for the exhaust production.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I had to change my ways though.. People down the street complained.

Sadly, over the weekend, I learned my cool neighbor who didn't mind living next to a garage with a lot of air powered impact tools is moving. :-(
Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 PM

http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...ng-system.html

3" is nice but they have smaller if you really must have a silent exhaust.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:43 PM

So, after getting my 99 SE Cali Spec on the lift, my flex pipe is toast as is the original Y-Pipe. The Front Cat can stay. So everything after the front cat (bolted to the front exhaust manifold) has to go.

And it's Cali Spec and I'm in freakin NY. That means CARB compliant and EXPENSIVE. So I bought a Bosal Y-Pipe Cali Spec that will continue after the front Cat and has the rear Cat incorporated and bolts to the rear exhaust manifold as well, and then continues to the Rear Cat. $325

There are VERY few CARB compliant Rear Cats for this car and the only one with decent user ratings is the Magnaflow 441704. Stainless at least. $423.

Now I need two O2 sensors that live in the old Y-Pipe. What they are called based on position is NOT intuitive. Anybody know which two I need? This is a four O2 Sensor system. I need the two closest to the Rear Cat.

Then comes the Catback system.

I'd prefer buying something that someone has had GREAT experience with. Maybe Stainless, but definitely close to stock quiet and reasonably priced. Oh yeah.... Cali Spec. OUCH! Spending a GRAND on exhaust for a car maybe worth a Grand sucks!

Still hoping somebody has crossed this road before and will share good experience(s).

Thanks Gang!
Old 06-23-2018, 04:38 PM
JvG

I'll wade in here without really knowing what I'm talking about.

Kp, you have a California car, but you need only to comply with NY regulations.

I would enquire with the NY emissions authorities about wheather your entire system has to remain all California standards, or if a hybrid system is permitted.

I'm thinking that a NY complaint catback system could be grafted onto the rear of the portions you have which are still good.

if that is permitted, you will be able to save quite a bit of money.

You might need to attach spark plug anti-foulers to fool the ecu so that it won't throw a code.

The anti foulers were originally intended for engines which burn a lot of oil. But some people use them for unauthorized reasons like I mentioned.

I'll leave moral issues about this approach to the NY emmissions authority and your self.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:57 AM

So, after getting my 99 SE Cali Spec on the lift, my flex pipe is toast as is the original Y-Pipe. The Front Cat can stay. So everything after the front cat (bolted to the front exhaust manifold) has to go.

And it's Cali Spec and I'm in freakin NY. That means CARB compliant and EXPENSIVE.

Now I need two O2 sensors that live in the old Y-Pipe. What they are called based on position is NOT intuitive. Anybody know which two I need? This is a four O2 Sensor system. I need the two closest to the Rear Cat.

You should replace all the oxygen sensors when replacing the cats.

I think these are what you need. The brand name is NTK (NGK):
24574 downstream right
24572 downstream left
24525 upstream right
24521 upstream left

upstream = before the cat
downstream = after the cat
Old 06-24-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
You should replace all the oxygen sensors when replacing the cats.

I think these are what you need. The brand name is NTK (NGK):
24574 downstream right
24572 downstream left
24525 upstream right
24521 upstream left

upstream = before the cat
downstream = after the cat

Thank you for clarifying upstream and downstream!

So, if similar logic applies, Right would be rear (firewall) side of the engine?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:35 PM

TruBenz/Mandrel Exhaust Systems 2.5" tubing kit, or you can buy their complete Catback system...I believe in stuffing the largest mufflers that'll fit under a car is the rule of thumb to live by!!!! Buy an ebay catback for the cheap and replace both the muffler and resonator with Magnaflow quality hardware!
Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
TruBenz/Mandrel Exhaust Systems 2.5" tubing kit, or you can buy their complete Catback system...I believe in stuffing the largest mufflers that'll fit under a car is the rule of thumb to live by!!!! Buy an ebay catback for the cheap and replace both the muffler and resonator with Magnaflow quality hardware!
No complete Catback systems.

So, I called Josh at Trubendz and got an education!

These are KITS only. That means mandrel bent pipe lengths (OEM specs), separate flanges and all the rest of the parts. These don't just need assembly, they need welding (and any cutting) to custom fit our needs. Resonator (if ordered) needs the same. They don't recommend any mufflers and only price and ship the part number(s) you supply them with. BTW, flanges and bolts are regular steel.

Like Josh said..... We only bend pipe all day!

He also said any muffler with T304 stainless steel is going to be performance based and quiet is not a goal. That leaves inferior T409 as the only OEM like rare choice. OUCH. Magnaflow has nothing specific for 4th Gens.

These POS gotchas are really pissing me off. This changes a lot IMO. And puts the price way over the top to pay a shop to do all the fitting and welding.........

I still have Fire and Theft coverage. Anybody know how to use all that fuel pressure to **** all over the engine compartment and look like a natural occurrence?
Old 06-25-2018, 02:08 PM

Of course it's mandrel bent, you silly! LOL

No turbo, so 2.5" should be fine! I'm just wondering if anybody used one and the fitment was right on and whatever muffler was quiet? And if not, can another be used (fit) instead?

It would be nice for a bolt right up and be done with it for a long time kind of win!
I have Trubenz on my 3rd and 4th Gen but it's a tubing kit and you fit the best and largest mufflers you can (I recommend Magnaflow) welding off the car after I mock fit everything, it cost me $40-$60 several yrs ago...Both my kits are 2.5" catback tubing kit utilizing 5" x 8" x22" Magnaflow muffler for the rear, and 4" x 22" resonators...If you would like, I can make another Youtube video but with the Trubenz system so you can see it's actually pretty nice. I mocked it up in driveway under my car and installed it within a day or two...Too make things neater I would suggest you invest in at least a chop saw and maybe even a cheap welded to tack weld everything in place...Or you can mark everything then bring it unassembled and have a muffler tech weld or tack weld everything for you so you can test fit it before final welding or install...It was an easy system and so you know don't waste your money on mufflers that aren't of SS construction...I have Magnaflow mufflers that were installed back in 2000 that are still in excellent condition....Good luck!
Old 06-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Hey CMax03,

That's nice of you to offer! Thank you!

You did this on your driveway on your back? OUCH! How high did you lift your car to do this? Jack stand height? You must be young and/or thin. LOL

I have absolutely zero welding tools. Plumbing and sweating I can do in my sleep. Nor a metal chopsaw. Wood? Yes, as I was a remodeling contractor in a previous life. (younger) So, I do think if I had a lift and TIG welder with Argon Gas and SS wire, I might attempt it. But using regular wire and no Argon is asking for a poor weld that will, it time, break.

Anyway, a TIG welder with gas prices this way out of line. While I like everything you did and chose, my car is too beat looking (and 209K miles) for such an investment. And I already spent over $750 for a Y-Pipe, CARB Compliant Magnaflow SS Cat and two o2 sensors. When is the hemmoraging going to stop. AND I just did the strut rebuilds (OEM) for $900 and need Fuel Injectors and a rear Oil Seal too.

I'm drowning!

I have Trubenz on my 3rd and 4th Gen but it's a tubing kit and you fit the best and largest mufflers you can (I recommend Magnaflow) welding off the car after I mock fit everything, it cost me $40-$60 several yrs ago...Both my kits are 2.5" catback tubing kit utilizing 5" x 8" x22" Magnaflow muffler for the rear, and 4" x 22" resonators...If you would like, I can make another Youtube video but with the Trubenz system so you can see it's actually pretty nice. I mocked it up in driveway under my car and installed it within a day or two...Too make things neater I would suggest you invest in at least a chop saw and maybe even a cheap welded to tack weld everything in place...Or you can mark everything then bring it unassembled and have a muffler tech weld or tack weld everything for you so you can test fit it before final welding or install...It was an easy system and so you know don't waste your money on mufflers that aren't of SS construction...I have Magnaflow mufflers that were installed back in 2000 that are still in excellent condition....Good luck!

Last edited by KP11520; 06-25-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:29 PM

Hey CMax03,

That's nice of you to offer! Thank you!

You did this on your driveway on your back? OUCH! How high did you lift your car to do this? Jack stand height? You must be young and/or thin. LOL

I have absolutely zero welding tools. Plumbing and sweating I can do in my sleep. Nor a metal chopsaw. Wood? Yes, as I was a remodeling contractor in a previous life. (younger) So, I do think if I had a lift and TIG welder with Argon Gas and SS wire, I might attempt it. But using regular wire and no Argon is asking for a poor weld that will, it time, break.

Anyway, a TIG welder with gas prices this way out of line. While I like everything you did and chose, my car is too beat looking (and 209K miles) for such an investment. And I already spent over $750 for a Y-Pipe, CARB Compliant Magnaflow SS Cat and two o2 sensors. When is the hemmoraging going to stop. AND I just did the strut rebuilds (OEM) for $900 and need Fuel Injectors and a rear Oil Seal too.

I'm drowning!
Well, I'm not young nor thin, about 5'11" 220lbs, 52 yrs young , I used a floor jack and Jack stands that gave me about 18"- 24" of clearance...Damn why so much for your strut work? Rockauto.com carries KYB AGX front/rear for 1/3 the that price...I do all my own maintenance so I don't get screwed like that! But you can do this work yourself using a hacksaw, safety wire, or tiewraps, and a sharpie! I have nearly 300K on my 4th gen which is my beater...Great car I can get almost 440-450 miles per tank full..I don't have a welder yet but I'm getting one sometime this year... I'd tack weld them only them have them welded by a welder for less the $50...you can leave it alone or buy an entire catback system from Napa or online as an OEM replacement if you ever need too! I wanted more flow in and out of my engine so that's why I'm running a 2.5" ypipe, Catback, and Place Racing Cold Air intake...
Old 06-29-2018, 09:16 AM

Well, I'm older and have 30 pounds on ya! LOL

Been through KYB GR2's and Monroe Quick Struts and Moog Complete Strut assemblies. They either rode like a Rock or the mounts and bearings failed and springs clanked like the front end was metal on metal.

I'd LOVE to have an all Stainless Steel 2.5" catback with Magnaflow components. But another $500 for that is beyond painful. Nobody would weld that properly (SS wire and Argon Gas) for $50 here on Long Island. More like $200+ if I shop around.

THis is why it cost $900 to do it right (me doing everything): https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...op-bottom.html

Well, I'm not young nor thin, about 5'11" 220lbs, 52 yrs young , I used a floor jack and Jack stands that gave me about 18"- 24" of clearance...Damn why so much for your strut work? Rockauto.com carries KYB AGX front/rear for 1/3 the that price...I do all my own maintenance so I don't get screwed like that! But you can do this work yourself using a hacksaw, safety wire, or tiewraps, and a sharpie! I have nearly 300K on my 4th gen which is my beater...Great car I can get almost 440-450 miles per tank full..I don't have a welder yet but I'm getting one sometime this year... I'd tack weld them only them have them welded by a welder for less the $50...you can leave it alone or buy an entire catback system from Napa or online as an OEM replacement if you ever need too! I wanted more flow in and out of my engine so that's why I'm running a 2.5" ypipe, Catback, and Place Racing Cold Air intake...

Last edited by KP11520; 06-29-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 PM

Well, I'm older and have 30 pounds on ya! LOL

Been through KYB GR2's and Monroe Quick Struts and Moog Complete Strut assemblies. They either rode like a Rock or the mounts and bearings failed and springs clanked like the front end was metal on metal.
Sound like they left out your coil isolators!

I'd LOVE to have an all Stainless Steel 2.5" catback with Magnaflow components. But another $500 for that is beyond painful. Nobody would weld that properly (SS wire and Argon Gas) for $50 here on Long Island. More like $200+ if I shop around.
If you get everything fitted and marked and take it to them in the 3 piece form which is off the car...You'll be saving some money...The Trubenz tubing kit is inexpensive and so are the Magnaflow mufflers through Amazon...I don't think I spent $300 all together!

THis is why it cost $900 to do it right (me doing everything): https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...op-bottom.html
I'm sure you could save money doing alot of the work yourself!
Old 12-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Experienced Exhaust guys, hardware recommendations?

So, I decided to buy the Magnaflow SS CARB Compliant (required in NY) Y-Pipe and SS Rear Cat and 4 new O2 sensors. After investigating way too much, settled on Walker SS resonator pipe and Quiet-flow SS muffler and associated gaskets and SS polished tailpiece (OEM fit).

So, everything past the exhaust manifolds will be new and SS. Should I get a new manifold to Y-Pipe stud kit? Is SS available or just that Dorman kit? And what about the rest of the flange connections back? Stainless bolts, nuts and lock washers or locking nuts and regular washers? Sizes?

Stupid Money BTW!

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:53 AM

The Magnaflow Y-pipe is a good choice!
Old 12-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Q

The Magnaflow Y-pipe is a good choice!
I couldn't agree more. NICE SS and built to last! QUALITY!!!!

It arrived a little while ago and I see it only has two O2 ports and not the 4 that are required for my 06/98 to 03/99 California emissions model. (Manufacture date Jan 1999)

Back it goes! Now searching for something SS and CARB compliant with everything required. OUCH! Freaking 20 year old POS! Magnaflow now knows it DOESN'T fit those 9 month window of Cali emissions versions. I had to tell them!

So close and then Kicked in the FACE! Again! I have this inherent problem of insisting on doing everything right. What a beating over and over.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM

You can actually contact CARB itself, being that it's supposed to be licensed and officially approved. If it doesn't actually have the correct amount of oxygen sensor holes, that a big infraction. Send an email to helpline@arb.ca.gov with the Magnaflow part number, the EO number, the engine number assigned by CARB, etc. and take pictures of the Magnaflow and the stock converter you have on now. They can actually pull the certification (in fact, they actually do rescind exemptions based on the number of complaints they receive)

Magnaflow 444503
EO D-193-96
EFN XNSXV03.026A

Is that the one you purchased?

Last edited by maximaxi; 12-05-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:18 PM

Yup.... the 444503 is the wrong one. I did speak to Magnaflow in California and they weren't aware it didn't include the 06/98 to 03/99 California emissions versions as they are different than earlier California emissions models. Now they know and are sending a memo to the technical writers. We'll see if they change the tech specs for all the resellers and their own site for the 444503..

As far as making one that fits? Doubt it, as these were a small percentage of the total of 4th Gens and the decreasingly small percentage still on the road in CA or NY that have to follow CARB compliant.

I have also been in touch with CARB in CA and the Referee organization that rules on whether they can make exceptions. They referred me to the NY State EPA that handles it. Not very flexible. They don't care how expensive it gets making some non direct fit parts be welded together. If there's any solution, it must be followed and no exception. For a FREAKING 20 year old car.

I used HotExhausts.com. I think they are affiliated with Magnaflow. They don't have anything that will work.They are researching to see if there is anything else that can work from others.

You can actually contact CARB itself, being that it's supposed to be licensed and officially approved. If it doesn't actually have the correct amount of oxygen sensor holes, that a big infraction. Send an email to helpline@arb.ca.gov with the Magnaflow part number, the EO number, the engine number assigned by CARB, etc. and take pictures of the Magnaflow and the stock converter you have on now. They can actually pull the certification (in fact, they actually do rescind exemptions based on the number of complaints they receive)

Magnaflow 444503
EO D-193-96
EFN XNSXV03.026A

Is that the one you purchased?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:58 PM

You may be able to find universal pre-cats that fit the 99 Cali-spec Maxima.

Then, you can weld them on to the Warpspeed Y-pipe

Another option is Davico's return and rebuild service. Order this part number BUILD and take a look at this info page. They may be able to help you out.

Last edited by maximaxi; 12-05-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the Davico Idea. Going to call them today!!!!!!

Funny thing is I've been on the phone with AP Exhaust and need to call Hans back for hope of something like this and they own Davico and they don't even know this (obviously)

Way Cool!

EDIT: I thought Davico and AP were affiliated, but it's CatCo. Now I'm hoping for magic!

You may be able to find universal pre-cats that fit the 99 Cali-spec Maxima.

Then, you can weld them on to the Warpspeed Y-pipe

Another option is Davico's return and rebuild service. Order this part number BUILD and take a look at this info page. They may be able to help you out.

Last edited by KP11520; 12-10-2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: New information
Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Davico is a Dud..... They don't touch anything CARB Compliant.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm a dealer for Magnaflow and have sold a lot of these, many for CA cars. It's a good quality unit and have had customers tell me a light bump in gas mileage. Did you guys see any?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:39 PM

You'll just have to buy a cat in NJ
Old 12-10-2018, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B
I'm a dealer for Magnaflow and have sold a lot of these, many for CA cars. It's a good quality unit and have had customers tell me a light bump in gas mileage. Did you guys see any?
It doesn't fit in my 99 Maxima manufactured in 01/99. There's a window of California Emissions Maximas that were configured differently, the MF 444503 doesn't cover From 06/98 to 03/99. In fact nobody makes one CAREB compliant and Nissan Discontinued the OEM years ago.

You'll just have to buy a cat in NJ
EXACTLY! AP Exhaust makes the Direct Fit Front Pre Cat in Stainless and CARB compliant. Part Number: 941014.
They also make the EPA version of the Stainless Y-Pipe with the Rear Pre Cat incorporated as a direct fit, but NOT CARB Compliant. Part Number: 642850. I'm working on getting NY State to do an exemption, and if not, buy it in NJ and install it myself or in NJ. NY State doesn't enforce CARB Compliant by a visual inspection like CA. If it's in, they won't bother me. AP Exhaust said the EPA version won't trip the downstream O2 sensor as they sell these in the other 47 states for the California Emissions cars that use the same O2 sensors as mine with no problems or returns.

What a freaking hassle for an already stupid expensive exhaust system. Thank you Governor!

Old 12-10-2018, 08:26 PM

Like you said, the inspection station is not going to actually look for a CARB sticker. They will most likely just make sure you have a cat installed. Hundreds of shops in NYC will do the inspection without regard to having a CARB-legal converter. I wouldn't even bother begging for an exemption. Just get the cat in NJ

it might even be sticky-worthy: DO NOT BUY a 99 California-emissions Maxima or I30 in Maine, NY, or California! And those who do have 99's in those states should sell them to out-of-state buyers once they're done with them. If you ever sell yours, sell it to someone in NJ.

Also, the NY CARB-approved converter law doesn't apply to 95's

Last edited by maximaxi; 12-11-2018 at 09:06 AM.