4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pictures of some rust repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:58 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Pictures of some rust repair

Typical rotted radiator support and rear sunroof drains. I did the work early this year. I think body work is my least favorite job to tackle.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:45 PM

The detail on the rear drain is great. Nice job.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Spray some Krown on that radiator support
Old 06-07-2018, 02:59 PM

Great job!
Old 06-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Black Lion

You can still get that radiator bracket? I thought a lot of parts were limited for us now. I know Nissan has very few parts for 4th Gens these days. I needed an engine harness and couldn't find a new new.

I have to repair/replace my radiator bracket again soon, I got the Genuine Nissan one probably 10 years ago and its starting to rust again.

I also have the roof drain rust on drivers side rear. Where did you get the new one from? or did you fabricate that drain part yourself?

A shop cut out the rust section on the passenger side and welded a new piece of metal on. Now I need to do drivers side... It looks like you got stock parts.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:20 AM

Nice work JS!

I am envious! At this age, all our cars need some refreshing and the cost to have it done by others is exorbitant.

Please keep posting all of this you do!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I bought the factory lower support online. Thankfully it is still available. Part number is 62530-40U00. I paid about $200 shipped.

For the rear I searched and contacted a few dealers with no luck. The part has been discontinued. One dealer said they did a nation wide search with none in stock. I even looked it up for a 5th gen. Again discontinued.

I had to cut, shape and bend a piece from sheet metal to make a patch. I am not very good at welding. I spent far too long grinding it pretty and only used a thin coat of filler. The inside is seam sealed.

Everything got many coats of various primers and paints inside and out. I plan on some sort of rust inhibitor once all the repairs have been finished. My local body shop recommends a product called Shield. I believe that once it has been sprayed paint is not going to stick.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by JSutter
I bought the factory lower support online. Thankfully it is still available. Part number is 62530-40U00. I paid about $200 shipped.

For the rear I searched and contacted a few dealers with no luck. The part has been discontinued. One dealer said they did a nation wide search with none in stock. I even looked it up for a 5th gen. Again discontinued.

I had to cut, shape and bend a piece from sheet metal to make a patch. I am not very good at welding. I spent far too long grinding it pretty and only used a thin coat of filler. The inside is seam sealed.

Everything got many coats of various primers and paints inside and out. I plan on some sort of rust inhibitor once all the repairs have been finished. My local body shop recommends a product called Shield. I believe that once it has been sprayed paint is not going to stick.
regarding the duct drain, the shop I used cut the rusted part and welded a new piece as well, then they spayed it with some sort of rust inhibitor.. not sure what its called but I know the same needs to be done to the other side.

You did a very good job though, as long as the rust is cut out and treated with a rust inhibitor you should be fine. Just put a few coats of rust inhibitor primer then spray paint it black. Its under the car anyway and no one will see it.

It looks like that rubber grommet you used for the plastic drain line terminating out the new piece of metal is a stock part.. Where did you get that from? I need 2 of those, mine are dry rotted Im sure.

Last edited by maxprivate; 06-08-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:00 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The grommet is original to the car.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by JSutter

Spray some cavity wax + inside there.

Your metal working is outstanding.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 PM

For anyone doing this and doesn't take time to research just know that it's easy and harbor freight has spot weld cutters for $5 and welders for $100. I think some guy even bolted his back on but welding is so easy, anyone can do it. Also buy an oem lower radiator support because if you look on this forum and see what happens to the ebay ones, you'll understand.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
For anyone doing this and doesn't take time to research just know that it's easy and harbor freight has spot weld cutters for $5 and welders for $100. I think some guy even bolted his back on but welding is so easy, anyone can do it. Also buy an oem lower radiator support because if you look on this forum and see what happens to the ebay ones, you'll understand.
Even the OEM ones are prone to rot away eventually but Im assuming depending on your climate. I would recommend you treat it with a rust inhibitor before installing the new one. I live in NJ and it seems every 8-10 years they will start to rust and rot. I had to have a small section cut out and weld in a new piece of metal on mine before it got worse. I would say about 12 years ago I replaced mine.