4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

one injector failed - others to follow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 12:25 PM

one injector failed - others to follow?

Hi gang:

So after 72k miles my 95 Maxima developed a misfire and CEL which was diagnosed to be a failed fuel injector (high resistance). I had it replaced with another OEM injector and it runs much better now but I can't help but wonder if this means the others will now start to fail. Is this the typical lifetime of an injector or a random failure?
Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM
JvG

Many members have had injectors fail. Some have reported addional failures later on.

The injectors are twenty years old now.

I would say that if one has failed, others will fail fairly soon.

The front injectors could be replaced one at a time as they fail, if you wish.

The back ones require removal of the uim.
No point in removing the uim two or three times.
Replace all of those at once.

There are several other tasks which would be much easier to get done while the uim is off anyway.

The injectors can be rebuilt, or CS-AR has found some good ones from China on ebay. The cost is quite reasonable.

I had all six of mine rebuilt by RX Injector in Houston. Check their website. Fast service.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:39 PM

Your others will fail.

It's not necessarily the mileage ... it's the age.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Will92
Hi gang:

So after 72k miles my 95 Maxima developed a misfire and CEL which was diagnosed to be a failed fuel injector (high resistance). I had it replaced with another OEM injector and it runs much better now but I can't help but wonder if this means the others will now start to fail. Is this the typical lifetime of an injector or a random failure?
could of just needed cleaned via fuel additive if it was clogged up or "stuck", possibly could be because of age and electrical corrosion. I think they've been known to make it to 170k though

What the others said about doing the fronts one by one and if you have to do one of the rears do all three, the intake manifold is a PITA to remove the first or second time. CS_AR has made some pretty helpful threads when it comes to injectors, and I can vouch that eBay injectors will do the job and save a hell of a lot of money but it is a good idea to test them before install or order an extra maybe 2 just in case one is bad. China injectors make it affordable to do all at once. And if you do the back three again its a good idea to do things like knock sensor and fuel filter. Wish I still had the link saved for the ~$20 OEM knock sensor I found it on this site

Last edited by Violator; 06-18-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:04 PM

If it's one of the front injectors (even cylinder numbers, 2/4/6), you should be ok only replacing one injector at a time.

But if you have to pull the intake to get to the back of the engine for the odd injectors 1/3/5, then replace all three.

Bosch, Beck/Arnley, and Hitachi are all the same actual OE injectors
Old 06-19-2018, 04:22 AM

Having your originals rebuilt/refurbished is a good alternative to buying new, as new is "iffie" IMO and $135.00/ea. for new OEM is a good amount of money.

At a local specialty shop, new o-rings, pintle caps, screen cleaning and flow matching was $25.00/ea.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Having your originals rebuilt/refurbished is a good alternative to buying new, as new is "iffie" IMO and $135.00/ea. for new OEM is a good amount of money.

At a local specialty shop, new o-rings, pintle caps, screen cleaning and flow matching was $25.00/ea.

New injectors are not $135 each! They are less than half that on Rock Auto and other sites

How is buying new more iffy than rebuilt?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
New injectors are not $135 each!
Perhaps then my dyslexia just hasn't been diagnosed yet.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM

@Turbobink, you don't have to buy them from the dealer

Rock Auto, Amazon, eBay, and other sites all have them for about half the price you saw.

All of these injectors are the actual OE injectors:
Bosch 62027
Hitachi FIJ0023
Beck/Arnley 158-0861
Old 06-19-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
@Turbobink, you don't have to buy them from the dealer

Rock Auto, Amazon, eBay, and other sites all have them for about half the price you saw.

All of these injectors are the actual OE injectors:
Bosch 62027
Hitachi FIJ0023
Beck/Arnley 158-0861
The china injectors off ebay CS_AR got all worked great and I ordered a set that all worked great except one was a dud. All 6 for the price of one of the discounted OEM injectors. You could even get a set of 6 and only use them on the fronts since they are easy to swap and save OEMs for the rears you'd have a set and spare for each of the front cylinders for the price of 1 OEM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Violator
The china injectors off ebay CS_AR got all worked great and I ordered a set that all worked great except one was a dud. All 6 for the price of one of the discounted OEM injectors. You could even get a set of 6 and only use them on the fronts since they are easy to swap and save OEMs for the rears you'd have a set and spare for each of the front cylinders for the price of 1 OEM.
I ordered 7 so I would have a spare in case one didn't test..I sent them off to Florida for testing before installation cause I didn't want to go to the trouble of installing and finding a bad one. They all tested good. After testing I think the price came in around less than $20 each.

If you are unsure about an injector that you buy, you can run them in the (left bank) 3 that are easy to access. before installing in the (right bank) under the intake plenum.

Also note that injector shops test the injectors and will report any that don't come up to spec.

It doesn't take a lot of money to refresh your injectors.