4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

00VI Déjà vu, making the 99 a bit less slow.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 05:36 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

00VI Déjà vu, making the 99 a bit less slow.

I know, no 3.5 no care. Maybe someday.

I installed the 00VI setup this weekend. It was one of the last mods I installed on my 98 before I parked it due to rust. For those who don't know 00VI is the intake from a 2000-2001 engine. Even though I had everything prepped it still took me a few days to iron out the details. Some things on the 99 are different from the 98 it was installed on. Old thread:

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...cs-anyway.html

I was super **** and over thought the routing of coolant and vacuum hoses. I got a few crazy ideas; no zip ties, no worm gear clamps and try to utilize as much stock parts as possible (some parts I had laying around). In a nutshell make it appear original.

I got rid of the stock swirl valves and part of the vacuum gallery/fuel sub assembly. I kept everything else as close to stock as possible. I spent extra time cleaning along the way. The valley was chock-full of crud and build up. I did some minor maintenance; fuel filter and gaskets.

My setup is:

5th gen:

Upper plenum (drilled to match lower)
Throttle body
EGR tube
Throttle cable
Cruise control actuator
Front and rear valve/rocker covers
Engine cover
Misc brackets
Brake booster hose
Clock (What? More about this later.)

4th gen:

Lower manifold (flipped, not drilled)
Injectors and fuel rail
IACV
TPS
Coil packs
EGR temp sensor

Extras:

Custom adapter plates
Custom mid pipe
Summit digital RPM switch
Custom AFPR and gauge (not necessary)
A few hoses, fittings and clamps
Wire, loom and tape

About that 5th gen clock, it has a built in LED. I wired it to the RPM switch for visual confirmation. Old thread:

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ift-light.html

To see how I made super cheap adapter plates you can read yet another old thread:

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...er-plates.html

I made my own harness for the RPM switch, clock and solenoid wiring. Everything is plug and play except the tach wire at the ECU. I soldered on plugs for every component. No butt connectors or crimp slicing. I should have taken a picture, it looks nearly stock. The patient in near stock form.
Before you mount the plenum, don't forget to drill a hole in the firewall for the wires. Oops.

I actually like the electric EGR. Far mor compact. You can see how tidy the fuel and coolant hoses are.
Clean valve train
The Wizard is going to tell me how awful that cover looks.
One of these days all those rusty brackets will get attention.

Last edited by JSutter; 06-21-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 PM

How's the engine bay so clean except the small rusty bits and pieces? Might not be meaner but it's cleaner than my 3.5
Old 06-22-2018, 06:48 AM
Father of the 00 VI

I like the cover.
My engine came from a 2001 I30 and that cover was on the motor. So when i am done it will go back on.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:12 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by Violator
How's the engine bay so clean except the small rusty bits and pieces? Might not be meaner but it's cleaner than my 3.5
I cleaned the engine bay recently. Get some degreaser and have at it.

​​​
Old 06-22-2018, 07:15 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by krismax
I like the cover.
My engine came from a 2001 I30 and that cover was on the motor. So when i am done it will go back on.
From the factory, does the engine come with the coil cover when it comes with the big cover?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Administrator

You're right, I must say that the cover looks absolutely horrible.

Other than that, very nice work. No cold issues or idling issues like most people seem to have after doing the swap?
Old 06-23-2018, 01:29 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by JSutter
From the factory, does the engine come with the coil cover when it comes with the big cover?
No it does not come with the coil cover..

Maybe it's the angle but it looks different from yours.

This picture is the exact,motor that i have. The picture is before the Motor was pulled
Attached Thumbnails -s-l1600-1-g.jpg  
Old 06-23-2018, 08:30 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I do have a harder time with cold starts. I think I threw away a part that is bolted to the top of the TB. It looks like a vacuum operated actuator that presses on the throttle linkage. Not sure what it's called.

I guess I don't need the small cover under the big one then.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

After putting in some seat time I had to work out some bugs with the mid pipe I made originally for the 98. The intake whistling is rather annoying. It could be my fittings, IACV routing or lack of resonator chamber. I know the previous setup, stock plenum with a short ram/pop charger, whistled a bit too.

I could not get any stock resonators to fit on the 98 because of the ABS being in the way. The 99 does not have ABS. I messed around and got the original resonator to fit using a short section of tubing. I wanted to try the stock air box but that would require some bends.

I like the smoother sound and feel with the stock resonator. The whistling has been reduced significantly. There's still enough noise when you put your foot down.

Last edited by JSutter; 07-03-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 PM

Do you have nwp spacers? The one for the throttle body can make a whistling noise
Old 07-03-2018, 07:19 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

No spacers. I don't have the stock piece behind the TB either.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
No spacers. I don't have the stock piece behind the TB either.
What piece is that

What about your intake manifold, torqued to spec? When I got my 3.5 swapped car it would make a really high pitched whistle like noise at idle I thought it might be from the injectors/fuel rail but the two uim studs were stripped I had to rethread and go a step bigger. After having it tightened down properly that noise is gone I actually took a video but luckily I factory reset my phone and wiped all the data a few months ago

Last edited by Violator; 07-03-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:37 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

There is a metal plate that goes between the throttle body and plenum. I vaguely remember it extends into the plenum and around the EGR tube.

The noise is similar to a stock engine with a short ram intake (open filter and mid pipe) but much louder. It changes with throttle. The stock resonator and air box would completely silence the noise which is the whole point of all that stuff. Putting on the stock resonator made a big difference.

I can only tighten the plenum like a 4th gen, 4 M8 bolts total. Still, I don't suspect that is the issue.