Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Bad power steering fluid leak.... (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/702103-bad-power-steering-fluid-leak.html)

Brandon Weiss 08-10-2018 05:14 AM

Bad power steering fluid leak....

Hey there! Really enjoying my new (now 70,000 mile :) ) 4th gen 97' maxima, my first car and i'm learning alot! There are still many things i'd like to tackle to make this car last me. (including knock sensor, o2 sensors, and plugs. i seem to only get about 15-16mpg in the city, while alot of people say theyr'e in the 20's! Driving style may have something to do with it though :D )
Another one of those things being what i see as a heavy power steering leak, in that ive added a full quart in the first 1,000 miles ive driven this car. Every time i park, i'll come back to a stain on the ground. The leak is in the front right of the engine bay (from the driver seat perspective), in front of the radiator behind the front grille. There are 2 black rubber pieces of hose that act as bridges between 2 metal lines, they make a 90 degree turn going from parallel to the radiator face, to up toward the power steering reservoir, clamped on by what appear to be some sort of hose clamp. There is a lot of leakage below that, and the nearby portion of the radiator and everything below it has a nice coating of fluid.

I looked through the stickies, but couldnt find anything pertaining to my specific issue.
Is this a common issue? What would be the best way to tackle this (what has to be removed to be able to actually reach and replace the lines, i have a couple feet of the hose)
My only concern is dumping fluid everywhere when theyr'e removed.

Thanks in advance!

nissan99 08-10-2018 07:43 AM

My 99 does same thing in that area .. I replace the hose which is 3/8 and new clamps and still leaks a drop or two when parked .. I was thinking of useing silicone rubber adhesive at the end of the rubber hose to seal it to stop the leak .. also make sure your using trans fluid and not power steering fluid ..

reallywildstuff 08-10-2018 09:12 AM

Every part number you need is in this thread:

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ler-hoses.html

DennisMik 08-10-2018 09:16 AM

The metal lines that go to the front of the car and the loop in front of the a/c condenser coil is the power steering oil cooler. The power steering uses Dexron automatic transmission oil and the oil will rot rubber hoses after a while. Replace the hoses and use aviation style worm gear hose clamps.

Brandon Weiss 08-10-2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 9180744)
The metal lines that go to the front of the car and the loop in front of the a/c condenser coil is the power steering oil cooler. The power steering uses Dexron automatic transmission oil and the oil will rot rubber hoses after a while. Replace the hoses and use aviation style worm gear hose clamps.

I have some lengths of 3/8in reinforced rubber fuel line/transmission line. I was going to use that, but i was concerned with kinking the hose going around the bend. If i make the turn a little wider, do you think itd be doable? If i dont have to id rather not shell out $60 for 2 little pieces of preformed hose.

Brandon Weiss 08-10-2018 10:42 AM

Well, turns out the elbow hose i need is discontinued! Looks like I'll have to make do with some regular hose.

JvG 08-10-2018 12:15 PM

Use oil line or automatic transmission hose.

no reason not to use a longer length of hose in order to make the bend withour kinking.

Brandon Weiss 08-11-2018 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by JvG (Post 9180756)
Use oil line or automatic transmission hose.

no reason not to use a longer length of hose in order to make the bend withour kinking.

Thats what i have! I plan on doing it this weekend.