4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'96 Maxima Front End Collision Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 10:18 PM

'96 Maxima Front End Collision Repair Questions

Hey fellas, I got into a fairly minor fender bender a couple weeks ago. Had a chance to dig into it today and see if this is a repair I can do myself. Fortunately, as far as I can discern, all the damage is cosmetic except the actual bumper (metal part under bumper cover) and the bumper cover retainer. These two pieces are shown in front of the car in a couple of the photos, they're far too mangled to straighten out. I should be able to find these at a salvage yard, unless some forum members have them for sale. The center radiator support was pushed upwards (that cross bar where the hood latch is attached) causing hood to bend because the bottom bolt is slotted and it slid free from where it was attached. This was easily pushed back down and reattached-- this didn't leave any bends or kinks in the metal, so I think I'm good here (the metal is so thin in that portion, it moves/flexes without actually bending the metal). The hood latch has some resistance to it and doesn't move freely, so I think there's a slight bend or kink in the metal. I might replace that if it still give me fits after I lubricate it and look it over.

Couple questions I have pertain to the bumper cover. I'm not sure yet, exactly how far I want to go with this repair. I could reuse the existing bumper cover; it's still usable except it has a couple small deformations from the impact, and obviously a lot of scratching and discoloration that would need to be painted over. If I decide to purchase a new bumper cover, anyone have an idea of the cost? Also, is it possible to use the bumper cover from an SE model that has fog lights, and how would one incorporate the fog lights into the wiring? I don't know what kind of factory switch is used to control these, whether it's part of the turn signal / headlight stalk or a separate control.

How is parts interchangeability between the '95-96 & the 1997-99 models? I know the later models had plastic headlight lenses, but other than that do the parts swap over between all years? Other than the two metal pieces (bumper and retainer) I also need a need a grille, driver's headlight, headlight corner lens (pstic tab broke off) and one of the amber turn signal lenses (plastic tab broke off). Is the style/design of these different between 95/96 & 97-99? Do the '97+ plastic headlights have any advantage(s) over the 95-96 glass ones?

If I find a 97+ Maxima, is it possible to convert to the newer style front end, and if so, which parts need to be changed over? Which style do you guys think looks better; I'm on the fence..? Any aftermarket or upgraded parts (like from an I30 perhaps) worth considering? I'll also need a new hood at some point, but the one I have bent back into shape just fine, has a visible crease in it, but it'll allow me some time to find a pearl white matching hood so I can avoid a repaint. I don't necessarily need a show car job, just trying to get it back together looking reasonably good.

Anything else I should be doing while I have all these parts off? Sorry for the long list of questions, any info/suggestions/experiences with this kind of repair would be much appreciated.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:08 AM

The fog light switch is on the headlight stalk. IMHO, the 97-99 front end looks much better than the 95-96 front end. You can probably find one at your local junkyard. The swap should be straight forward, and if I’m not mistaken your max should be pre-wired for fog lights. Take the headlights, turn signals, fog lights, and headlight stalk from the donor car. You might also need the fog light relay/fuse.

The i30 front end is completely different. Fenders, hood, bumper, lights all different and not worth the headache imo.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:03 AM

Stalks are different for 95-96 if you want to use 97 + stalk youll have to change the clock spring along with steering wheel. Your 95 stalk will work regardless if you install fogs light. Id stick with 95 front end. If you need any parts i have pretty much everything.

Last edited by lux97Max; 02-02-2020 at 07:10 AM.