Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Need an ECU!! (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/702293-need-ecu.html)

LocalMaxima 08-30-2018 06:00 PM

Need an ECU!!

Well I posted previously about a P0335 code, and a NATS light glowing, and it finally looked like the most likely culprit was the ECU. I sent it into a place that reconditions them, and they determined that the main chip is fried and it is not fixable. So now what?

My car is a 99 (built in 10/98) 5 speed with California emissions, and a quick internet search turns up nothing, I am quickly learning that the 99 was kind of an oddball year. Any ideas of where I could look? Anybody have one they want to sell??!!

CS_AR 08-30-2018 06:06 PM

Did you contact http://www.foreignecurepair.com/? I bought an ECU from them several years ago for my 99 model 5-MT Fed..

If you cannot find another ECU, I've seen some older conversations on converting the ECU to an earlier model without NATS.

Violator 08-30-2018 06:10 PM

My understanding is the 95-99 are all interchangeable as long as it's the correct transmission. But things like your swirl valves and the extra o2 sensor for the cat (wont affect the car at all) probably won't be programmed into the ECU. Maybe someone can shed some more light on this but I got a 96 manual ECU for my 98 3.5 swap car. That car might be a Cali spec even but I am selling the ECU for it if you want I can find out the exact specs of the car it could be Cali spec idk what engine was originally in the car.

Not having swirl valve functionality will not affect the car much they are just for low end emmisions control. But if you want the exact ECU for your car look at the part number on your ECU and do a search on Google/eBay

LocalMaxima 08-30-2018 07:49 PM

Thanks CSAR, I'll try foreignecurepair.com I wasn't aware of them. I have done some searching about swapping between years, one thing that comes up is the EGR- 99 has a different type of EGR valve than previous years and it seems that older ECU's don't operate it- I found one older thread called "99 to 95 ECM swap a Success!" and he talks about how great it works when you swap around a few pins in the harness, which I would be comfortable with, but then buried in the last paragraph or so he says " You will have an EGR code".

Well I won't pass inspection with an EGR code, so unless there is some workaround for that it looks like I should stick to a 99, annoying NATS and all. So along the lines of what Violator was saying I wonder if any 99 would work, even fed spec, leaving my swirl valve etc essentially dangling.

Violator 08-30-2018 08:21 PM

On eBay all the ecus are listed with the part number, there's a lot you should hopefully be able to find your exact replacement. Otherwise you'd be best just doing the pin swap the swirl valves will probably be unnoticeable and if your really wanted you could just get a Fed spec lower intake manifold and eliminate it completely even gain some top end power out of it. I'd even seen that thread before I just forgot about it

I've got my ECU listed in the classifieds I was gonna just throw it in with my 3.5 swap that I posted more recently but I'd assume anybody buying it already has an ecu

LocalMaxima 08-30-2018 08:42 PM

I would be interested if I could find a solution to the EGR differences- 99 is electronic and 95-98 are vacuum- I wonder if it is as simple as putting in an older EGR valve on my car. Also, I see lots of mention of a 95 ECU swap- is there that much difference between a 95 and 96-98 ECU's?

Violator 08-30-2018 09:40 PM

Car-part would be a great tool there you could definitely find the right ecu and would save a lot of work

The Wizard 08-30-2018 10:11 PM

This thread might help you....
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...tion-list.html

JSutter 08-31-2018 08:57 PM

I have a 99 Cali spec and my old car was a 98. I know both inside and out. To run an earlier ECU in a 99 Cali with no codes you need to rewire and replace a laundry list of things.

LocalMaxima 09-05-2018 07:24 PM

Jsutter you may be the one I need to talk to- I picked up a 99 5 speed ECU, it is a fed even though my car is Cali- my main question is what do I need to program to get it to work? I know about the key, but I have also read about the VIN needing programming. I have been working with a local locksmith who has been working hard to get up to speed on the quirks of my 99 Maxima, but I would like to save him as much as hassle as possible.

Do you think it is likely that this guy can program the VIN and keys with his (what I am guessing is) fairly standard equipment?

Violator 09-05-2018 09:25 PM

He needs the nissan consult or the consult program and a consult cable on his pc to program the key for the nats security. Your nats/key is programmed to your ECU so now that you have a new ECU it needs programmed

krismax 09-06-2018 01:22 AM

I believe the 99 are like the 00-01 maxima's. IF the IACV is on the TB ,make sure you replace the IACV and bypass the coolant.

CS_AR 09-06-2018 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter (Post 9182458)
I have a 99 Cali spec and my old car was a 98. I know both inside and out. To run an earlier ECU in a 99 Cali with no codes you need to rewire and replace a laundry list of things.

That's it in a nutshell.

Violator 09-06-2018 06:23 AM

You need to look up the harness digrams in the FSMs for both vehicles and rewire it to Cali spec

JSutter 09-06-2018 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by krismax (Post 9182828)
I believe the 99 are like the 00-01 maxima's. IF the IACV is on the TB ,make sure you replace the IACV and bypass the coolant.

They are not the same in regards to the IACV. Comparing a 99 to a 00-01 in this thread is irrelevant anyway.