Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   tons of white smoke coming from exhaust..... (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/702377-tons-white-smoke-coming-exhaust.html)

max ride 41 09-10-2018 06:49 PM

tons of white smoke coming from exhaust.....

so, after getting it running perfectly 2 weeks ago i have white smoke coming from exhaust and i smell a ton of gas coming from exhaust as well., i am at my wits end on this car, my mechanic (:rolleyes: ) thinks a possible cps sensor, there was a metal tube that came from the back of the engine with a wire that he broke when we did rear valve cover and he used steel stick to fix it. don't think that held, plus i heard a bad pcv valve can cause a clog issue and make white smoke as well. car is quiet when started, but it pops and sputters, and idles like crap plus the other issues. god damn is there someone near me in pa that can help me with this nightmare? suggestions please!!!!

skywalker85 09-10-2018 07:32 PM

Sounds like he broke the egr tube. Not sure how one can break something like that. The egr system re-circulates exhaust gases for better emissions..
Possibly dropped something down the intake?
Also he may have mixed up all the vacuum lines.

I just finished my front and rear valve covers today.

Haven't fired the car up yet

CMax03 09-10-2018 09:15 PM

Verify you have good ventilation through the engine...

JvG 09-10-2018 09:18 PM

Leaky fuel injector. Less likely, fuel pressure regulator.

I'd remove each plug, then notice a plug which will smell like gas and look 's bit wetter than the others.

max ride 41 09-11-2018 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by JvG;9183113[color=#f1c40f
]Leaky fuel injector[/color]. Less likely, fuel pressure regulator.

I'd remove each plug, then notice a plug which will smell like gas and look 's bit wetter than the others.

this sounds like a good possibility, and sound advice. the tube is at the back of the upper uim and has a wire hooked up to it. i think that's leaking. it def seems like an injector or 2 are bad to me as well.

The Wizard 09-11-2018 08:16 AM

Like I said weeks ago, it's probably your injectors. You convinced yourself it was something else.

max ride 41 09-12-2018 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 9183130)
Like I said weeks ago, it's probably your injectors. You convinced yourself it was something else.

so, you don't think it's possibly a warped cylinder head or a head gasket? all my injectors are basically new, would an intake leak cause them to go south if left unattended for awhile? car ran perfect for one day, then it started doing the white smoke and popping with a crappy idle. i smell a ton of gas as well coming from exhaust, i will start with looking at the injectors today and trying to see which one of them are faulty or leaking and checking all the hoses to make sure they're all connected. will check back in and let you guys know what we found.

The Wizard 09-12-2018 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9183186)
so, you don't think it's possibly a warped cylinder head or a head gasket?

Not at all. What makes you think that? Unless you really overheated the engine badly, this thought would not have crossed my mind.

all my injectors are basically new, would an intake leak cause them to go south if left unattended for awhile?

No way.

Remember, new injectors can fail too. Happened to me once. I was like WTF, my problem is still here and I installed newly refurbished injectors. Turned out one of the new six injectors was crap.

car ran perfect for one day, then it started doing the white smoke and popping with a crappy idle. i smell a ton of gas as well coming from exhaust, i will start with looking at the injectors today and trying to see which one of them are faulty or leaking and checking all the hoses to make sure they're all connected. will check back in and let you guys know what we found.

A bad injector will do exactly what you described. Start with cylinders 2, 4 and 6 as they are the easy ones to get to. Maybe you'll get lucky.

max ride 41 09-12-2018 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 9183207)
Not at all. What makes you think that? Unless you really overheated the engine badly, this thought would not have crossed my mind.

No way.

Remember, new injectors can fail too. Happened to me once. I was like WTF, my problem is still here and I installed newly refurbished injectors. Turned out one of the new six injectors was crap.

A bad injector will do exactly what you described. Start with cylinders 2, 4 and 6 as they are the easy ones to get to. Maybe you'll get lucky.

well, did the lower crank sensor today and the bank 1 sensor 02 and she is running a lot better but after taking it around the block for a few miles and then parking it and letting it sit she wont start on the first turn of the key. 2nd turn usually, fuel pump maybe? o, and i got the new 6000 hid's installed, woot!!! pics to come.

The Wizard 09-12-2018 05:38 PM

Probably won't start on first try because too much fuel is being dumped. Injector is working...not working....working....not working...causing moments where the car is running well and other times where the the car is running like crap and even causing starting issues.

JvG 09-12-2018 05:47 PM

So now that you have done the oxy sensor,
let's deal with your cars injector issue.
Please remove each plug and smell for gasoline. Especially smelly plugs which might be wet.

Maxima 97 SE 09-12-2018 10:00 PM

I bought Brand new oem original nissan fuel injectors from carid which were priced at 90 bucks a piece for 30 bucks a piece as they priced matched with amazon for me. The reason why I didnt buy them from amazon was they dont ship fuel injectors to california. Heres the part number Hitachi FIJ0023 and Nissans oem parts number is 16600-96E01 which is just repackaged and sold hitachi since they bought out unisia jecs who were the original manufacturing company. Just replace them all cause those pintle caps are burnt and brittle.

max ride 41 09-12-2018 11:06 PM

here's the thing, the injectors were all replaced in the last year or so. after the car warms up she runs fine. for me to replace all the injectors would be pricey and ridiculous imo. especially the back 3 which are a pita to get to. he dumped fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank and i think that crap chews away at injectors causing them to fail sometimes, so, he unplugged the front 3 and i agree they weren't all running the same but close. i am out of money and patience. she's running better and i will continue to monitor the engine performance and smell and listen to the engine. she's old and has 291,000 on her and i am sure some damage to 1 or more of the injectors happened cause i got sick of trying to figure out what was causing the p 0300 code among all the other codes. i would love to entertain replacing an injector or 2 but i smell no gas and i think the engine might be leaking anti-freeze through the exhaust a bit and has for years. not quite sure were else to go with maxy other than to do a pressure test, is there a video testing the injectors that i could watch so i know if any of them are truly faulty? thanks

Maxima 97 SE 09-13-2018 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9183240)
here's the thing, the injectors were all replaced in the last year or so. after the car warms up she runs fine. for me to replace all the injectors would be pricey and ridiculous imo. especially the back 3 which are a pita to get to. he dumped fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank and i think that crap chews away at injectors causing them to fail sometimes, so, he unplugged the front 3 and i agree they weren't all running the same but close. i am out of money and patience. she's running better and i will continue to monitor the engine performance and smell and listen to the engine. she's old and has 291,000 on her and i am sure some damage to 1 or more of the injectors happened cause i got sick of trying to figure out what was causing the p 0300 code among all the other codes. i would love to entertain replacing an injector or 2 but i smell no gas and i think the engine might be leaking anti-freeze through the exhaust a bit and has for years. not quite sure were else to go with maxy other than to do a pressure test, is there a video testing the injectors that i could watch so i know if any of them are truly faulty? thanks

Yeah your absolutely right about. I also checked the price there all around 80 dollars each now. Your also right about antifreeze possibly leaking through the exhaust as that can cause a p0300 misfire code especially since you have already replaced the injectors. Along with white smoke you would have raw fuel leaking through the exhaust which you dont im assuming. I hope your car can run and last you a little longer and you dont have any headgasket issues with your engine. Lets hope she stays running fine like you said it is now.

max ride 41 09-13-2018 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE (Post 9183243)
Yeah your absolutely right about. I also checked the price there all around 80 dollars each now. Your also right about antifreeze possibly leaking through the exhaust as that can cause a p0300 misfire code especially since you have already replaced the injectors. Along with white smoke you would have raw fuel leaking through the exhaust which you dont im assuming. I hope your car can run and last you a little longer and you dont have any headgasket issues with your engine. Lets hope she stays running fine like you said it is now.

nope, i fuked myself by saying anything about the max. started it up last night to check out the headlights ( which are awesome btw ) went around the block and at every stop she's stumbling and i had to punch it to get her moving. it's like i did nothing at all. injectors? maybe 1 or 2 of them, my mechanic thinks maybe a fuel pump. i did have raw gas smell which went away with the white smoke after i put on a new 02 and the crank sensor in her. opinions on what i should try next, fuel pump or w/e, thanks

JvG 09-13-2018 09:42 AM

Get some help with identifying which. FUEL INJECTOR you need to replace.

You are also overheating your cat. They are more expensive to replace than a proper fix for your car.

By the way, I'd advise getting a second opinion from a good mechanic. Because a fuel pump is not the cause of your issue, which is too much fuel. Id believe a pump if the problem was underfueling.

Zerodrag 09-13-2018 10:35 AM

One thing i never understood is why white colored smoke coming out from exhaust associated with injectors causing a rich condition? I would have thought a rich condition would result in black smoke. i know a lot of seasoned members associate the symptom and issue so i am not going to second guess this.

if your car is burning coolant through the exhaust system you will get a distinct "sweet" smell which should be easy to identify.

Could the problems you are having be maf related?

JvG 09-13-2018 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodrag (Post 9183266)
One thing i never understood is why white colored smoke coming out from exhaust associated with injectors causing a rich condition? I would have thought a rich condition would result in black smoke. i know a lot of seasoned members associate the symptom and issue so i am not going to second guess this.

if your car is burning coolant through the exhaust system you will get a distinct "sweet" smell which should be easy to identify.

Could the problems you are having be maf related?

Members who have experienced injector failure report white smoke and a gassy smell.

I have experienced over fueling in other cars. I got white smoke.

I have not experienced injector failure during the first 9 years and 90k mIles I drive my maxima.
I did have all the injectors rebuilt when had to remove my uim for an unrelated reason.

JvG 09-13-2018 01:26 PM

I have told you that you should suspect your injectors.

The Wizard has told you the same thing.

I have great respect for the Wizard.

Perhaps, just maybe, he and I know what we are talking about.

max ride 41 09-13-2018 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by JvG (Post 9183279)
I have told you that you should suspect your injectors.

The Wizard has told you the same thing.

I have great respect for the Wizard.

Perhaps, just maybe, he and I know what we are talking about.

i'm not saying your wrong either. why don't i smell gas though? i mean at all? why am i not throwing a code for an injector and no c/e light? i mean, why is it running right 1 day and like $hit the next? ecu?

JvG 01-23-2019 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9183317)
i'm not saying your wrong either. why don't i smell gas though? i mean at all? why am i not throwing a code for an injector and no c/e light? i mean, why is it running right 1 day and like $hit the next? ecu?

Injectors malfunction when their pintil caps crack.
Once that happens, excess gas will go into the cylinders. That creates white smoke. Sometimes a gas smell. No code will set because the electrical portion of the injector is still ok. In fact, it could be rebuilt.

Injector failure is becoming very common with 4th Gen cars.

Not saying that the injectors are definitely the problem. HOWEVER, please read your first post in this thread. The one where you said that the car smells strongly of gas.

Please be advised..... there are companies out there which rebuild injectors for less than 20 bucks each. They disassemble them, clean and rebuild them. They include the o rings needed for installation as well. I had RX Injector in Houston rebuild all 6 of mine. The car ran better once I was done. None of my injectors leaked yet. But I had the uim off for an other reason. So I took the opportunity to rebuild them at my convience. Much better than wait for an inevitable leaking injector on the rear bank during a blizzard or heat wave.

​​​​

CS_AR 01-24-2019 04:42 AM

If you are looking to save money and like to DIY jobs, you can rejuvenate your existing injectors with by applying new screens, o-rings, and pintle caps. I'm coming up on 5 years with running the injectors I rejuvenated back in 2014.

https://maxima.org/forums/test-posts...struction.html

jgcable 01-24-2019 07:17 AM

the exact same thing happened to me and I got the same responses then. One member told me it was absolutely the Fuel Pressure Regulator.
Even 2 reputable auto repair shops told me it was anything from a shot motor to bad injectors. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. It was a cheap and easy job.
That was 2 years ago. Car has been running perfect ever since.

JvG 01-24-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jgcable (Post 9193685)
the exact same thing happened to me and I got the same responses then. One member told me it was absolutely the Fuel Pressure Regulator.
Even 2 reputable auto repair shops told me it was anything from a shot motor to bad injectors. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. It was a cheap and easy job.
That was 2 years ago. Car has been running perfect ever since.

Your guess is as good as mine.

​​​​​​Your experience is helpful.