4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vacuum & Coolant Hoses Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 AM

Vacuum & Coolant Hoses Options

I have a 1996 Maxima with 277,000 miles that I have owned since new. I need to replace many of the vacuum and coolant hoses that have been on my Maxima since new, as they are rock hard. There are several repairs that are way past due. For instance, I need to replace the front and rear valve cover gaskets, as both are leaking badly. Are the preformed hoses attached to both valve covers available from FelPro or other 3rd party vendors and if they are available, are they anywhere near the quality of Nissan parts? I doubt any are still available from Nissan and if they are, the cost will probably be sky high! I want to hang on to my Maxima, but there are so many needed repairs that could cost me thousands of dollars. I have noticed on some of the websites for Nissan parts that many parts have been discontinued or asking an arm and leg for rare Nissan parts that are still available. A Nissan dealer here in Atlanta quoted me $350 for a front motor mount and advised the other front mount is discontinued. I have been told that the Nissan catalytic converter for my Nissan is discontinued. I need new lower control arms due to oil and power steering fluid contamination, new windshield, hood struts, front leather seat covers, power steering and high pressure hose, front and rear struts, timing gear tensioners, power door lock on passenger side not locking, repairs to rear bumper and rocker panel damage and several other minor maintenance repairs. This has been the best car and most reliable car that I have ever owned, but the time may have come to pass it on to someone who has the repair skills and desire to keep it running. It would be my luck that if I dared to make all of these repairs, then the engine or transmission or both would fail on me!!! I would like to fix the oil leak at least, while I am deciding the fate of my Maxima. Thanks for any feedback!
Old 09-17-2018, 05:21 PM

I recently picked up my valve cover gaskets, both half moon upper oil pan seals, oil-pump o-rings, black and grey rtv and hoses from my local auto parts store. All the molded hoses I have replaced with regular. Just buy a few feet of each hose and your good to go. As far as catalytic converters go I went to the warpspeed website and bought a y-pipe with catalytic converter kit. My oem y-pipe was rusting into pieces. As far as all the other parts I'd look into ebay..
Old 09-18-2018, 12:24 AM

every part you mention is currently avail from dealer or aftermarket save for the molded PVC hose that goes between the valve covers. and I am sure that can be done with similar sized hose.
i am not sure about the motor mounts but I swear I have seen some aftermarket ones.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassman
I have a 1996 Maxima with 277,000 miles that I have owned since new. I need to replace many of the vacuum and coolant hoses that have been on my Maxima since new, as they are rock hard. There are several repairs that are way past due. For instance,I need to replace the front and rear valve cover gaskets, as both are leaking badly. Are the preformed hoses attached to both valve covers available from FelPro or other 3rd party vendors and if they are available, are they anywhere near the quality of Nissan parts? I doubt any are still available from Nissan and if they are, the cost will probably be sky high! I want to hang on to my Maxima, but there are so many needed repairs that could cost me thousands of dollars. I have noticed on some of the websites for Nissan parts that many parts have been discontinued or asking an arm and leg for rare Nissan parts that are still available. A Nissan dealer here in Atlanta quoted me $350 for a front motor mount and advised the other front mount is discontinued. I have been told that the Nissan catalytic converter for my Nissan is discontinued. I need new lower control arms due to oil and power steering fluid contamination, new windshield, hood struts, front leather seat covers, power steering and high pressure hose, front and rear struts, timing gear tensioners, power door lock on passenger side not locking, repairs to rear bumper and rocker panel damage and several other minor maintenance repairs. This has been the best car and most reliable car that I have ever owned, but the time may have come to pass it on to someone who has the repair skills and desire to keep it running. It would be my luck that if I dared to make all of these repairs, then the engine or transmission or both would fail on me!!! I would like to fix the oil leak at least, while I am deciding the fate of my Maxima. Thanks for any feedback!
I replaced that U shaped vacuum hose with generic vacuum hose from an auto store over a decade ago. That hose is 1/2", the same size as the one connected from the front valve cover to the air resonator box.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...im-w-pics.html

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/577525-rear-valve-cover-gasket-repair-info.htm

Last edited by jholley; 10-06-2018 at 05:20 PM.