Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Dash and right tail light fuse keeps blowing (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/702809-dash-right-tail-light-fuse-keeps-blowing.html)

ColeTrickle 11-02-2018 12:09 PM

Dash and right tail light fuse keeps blowing

As the title says, 7.5A fuse of dash and right tail lights on my 95 keeps blowing randomly -sometimes the very second I turn on the light, sometimes suddenly when lights are on for a few minutes-. I've tried to disconnect the dimmer switch as I read in other forum. Also, I've changed the cluster and I've replace the tail light bulb, but the problem persists. Any suggestion of what should I check next?

The Wizard 11-02-2018 12:28 PM

This may be a hard one to fix. A wire is shorting out somewhere and grounding. You have to find the loose/bare wire and tape it to prevent it from grounding (touching bare metal).

Think back, have you done any work to the car just before this problem started?

ColeTrickle 11-02-2018 01:37 PM

The only work I've made regarding electrical components is changing the cluster. I checked the connectors BTW but I didn't find anything strage there.

PS: This car also has the typicial non-working cluster issue so I bought another one some time ago trying to fix that. I assume both problems are not related to each other.

JvG 11-02-2018 03:35 PM

I would try the easy stuff first.

let's start with the tail light. Remove it. Look in the socket for any corrosion. Clean any corrosion you find. Next, leave the tail light out. Do the things which make the fuse blow. Does it still blow?
If not, put the bulb back in to see if things work properly.

ColeTrickle 11-04-2018 12:42 PM

Well light bulb is definetively not the issue here, nor any wire from the trunk:rotz:. Any advice on how to start looking for the short? I've never done any work like this before.

Thank you very much.

Rit 11-04-2018 02:46 PM

Look for a rusty ground connection.

ColeTrickle 03-11-2019 09:34 AM

Well, I think problem has been solved. It was a freaking bolt from the cluster wich I missed behind the dashboard some time ago -I didn't care too much about it then-. It was probably touching one of the wires under the steering column:smash:

JvG 03-11-2019 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ColeTrickle (Post 9186829)
The only work I've made regarding electrical components is changing the cluster. I checked the connectors BTW but I didn't find anything strage there.

PS: This car also has the typicial non-working cluster issue so I bought another one some time ago trying to fix that. I assume both problems are not related to each other.

The problem might indeed be related. You mentioned a non working cluster and a tail light issue. There could be a problem between the cluster and the tail light.

You mentioned that you changed the tail light.
I'd be more suspicious of the socket it's self.
I would clean that with contact cleaner. I'd examine the wiring at that socket carefully as well.

I've had this very issue on three cars I've had in the past.

I agree that the fuse is blowing due to a short somewhere between the tail light and the cluster.