4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help with Wiring, also Cranks and wont start

Old 11-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need help with Wiring, also Cranks and wont start

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the group! I have had a Rat problem under the hood of my Car 1998 Nissan Maxima 3.0L GLE . Need some help identifying a wire! I'm going to attach a picture of wire in question!

Looks like a 10 gauge RED wires coming out of Main harness below this fuse box by battery, I know i have had a 4 legged Rat under the hood, I live in the country, Maybe even a 2 Legged Rat :-)
did someone cut out a Fuse ? or Fuseable Link ? or something out? or was that Rat really that Starved ? Anyway, need to know what is supposed to be here, if anything. I assume it may of been
a fusable link, is this correct? and any idea what it is supposed to go to so i can size it correctly ???

looks like 10 gauge RED wire cut on main fuse harness 2 wires close together! Don't know where they go!

The connector just right of the Ground lug on battery is drivers turn signal, i have not (as of yet found where it connects into harness, originally thought it was the RED wires, but NO way that can be the case! i assume
that turn signal connector (which i've got pigtail on order) should be a 18 gauge wire, don't currently know where it connects on harness :-(

I'm pretty sure what is left of the wire next to the plastic fill pipe goes to Passenger front turn signal light plug which was also eaten off requiring a new pigtail.

Anyway, also had Mice on inside of car, The engine will crank over, it however will not start (assume Red wire) above may be part of the problem. I've attached
a Kiwii obdii bluetooth reader to it, but i cant get it to connect.

thanks in advance Paul.......

Thanks for any help i can get! Paul........
Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 AM

Paul, you need a copy of the wiring diagram for your car. There are free FSMs online for your car if you don't have a service manual, factory or aftermarket.

For your crank-no start, you need ignition timing (likely OK), compression, fuel and spark. Start eliminating one of these at a time to narrow your scope here. But get your wiring sorted first.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi, thanks for the info,

I already have a manual. in the top picture of the RED wire stub, there is another that is right next to its base that is also RED. Sorry, bad picture, doesn't reflect that. I have a feeling these 2 wires should go together, either by fuse or fuseable link. That is what i need to know, or maybe they both go someplace else.

Sorry, i guess i'm trying to save some time, i have not tried to Ring that wire out to the fuse box above it to find specific circuit involved. seeing how it looks like a 10 gauge wire to me, its probably going to a 30amp or larger fuse maybe, don't know at this point and time.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I connected those 2 Red wires together, which were actually (i think) 16 gauge, I still don't know what it goes to however! with a inline 15 amp fuse, and now the car will Start and Run !
the wire just passes thru under that Fuse/Box. So i still don't know what it actually goes to.

I still have not found where the Drivers front turn signal wires go into a harness! That Rat that was under hood i guess did a good job trying to build that nest.

Paul......
Old 11-16-2018, 03:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pcather
I connected those 2 Red wires together, which were actually (i think) 16 gauge, I still don't know what it goes to however! with a inline 15 amp fuse, and now the car will Start and Run !
the wire just passes thru under that Fuse/Box. So i still don't know what it actually goes to.

I still have not found where the Drivers front turn signal wires go into a harness! That Rat that was under hood i guess did a good job trying to build that nest.

Paul......
Hm..... Did some more checking, and its not the Turn Signal wiring i need help on, they are the Left and Right Marker lights, just outside of Headlights, with the clear lens. I'm pretty sure i have the location for the wires for the passenger side, but still haven't found the bad wire connect point for he drivers side Marker lights in Front.

And for some reason, the brake lights, or maybe its Night running lights in the Rear are ON all the time, draining battery.

Paul.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by pcather
And for some reason, the brake lights, or maybe its Night running lights in the Rear are ON all the time, draining battery.

Paul.
It is most likely the brake lights. The "night running lights" as you call them are on the tail light fuse. Both the front and rear marker lights are on the tail light fuse, so if the rears are on, the fronts would be on also.

To prove/disprove this, pull the brake light fuse out and see if the lights go out. If they do, my guess is that the rubber "bumper" on the brake pedal that operates the break light switch is missing.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks DennisMik
I was able to get all the wiring straightened out for now! Me and a friend worked on it for several hours today, it was nice outside, warmer then it was supposed
to be :-)

Anyway, You were correct it is missing both of the plugs on brake pedal ! Don't know for sure, but i assume the other switch, is probably for cruise control. neither of which is a good thing, since brake lights are always on, and i assume if cruise was engaged, brake would not disengage cruise. both are hazardous to health :-) looking at other type of replacement instead of these Plugs, I've read elsewhere about supper gluing coins over the holes, i had first thought about Bolt and Nut. these Plugs are not healthy, they could KILL someone.

I'll have to look at my 2011 Altima, to see if it has these Pedal Stoppers also :-)

Anyway, Thanks again Paul!

Next project on the beast, is change the Motor Mounts, and Valve cover gaskets has Oil leak that runs down on exhaust manifolds causing a smoke trail. still runs ok, for having over 280k miles :-)