4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Today's Project - New Warpspeed Y- Pipe and Walker Cat

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 AM

Today's Project - New Warpspeed Y- Pipe and Walker Cat

Today I started putting the 99 model SE 5-MT through an exhaust system upgrade. So I'm installing a new Warpspeed Y-Pipe and Walker "stock spec" Cat. Pictures to follow.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:59 PM

Glad you finally got a new cat! I can't wait to see the pictures
Old 12-29-2018, 02:53 AM

I thought you’d already done this ... ?
Old 12-29-2018, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
I thought you’d already done this ... ?
Actually, I did refresh the exhaust system on the 98 with the Walker SS setup. Though, I used the Walker system with the OEM cat.
For the 99 model, I'm going to remove the Glass Pack and straight pipe that replaced the suitcase muffler. I'm planning to drive the 99 on 3 to 4 hour trips to visit my son in NWA. So I'm looking this one into a quiet road car. The exhaust drone starts to get to me after a few hours on the road.

I had installed a new Y-Pipe and Magnaflow High-flow cat some years ago on the 99 model. After roughly 18 months, I kept getting codes about the rear cat. The remedy the code was to go back with a stock cat that I had from another car. I can tell you that removing a "years old" Y-Pipe or letting it bend down to remove the Upper Oil Pan will cause the flex pipe to break. The heat over time anneals the metal and has limited travel if you flex it.

Adam took the 99 to some shop in NWA, while he was in school, that welded the cat to the Y-Pipe to stop a leak instead of installing the correct gasket to fix it. That jacked up the Y-Pipe coupling and I sensed the cat was starting to clog.

After it's all said and done, it seems to perform better with the new CAT. I want to outsource installing the Walker system from the B-Pipe backward. I don't really like working with exhaust systems on the ground. I can't lift the car high enough. So I took care of the critical part with the Y-Pipe and new CAT on my own.

I plan to get the flex pipe repaired on the old Y-Pipe and cut off the old CAT to possibly restore it. Then I will keep it in reserve.

The 97 also got a WS Y-Pipe. I've done so many of these exhaust mods that I'm starting to forget them..

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-29-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:48 AM

Here's pictures of the CAT..

Y-Pipe Picture Below.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-30-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:54 AM

Updated pictures
Old 12-30-2018, 10:34 AM

It's absolutely DISGUSTING how clean everything is! It's like you put the entire car in the dishwasher every day. Beautiful!

I'll be following your footsteps as soon as I can find a place that will ship a Y-Pipe to me in NY. I have an exception waiver from NY State to buy an AP Exhaust 642850, even though it isn't CARB compliant, because there are NO CARB compliant Y-Pipes for my 99 Cali Emissions Max made anywhere and exhaust places aren't capable of making something using Universal CARB pre-cats and parts forY-Pipes and/or want the risk of $10K fines if they get it wrong. AND retailers selling these don't want anything to do with it because they're also afraid. You aren't going to believe how much my Manifold back exhaust system is costing me. Or how many countless hours this journey has cost..

How are all the hangers and rubber insulators under the car? Did you have to address any issues with them?

Did you use the SS Chrome tip or regular steel?

Looks SEXY.... Like it should be on a calendar! (Damn, we're getting old) LOL

Last edited by KP11520; 12-30-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
It's absolutely DISGUSTING how clean everything is! It's like you put the entire car in the dishwasher every day. Beautiful!

I'll be following your footsteps as soon as I can find a place that will ship a Y-Pipe to me in NY. I have an exception waiver from NY State to buy an AP Exhaust 642850, even though it isn't CARB compliant, because there are NO CARB compliant Y-Pipes for my 99 Cali Emissions Max made anywhere and exhaust places aren't capable of making something using Universal CARB pre-cats and parts forY-Pipes and/or want the risk of $10K fines if they get it wrong. AND retailers selling these don't want anything to do with it because they're also afraid. You aren't going to believe how much my Manifold back exhaust system is costing me. Or how many countless hours this journey has cost..

How are all the hangers and rubber insulators under the car? Did you have to address any issues with them?

Did you use the SS Chrome tip or regular steel?

Looks SEXY.... Like it should be on a calendar! (Damn, we're getting old) LOL
Glad you got the waiver! Make sure you keep a copy of it as long as you own the car! The good news is that you don't have to find a place to ship it to NY because you do have the waiver, so buying it in NJ will still be legal since you have official permission to buy that converter. This ebay seller has the AP pipe and is based in Edison. So even if they won't ship it to NY, you might be able to pick it up, or at least send them a copy of the waiver.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by maximaxi
Glad you got the waiver! Make sure you keep a copy of it as long as you own the car! The good news is that you don't have to find a place to ship it to NY because you do have the waiver, so buying it in NJ will still be legal since you have official permission to buy that converter. This ebay seller has the AP pipe and is based in Edison. So even if they won't ship it to NY, you might be able to pick it up, or at least send them a copy of the waiver.
Thanks maximaxi!

Yeah, that asshat eBay seller cancelled the order within hours asking for all kinds of info and not even waiting for a response, despite me sending a message when I placed the order I have a waiver letter from NYS. He won't even respond to additional messages or phone calls to his business. Everywhere I turn,lately, nobody is capable of thinking their way out of a paper bag.

In a couple more "business" days, I will file a formal complaint with eBay. Tired of all this crap.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:20 PM

@KP, sorry you're having such bad luck obtaining the converter! Try each seller one at a time until you get a tracking number. That is all I can think of.

Outside eBay, the big sellers like Autoplicity should be able to accommodate you.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:59 PM

I can try others.... And the price goes up, up and away! LOL

AND they charge shipping! OUCH

Any of you old enough to remember the original Lost In Space series?

DR Smith..... "Oh the PAAAAAAIN!"
Old 12-30-2018, 07:59 PM

The kit came with new rubber bushings but the installer wanted to use the old ones since they weren't worn out. I think Adam replaced those roughly 3 years ago. I can switch those out sometime next summer.
It looks like the exhaust system installer welded on the tip. Good idea I guess.
Have it shipped to me. Then I'll forward it. We don't have any inspection or emission rules around here.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-30-2018 at 08:03 PM.