Various issues - Page 2 - Maxima Forums

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Various issues

Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM
  #41  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by JvG View Post
Oh, my, coolant smell near where the belts and pulleys are?

put a piece of cardboard under that area when you park the car for the night. Look for coolant. Are you losing coolant by chance? I want you to open the radiator cap while the car is cold. It should be full
Yeah radiatior coolant is full.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 12:29 PM
  #42  
JvG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,934
Originally Posted by Catalysts View Post


Yeah radiatior coolant is full.
Keep watch on your coolant levels perhaps once a week, when the car is cold. It should remain constant. Should it drop, find out why.

Other smells and a bit of oil smoke might be the valve cover gaskets.

​​​​​As an other member mentioned, a video is very useful.
JvG is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 12:56 PM
  #43  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by JvG View Post
Keep watch on your coolant levels perhaps once a week, when the car is cold. It should remain constant. Should it drop, find out why.

Other smells and a bit of oil smoke might be the valve cover gaskets.

​​​​​As an other member mentioned, a video is very useful.
got it! And yeah I want to get a video going here soon, startup > run > engine bay etc.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM
  #44  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
So on the highway today from a stoplight I started to give the max some more gas, yet it seemed very lazy...the rpms would raise about 500 and level off for a second then raise some more until I slowly got up to 55 and let off. Had I actually gave it a lot of gas it may have done a little better but I ran out of highway until I had to turn Iíve been searching and a lot of threads seem sort of the same which point to the MAF or the IAC was wondering if anyone had more insight or if this may be an underlying issue to something else.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:51 PM
  #45  
JvG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,934
The idle air contol valve is all about idle.
So that is not the cause.

The maf could be the cause.

Any codes now?

Have you checked the rubber boot between the air cleaner and the throttle body? Loose clamps or a torn boot can create a massive air leak. It would also cause the maf to malfuntion. The maf measures the air flow though it. A leak in the boot would give a false reading.
JvG is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 PM
  #46  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by JvG View Post
The idle air contol valve is all about idle.
So that is not the cause.

The maf could be the cause.

Any codes now?

Have you checked the rubber boot between the air cleaner and the throttle body? Loose clamps or a torn boot can create a massive air leak. It would also cause the maf to malfuntion. The maf measures the air flow though it. A leak in the boot would give a false reading.
well the idle is steady...ish itís a small, probably within 50-100 rpm difference? It may be trying to find idle, although it didnít seem too bad... sorry I didnít describe this originally.

I do have codes but no code reader Iíll have to go outside and check with the ECU soon.

When I looked around the MAF area all of the hoses seemed okay, Iíll have to recheck those areas.

So if there is a torn hose would that not be making an sounds?

Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 PM
  #47  
JvG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,934
You NEED to buy a scanner!

I use the BAFX scanner available through amazon.
it's 22 or 27 dollars, for android or apple.

With it, and your phone, you can pull the codes.
You can also monitor your engine while it's running.
For example, if you have a leaking hose, it would indicate a rich mixture, the ecu would inject extra gas to compensate .

With a scanner, we can help you. Without it, you and us are just guessing and getting nowhere.
A scanner is a tool as basic and necessesary as a socket wrench. Please don't be a cheapskate. Spend the small amount of money they cost these days. Reading from the ecu alone might tell you what the stored codes are, but will not provide egen basic information about the engine as it runs.


one can look for a leak with a can of something combustable. Like starting fluid. Spray near a suspected leak. The engine will speed up as it sucks the fluid in.

Last edited by JvG; 02-11-2019 at 08:54 PM.
JvG is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 PM
  #48  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by JvG View Post
You NEED to buy a scanner!

I use the BAFX scanner available through amazon.
it's 22 or 27 dollars, for android or apple.

With it, and your phone, you can pull the codes.
You can also monitor your engine while it's running.
For example, if you have a leaking hose, it would indicate a rich mixture, the ecu would inject extra gas to compensate .

With a scanner, we can help you. Without it, you and us are just guessing and getting nowhere.
A scanner is a tool as basic and necessesary as a socket wrench. Please don't be a cheapskate. Spend the small amount of money they cost these days. Reading from the ecu alone might tell you what the stored codes are, but will not provide egen basic information about the engine as it runs.


one can look for a leak with a can of something combustable. Like starting fluid. Spray near a suspected leak. The engine will speed up as it sucks the fluid in.
BAFX, Iíve wanted to get a scanner anyway just unsure what I need.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 AM
  #49  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
I just ordered the BAFX that will go with my phone, Iíll let you know when I have it and what Iíve come up with
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 AM
  #50  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 293
Originally Posted by Catalysts View Post
I just ordered the BAFX that will go with my phone, Iíll let you know when I have it and what Iíve come up with
Video too
Shrout1 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 PM
  #51  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42

Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 PM
  #52  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
This is what Iím currently dealing with today...
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:17 PM
  #53  
JvG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,934
Originally Posted by Catalysts View Post
I just ordered the BAFX that will go with my phone, Iíll let you know when I have it and what Iíve come up with
To other members..........I'm not saying that the BAFX is the best one available.

It's just one that I bought at a very decent price, and I've found quite helpful. Others might be better, I really don't know.
JvG is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 PM
  #54  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by JvG View Post
To other members..........I'm not saying that the BAFX is the best one available.

It's just one that I bought at a very decent price, and I've found quite helpful. Others might be better, I really don't know.
I figured, last night I was up late researching scanners, this seems very cost effective for what it does.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:44 AM
  #55  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 293
Originally Posted by Catalysts View Post
This is what Iím currently dealing with today...
Haha oh man you gotta get that snow off before you do anything. I'll take my Alabama winters - it was *almost* freezing today. Brrrrrrrr..
Shrout1 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:22 PM
  #56  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Updates updates updates



so I finally got my scanner, I canít seem to get my photos to my computer to properly format this so Iím going to upload in order my posting, I apologize in advance...so for the first one, I plugged it in to figure out what was there.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:24 PM
  #57  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42


Obviously since Cyl 4 misfire was on there I decided to just clear codes and take it for a short drive.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 PM
  #58  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Now, since that small drive I took it for a bit longer just to make sure what was up, granted this was like a 10 minute drive I still figured something else could come up. So this is what else I obtained.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 PM
  #59  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Along with the previous codes I also have another area that, Iíll be honest Iím not quite sure what these are but Iíll upload them just for reference.






Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:35 PM
  #60  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Iím not sure what the last pictures mean, but the p1320 really concerns me, I mean essentially that could mean many things...but itís not connected with a misfire at the moment...besides the knock sensor thatís all thatís on the codes list. And the o2 sensor didnít come back, I feel like if it was bad it would originally come back anyway.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 PM
  #61  
JvG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,934
You are showing displays unlike anything I've seen on mine.

You have a misfire on # 4. Start there. Probable coIL or plug issue.

knock sensor is probably a ghost code

I'll be more helpful once I have a chance to plug my scanner in.

Please use the private message feature on this forum so that we can compare notes.
JvG is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:55 PM
  #62  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by JvG View Post
You are showing displays unlike anything I've seen on mine.

You have a misfire on # 4. Start there. Probable coIL or plug issue.

knock sensor is probably a ghost code

I'll be more helpful once I have a chance to plug my scanner in.

Please use the private message feature on this forum so that we can compare notes.
Iíll send you a message as well, but I really donít think I have the cylinder 4 misfire, I was dumb and never cleared it when I replaced the coil, which was a month ago and after I changed that coil it ran real great and still is, but when I finally cleared the code now I have the p1320 so I mean I could have a cylinder 4 misfire but as it stands nothing is actually misfiring from what I understand.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 PM
  #63  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by Catalysts View Post

Iíll send you a message as well, but I really donít think I have the cylinder 4 misfire, I was dumb and never cleared it when I replaced the coil, which was a month ago and after I changed that coil it ran real great and still is, but when I finally cleared the code now I have the p1320 so I mean I could have a cylinder 4 misfire but as it stands nothing is actually misfiring from what I understand.
I also did forget to mention that my spark plug on all cylinders were replaced with oem quality plugs about 500 miles give or take, so I guess we could be back to injectors IF the plug and coil are still flawless.
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 PM
  #64  
JvG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,934
Originally Posted by Catalysts View Post

I also did forget to mention that my spark plug on all cylinders were replaced with oem quality plugs about 500 miles give or take, so I guess we could be back to injectors IF the plug and coil are still flawless.
I looked up code 1320. Generally misfiring coil.

So, please move the coil from #4 to the one next to it. If the code follows the coil from # 4, you have confirmed that it is bad.
JvG is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:10 PM
  #65  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by JvG View Post
I looked up code 1320. Generally misfiring coil.

So, please move the coil from #4 to the one next to it. If the code follows the coil from # 4, you have confirmed that it is bad.
alright Iíll try that first
Catalysts is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 01:49 PM
  #66  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 293
All that snow clear up? You'll have this baby purring in no time.
Shrout1 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 04:14 PM
  #67  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by Shrout1 View Post
All that snow clear up? You'll have this baby purring in no time.
nah the white crap is still all over but itís mostly off the car, gotta give her a wash and when it gets warmer I have to work on some rust
Catalysts is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SeedyROM
5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
17
04-19-2011 01:10 AM
rick sambora
6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008)
4
06-28-2009 07:47 PM
KrayolaSE-L
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
4
05-10-2007 09:34 AM
maximamoose
6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008)
2
11-18-2004 10:25 AM
voltman
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
4
01-18-2001 11:36 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Various issues


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.