Various issues - Page 2 - Maxima Forums

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Various issues

Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by JvG View Post
Oh, my, coolant smell near where the belts and pulleys are?

put a piece of cardboard under that area when you park the car for the night. Look for coolant. Are you losing coolant by chance? I want you to open the radiator cap while the car is cold. It should be full
Yeah radiatior coolant is full.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:29 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Catalysts View Post

Yeah radiatior coolant is full.
Keep watch on your coolant levels perhaps once a week, when the car is cold. It should remain constant. Should it drop, find out why.

Other smells and a bit of oil smoke might be the valve cover gaskets.

​​​​​As an other member mentioned, a video is very useful.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:56 PM

Keep watch on your coolant levels perhaps once a week, when the car is cold. It should remain constant. Should it drop, find out why.

Other smells and a bit of oil smoke might be the valve cover gaskets.

​​​​​As an other member mentioned, a video is very useful.
got it! And yeah I want to get a video going here soon, startup > run > engine bay etc.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM

So on the highway today from a stoplight I started to give the max some more gas, yet it seemed very lazy...the rpms would raise about 500 and level off for a second then raise some more until I slowly got up to 55 and let off. Had I actually gave it a lot of gas it may have done a little better but I ran out of highway until I had to turn Iíve been searching and a lot of threads seem sort of the same which point to the MAF or the IAC was wondering if anyone had more insight or if this may be an underlying issue to something else.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:51 PM
JvG

The idle air contol valve is all about idle.
So that is not the cause.

The maf could be the cause.

Any codes now?

Have you checked the rubber boot between the air cleaner and the throttle body? Loose clamps or a torn boot can create a massive air leak. It would also cause the maf to malfuntion. The maf measures the air flow though it. A leak in the boot would give a false reading.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 PM

The idle air contol valve is all about idle.
So that is not the cause.

The maf could be the cause.

Any codes now?

Have you checked the rubber boot between the air cleaner and the throttle body? Loose clamps or a torn boot can create a massive air leak. It would also cause the maf to malfuntion. The maf measures the air flow though it. A leak in the boot would give a false reading.
well the idle is steady...ish itís a small, probably within 50-100 rpm difference? It may be trying to find idle, although it didnít seem too bad... sorry I didnít describe this originally.

I do have codes but no code reader Iíll have to go outside and check with the ECU soon.

When I looked around the MAF area all of the hoses seemed okay, Iíll have to recheck those areas.

So if there is a torn hose would that not be making an sounds?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 PM
JvG

You NEED to buy a scanner!

I use the BAFX scanner available through amazon.
it's 22 or 27 dollars, for android or apple.

With it, and your phone, you can pull the codes.
You can also monitor your engine while it's running.
For example, if you have a leaking hose, it would indicate a rich mixture, the ecu would inject extra gas to compensate .

With a scanner, we can help you. Without it, you and us are just guessing and getting nowhere.
A scanner is a tool as basic and necessesary as a socket wrench. Please don't be a cheapskate. Spend the small amount of money they cost these days. Reading from the ecu alone might tell you what the stored codes are, but will not provide egen basic information about the engine as it runs.

one can look for a leak with a can of something combustable. Like starting fluid. Spray near a suspected leak. The engine will speed up as it sucks the fluid in.

Last edited by JvG; 02-11-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 PM

You NEED to buy a scanner!

I use the BAFX scanner available through amazon.
it's 22 or 27 dollars, for android or apple.

With it, and your phone, you can pull the codes.
You can also monitor your engine while it's running.
For example, if you have a leaking hose, it would indicate a rich mixture, the ecu would inject extra gas to compensate .

With a scanner, we can help you. Without it, you and us are just guessing and getting nowhere.
A scanner is a tool as basic and necessesary as a socket wrench. Please don't be a cheapskate. Spend the small amount of money they cost these days. Reading from the ecu alone might tell you what the stored codes are, but will not provide egen basic information about the engine as it runs.

one can look for a leak with a can of something combustable. Like starting fluid. Spray near a suspected leak. The engine will speed up as it sucks the fluid in.
BAFX, Iíve wanted to get a scanner anyway just unsure what I need.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 AM

I just ordered the BAFX that will go with my phone, Iíll let you know when I have it and what Iíve come up with
Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 AM

I just ordered the BAFX that will go with my phone, Iíll let you know when I have it and what Iíve come up with
Video too
Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 PM

Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 PM

This is what Iím currently dealing with today...
Old 02-12-2019, 05:17 PM
JvG

To other members..........I'm not saying that the BAFX is the best one available.

It's just one that I bought at a very decent price, and I've found quite helpful. Others might be better, I really don't know.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 PM

To other members..........I'm not saying that the BAFX is the best one available.

It's just one that I bought at a very decent price, and I've found quite helpful. Others might be better, I really don't know.
I figured, last night I was up late researching scanners, this seems very cost effective for what it does.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:44 AM

This is what Iím currently dealing with today...
Haha oh man you gotta get that snow off before you do anything. I'll take my Alabama winters - it was *almost* freezing today. Brrrrrrrr..
Old 02-15-2019, 09:22 PM

Updates updates updates

so I finally got my scanner, I canít seem to get my photos to my computer to properly format this so Iím going to upload in order my posting, I apologize in advance...so for the first one, I plugged it in to figure out what was there.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:24 PM

Obviously since Cyl 4 misfire was on there I decided to just clear codes and take it for a short drive.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 PM

Now, since that small drive I took it for a bit longer just to make sure what was up, granted this was like a 10 minute drive I still figured something else could come up. So this is what else I obtained.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 PM

Along with the previous codes I also have another area that, Iíll be honest Iím not quite sure what these are but Iíll upload them just for reference.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:35 PM

Iím not sure what the last pictures mean, but the p1320 really concerns me, I mean essentially that could mean many things...but itís not connected with a misfire at the moment...besides the knock sensor thatís all thatís on the codes list. And the o2 sensor didnít come back, I feel like if it was bad it would originally come back anyway.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 PM
JvG

You are showing displays unlike anything I've seen on mine.

You have a misfire on # 4. Start there. Probable coIL or plug issue.

knock sensor is probably a ghost code

I'll be more helpful once I have a chance to plug my scanner in.

Please use the private message feature on this forum so that we can compare notes.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:55 PM

You are showing displays unlike anything I've seen on mine.

You have a misfire on # 4. Start there. Probable coIL or plug issue.

knock sensor is probably a ghost code

I'll be more helpful once I have a chance to plug my scanner in.

Please use the private message feature on this forum so that we can compare notes.
Iíll send you a message as well, but I really donít think I have the cylinder 4 misfire, I was dumb and never cleared it when I replaced the coil, which was a month ago and after I changed that coil it ran real great and still is, but when I finally cleared the code now I have the p1320 so I mean I could have a cylinder 4 misfire but as it stands nothing is actually misfiring from what I understand.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 PM

Iíll send you a message as well, but I really donít think I have the cylinder 4 misfire, I was dumb and never cleared it when I replaced the coil, which was a month ago and after I changed that coil it ran real great and still is, but when I finally cleared the code now I have the p1320 so I mean I could have a cylinder 4 misfire but as it stands nothing is actually misfiring from what I understand.
I also did forget to mention that my spark plug on all cylinders were replaced with oem quality plugs about 500 miles give or take, so I guess we could be back to injectors IF the plug and coil are still flawless.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:06 PM
JvG

I also did forget to mention that my spark plug on all cylinders were replaced with oem quality plugs about 500 miles give or take, so I guess we could be back to injectors IF the plug and coil are still flawless.
I looked up code 1320. Generally misfiring coil.

So, please move the coil from #4 to the one next to it. If the code follows the coil from # 4, you have confirmed that it is bad.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:10 PM

I looked up code 1320. Generally misfiring coil.

So, please move the coil from #4 to the one next to it. If the code follows the coil from # 4, you have confirmed that it is bad.
alright Iíll try that first
Old 02-16-2019, 01:49 PM

All that snow clear up? You'll have this baby purring in no time.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shrout1 View Post
All that snow clear up? You'll have this baby purring in no time.
nah the white crap is still all over but itís mostly off the car, gotta give her a wash and when it gets warmer I have to work on some rust