Various issues - Maxima Forums

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Various issues

Old 12-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Various issues

Hello to anyone who might read this,
about a month ago I believe, I posted a new member introduction, a promise filled post about getting my low mileage max back to its former self. Unfortunately things turned for the worse, I had my max serviced to stop itís misfire issue, plugs, the coil that was the issue and general maintenance. 250 some miles after that was done, the misfire came back. I would assume another if not all coils need to be replaced but I feel that thatís no the only issue. So I diagnosed myself with the nifty ECU CEL test. 4 codes came back
605 -cylinder #4 misfire
201 - Ignition circuit - this has to be a coil right?
304 - knock sensor - unsure about this.
503 - front right o2 sensor - not necessary but the CEL is annoying.
On top of these issues Iíve noticed that minor oil leakage, consisting of a small amount of around the manifold, but this is a very small amount almost like residue, but right below the front plugs behind the radiator, and closer to the left side is a more obvious sludgy oil leak? Iím not even sure if I can call it that.
Slightly before and after I had my car serviced I smelled a burning rubber in the engine bay, it was quite noticeable as soon as I got out of my car after even a short drive to work, now (granted I donít drive my car since these issues) I do not smell that ever since it started misfiring again. On top of all of this, today I went to move my car (alternate side parking, damn Minnesota winter) when I had finished and turned my car off I went to circle behind it, and a white lingering smoke was coming out of the exhaust now Iím not quite sure but Iíve had slight reason to believe that since the car was previously misfiring I was wondering if my car, if not whole exhaust was also compromised...and to top all that off a gas smell is evident after driven...sorry for the lengthly post, also merry Christmas Eve to anyone reading today, I know I could possibly search for similar issues but the links in the CEL checker are broken...

Old 12-24-2018, 12:31 PM

I'm not one of the Max pros here but here are some of my opinions on what you wrote:

Knock Sensor code could just be a piggy-back/ghost code that came up due to one of the other ones triggering.
The white lingering smoke... are you sure it wasn't just water vapor, as you mentioned that you just moved the car? Does it also come out after you've driven the car for awhile? If it does, and smells like gas, I hear that injector failure could result in that symptom.
Ignition Circuit code, I recall reading before that a faulty ignition switch could cause drivability issues. May look into that as it is easy to access under the dash and the part is pretty inexpensive if it ended up being the reason.

Best of luck and happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2018, 12:36 PM
JvG

The cell for the knock sensor is on when other codes are. Ignore that for now.

the oxy sensor IS an issue. Your mileage and your cat will suffer.

our cars have issues with fuel injectors. They are breaking their tips. That in turn allows more gas in there than is needed. Which results in misfire, but no codes. Your # 4 cyl might have a bad injector, coil, or plug.

Learn to use the internal Search feature of this forum.
research the fuel injectors and their pinil caps.

they can be rebuilt.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Since you've replaced the coils, more than likely you have a bad fuel injector. You can try replacing the front 3 as they are easy to get to and see if that fixes your issue. If not, then you'll have to pull the upper intake manifold to get to the back 3. If you plan on keeping your max for a long time, I'd just go ahead and have all 6 flow tested, cleaned and rebuilt. The downside is your car will be down for a week or two. As an alternative, you buy 6 injectors off of Ebay so you don't have any down time.

But first, start with the easy stuff. Pull your spark plugs and check the condition, Spark plugs tells you how healthy the system is running. A really black spark plug will tell you that cylinder is running rich, and thus the bad injector(s) has/have been found.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:38 PM

Well more than that could the issue! You need to change to Hitachi's, Hansin's or NGK coilpacks...Troubleshoot and determine if it's spark plug or coilpack first as well as which cylinder!
Old 12-24-2018, 09:43 PM

First Clear the CEL then, Swap #4 cylinder coilpack with #2 cylinder coilpack and see if the problem moves to the #2 cylinder...if not pull the sparkplugs of#2 & #4 cylinders and swap them...If the problems transfers then it's a spark plug issue if it doesn't then it's possible an injector issue!
Old 12-24-2018, 10:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I appreciate all of the replies! Iíve been working today so havenít even thought of the max. I love this car, only running 84k miles on the original engine, I could imagine that the previous owners didnít take the greatest care of it and never drove it, it was a one owner vehicle and I have the original importing paperwork sitting in the glove box! Reguardless of that I wonít be looking into it until after New Years. To add onto this I would love to keep the car for awhile. Iíll start off and look at all the plugs, I KNOW they changed all plugs cause I paid for that, unfortunately I only paid for one coil, I would assume they only changed the problem coil, annoying as that is depending on if one of the plugs are fouled I would assume I should change the corrisponding coil right?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:39 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Catalysts View Post
I appreciate all of the replies! Iíve been working today so havenít even thought of the max. I love this car, only running 84k miles on the original engine, I could imagine that the previous owners didnít take the greatest care of it and never drove it, it was a one owner vehicle and I have the original importing paperwork sitting in the glove box! Reguardless of that I wonít be looking into it until after New Years. To add onto this I would love to keep the car for awhile. Iíll start off and look at all the plugs, I KNOW they changed all plugs cause I paid for that, unfortunately I only paid for one coil, I would assume they only changed the problem coil, annoying as that is depending on if one of the plugs are fouled I would assume I should change the corrisponding coil right?
You told us about oil leaking from the valve cover area. The spark plug's live in a well which can flood wit oil from the valve cover as well.

So look for coil's or spark plugs with oil on them.
The oil can cause misfire.

replace the valve cover gaskets immediately if you find wet coils. Or wait on changing valve cover for a little while while you do more important things.

We have mentioned the possibility or rather likely hood of leaking injectors. If you have leaks in the rear ones, you will need to remove the intake manifold. This is not difficult, but is kinda a pita.
The rear valve cover gasket should be replaced at that point. Because it is either leaking oil noe, or will soon. Otherwise you will be removing the manifold again soon.

All cars have their flaws, or need parts after faithful service. Our cars bodies, engines, transmission are all good for at least 300k if serviced properly.

It's common to have leaking injectors, valve cover gaskets, or a sensor when you first get the car.

Once that kind of overdue issues are taken care of, the car might be good for an additional 100k. That's a lot of miles for the money.