Bought a POS $200 Maxima. Please spoonfeed me how to fix it - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Reload this Page >

Bought a POS $200 Maxima. Please spoonfeed me how to fix it

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bought a POS $200 Maxima. Please spoonfeed me how to fix it

Old 12-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

$200 Maxima

I bought this car on Friday, hoping to fix a few issues and sell it off for $1200 or so.
this is the proposed order of repairs
✓Fixing overheating
(Overheats after 15 or 20 min, coolant coming from front passenger side. Suspect it is water pump, hoping its not the head gasket.) Any insight appreciated
✓Fixing Codes
I've seen some posts on here about fixing these
(P1400, P0443, P0325, P0150)
✓Maybe fixing power steering
Not sure if it's absolutely necessary we will see where I am at on cost.
Anyways if any of y'all have experience with any of this let me know. I'm used to Ford and GM trucks, this is my first import.

Last edited by Mark Williams; 12-27-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Nice hazing, but I would like to keep the original title if you don't mind.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:38 AM

First test for a blown HG. If that's bad why fix anything else.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:11 PM
JvG

We don't spoon feed here.

Especially not for flippers.

do a block test of course.

Your water pump might be leaking.
It's not fun to fix.

Look for the Search feature in this forum..
All the technical questions and repair procedures are covered there.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:26 PM

Youíre also gonna want one of these:

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/
Old 12-26-2018, 01:43 PM

Have fun more than likely you're remain a Domesticated Guy...These aren't hard to work on but usually once the problem is correctly fixed you'll experience the long term reliability/durability of the Nissan brand! Good luck Domesticated Guy!
Old 12-26-2018, 01:52 PM

Oh one more thing...When fixed right and maintained pretty well these 4th Gen Maxima will run for 400K+ miles...Where are all thoughs 95-99 Ford Taurus? How about those 95-99 Chevy Impalas? They're almost all gone to their graves and to see one driving on the road is an oddity! Old Nissans role around H-town all day! 1st Gens, 2nd Gens, 3rd Gens, 4th Gens, 5th Gens, etc
Old 12-26-2018, 02:06 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by CMax03 View Post
Oh one more thing...When fixed right and maintained pretty well these 4th Gen Maxima will run for 400K+ miles...Where are all thoughs 95-99 Ford Taurus? How about those 95-99 Chevy Impalas? They're almost all gone to their graves and to see one driving on the road is an oddity! Old Nissans role around H-town all day! 1st Gens, 2nd Gens, 3rd Gens, 4th Gens, 5th Gens, etc
The Toyota Camry was a worthy competitor as well.
They are still quite common and can reach high mileages as well. Since they were a family car, they were direct competition to our Maximas.
Most Camrys were 4 cylinder, and were not as fun as our cars.
​​​​​
Old 12-26-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by JvG View Post
We don't spoon feed here.

Especially not for flippers.
If he splits the profit,,,, It might have a possibility! LOL

But we all know there will be NO profit if done right and factoring billing the learning curve properly!

You GOTS to put a lot of skin in the game for the wise ones to share. Then they won't care about splitting the profits! (not that there will be any. LOL)

And don't tell us you don't even have a code reader. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2018, 03:45 PM

I think a mod changed the thread title. Too funny.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Got Retrofit?

Can’t do it chief.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
Canít do it chief.
you can go through the same fukin bs that i and other long time max drivers have been through. get a cheap scanner and start scrachin ur head and scouring through multiple posts. i've been through hell trying to fix my goddamn 95, still isn't running right.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:00 AM

I would say start by providing your location. I see a pine tree in the back yard, a recently trimmed crepe myrtle, and a holly bush. So I don't think you are in a rust zone. Do you live in a state with an emission testing requirement? I don't think think it has a sunroof. No sunroof is actually a plus from a "less weight" position.

If you can provide the following information so we can help you determine if you should invest another dime in the car, part it out, or drive it to the nearest salvage yard and try to sell it for $250.

Originally Posted by PH98I30 View Post
First test for a blown HG. If that's bad why fix anything else.
Originally Posted by KP11520 View Post
But we all know there will be NO profit if done right and factoring billing the learning curve properly!
You GOTS to put a lot of skin in the game for the wise ones to share. Then they won't care about splitting the profits! (not that there will be any. LOL)
And don't tell us you don't even have a code reader. Good luck!
Done right would be a midlife refresh running from $1,500 basic parts to $3,500 (with suspension refresh).

Does the engine rattle a little around the timing cover during a cold start? If yes, then you will be better off pulling the timing cover and replacing the timing chain guide, tensioner, and water pump in one operation.

1) Run a compression test. You are looking for a cylinder with low compression that will point to a blown head gasket.
2) Miles - How many?
3) Pictures of the interior (seats, console, door panels and instrument cluster)
4) Pictures of the engine compartment (hoses, radiator, wiring harness condition)
5) Pictures of the underside of the engine (oil leaks)
6) Pictures of the CV joints
7) Pictures of stabilizer bar links.
8) Pictures of the cross member (under the radiator) for rust.
9) Picture of the transmission fluid color (burned smell)

How are you fixed for even size metric sockets, and gear wrenches? Must have in your tool box are the common Nissan sizes (8, 10, 12, and 14) MM

These are items to assess before you get into the high labor items like water pump, timing chain guides.

P0150 - O2 sensor front side of the engine by the radiator. A good thing to do is replace both. If the other O2 sensor has gone lazy, the engine will run better.

P0443 - Eval Purge Valve - Covered in the link below.

P1400 - EGR Valve tube clogged. To clear this up usually involves removing the upper intake manifold (e.g. intake plenum) and giving it a complete clean out. Pictures are in the link below.

P0325 - Knock Sensor - This is a bonus "ghost code" that may go away if you successfully resolve the other issues.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...rge-valve.html

The mystery item is the number of times the engine ran hot before it landed in the auction. It seems like 3 times is the magic number for aluminum engine overheating.

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-27-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:10 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Ouch, you guys can be tough.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Got Retrofit?

#nospoonfeeding2019
Old 12-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wtf

I was pretty excited about the car, and to find out there were a bunch of people really into these cars. I don't really need any technical advise, just thought maybe there were people who wanted to talk. But, this is the internet and I should have known better. Later
Old 12-27-2018, 10:07 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
I was pretty excited about the car, and to find out there were a bunch of people really into these cars. I don't really need any technical advise, just thought maybe there were people who wanted to talk. But, this is the internet and I should have known better. Later
It takes time and mental energy to help new people.
Many of our members use their cars as dependable daily drivers. They keep them for years. We get to know our members. They both get help from others and sometimes contribute their experiences.

You are here just to pick our brains to make a few hundred. So we are not bending over to help you.

All the answers to your questions are available by using the Search button.

Good luck, best wishes.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JvG View Post
It takes time and mental energy to help new people.
Many of our members use their cars as dependable daily drivers. They keep them for years. We get to know our members. They both get help from others and sometimes contribute their experiences.

You are here just to pick our brains to make a few hundred. So we are not bending over to help you.

All the answers to your questions are available by using the Search button.

Good luck, best wishes.

Not really in it for the money. Just enjoy messing with cars. Thanks anyways.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Most of the answers to your questions are in the How To section. Once you fix this car, drive it. You might find out you really like it. These are powerful engines, one of the best Nissan ever made. It's not a difficult car to work on except the water pump and maybe the upper oil pan. In owning mine for six years, the radiator, alternator and O2 sensors are all I have had to replace other than routine maintenance. These cars will easily make it to 300-400K miles.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by PH98I30 View Post
Most of the answers to your questions are in the How To section. Once you fix this car, drive it. You might find out you really like it. These are powerful engines, one of the best Nissan ever made. It's not a difficult car to work on except the water pump and maybe the upper oil pan. In owning mine for six years, the radiator, alternator and O2 sensors are all I have had to replace other than routine maintenance. These cars will easily make it to 300-400K miles.
I will be sure to update yall with it's progress. I'm sure it will be a fun project.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 AM
Father of the 00 VI

That cars actually in really good shape. Ive had maxima's that drive that have holes in the floor and great stuff foam filling the rocker.

By the way that picture in my signature was a 3.0 with stock motor . Can a domestic family car .rev like that?

Last edited by krismax; 12-28-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by krismax View Post
That cars actually in really good shape. Ive had maxima's that drive that have holes in the floor and great stuff foam filling the rocker.

By the way that picture in my signature was a 3.0 with stock motor . Can a domestic family car .rev like that?
Compression test done. Dry @ 160-180 wet @ 170-190. From that I'm taking it the motor is healthy and I can move on to the water pump. AC works. Didn't check the heat, and no timing chain noise as CS-AR advised me to look out for. Next weekend I'm going to try and do the water pump and O2 sensors.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart View Post
I think a mod changed the thread title. Too funny.
I think you're right because I would've noticed this earlier haha
Old 01-02-2019, 04:21 AM

Compression test done. Dry @ 160-180 wet @ 170-190. From that I'm taking it the motor is healthy and I can move on to the water pump. AC works. Didn't check the heat, and no timing chain noise as CS-AR advised me to look out for. Next weekend I'm going to try and do the water pump and O2 sensors.
-
I make it a practice to change O2 sensors somewhere between 110,000 and 130,000 miles. It gives the engine a little pep around town as the older sensors start to get lazy and don't respond as quickly as new sensors. I have only used NTK sensors on my Nissan and Honda products. I've had good look with Bosch for Ford and GM products. I'm sure there are other good sensors out there, I just have experience with those brands. I usually buy NTK from Rock Auto. I'm sure you know about www.rockauto.com.
-

Be sure to read up on how to change a water pump. It can be tricky to get slack in the timing chain where you need it.

- Anytime I do anything with the timing chain that involves risk of the chain jumping off, I get the timing set on Top Dead Center (TDC). If something goes wrong, having the timing set on TDC can save you a headache down the line. The interesting part is when I take all of the preparation steps like that, the jobs go smoothly. Note Cylinder 1 is on the engine front closest to the firewall.
-
Once you get the pump changed and you see the car is holding water ok, you might want to try some NGK Copper V-Power plugs. Unlike platinum, they last about 24,000 miles, but they get along well with older (marginal coil packs) and your engine will love them. They usually cost around $2 and change. I'm sure you know how racers prefer copper due to the spark advantage. I only run V-Power plugs on my 4th gens. I have no problem changing plugs every 24,000 miles and it lets me get a read on how each cylinder is burning on these older engines.

--

While this thread is about timing chain guides, please read it and take note of how you can make some "guide pins" that will be very helpful when putting everything back together. I use Permatex Ultra Gray for metal-to-metal sealant

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ransplant.html

-

Last edited by CS_AR; 01-02-2019 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:29 AM

From that I'm taking it the motor is healthy and I can move on to the water pump.
Have fun with that! I bought my '99 from a friend and it came with a new Bosch water pump, in the box. I thought that was a nice touch...

I pulled the engine at the end of '17 (with the help of a friend) and replaced it (amongst many other things). Boredmder did it without pulling the engine, but man is it a squeeze. Transversely mounted V6 FTW.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Shrout1 View Post
Have fun with that! I bought my '99 from a friend and it came with a new Bosch water pump, in the box. I thought that was a nice touch...

I pulled the engine at the end of '17 (with the help of a friend) and replaced it (amongst many other things). Boredmder did it without pulling the engine, but man is it a squeeze. Transversely mounted V6 FTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibfs1Zu9h4o
After owning maxima's for 21 years ,and having two over 10 years of owning them. Never had a water pump go bad.

I had a oil pump go bad ,after revving the engine to 8k hundreds of times.

But when a engine has things like that go,it's time for a new engine. One i just found last year ,had only 40k on it.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:44 PM

It's usually not the water pump that goes. It's the rubber O-ring gasket that fails. But while you have done the work, you might as well put in a new water pump. I am at 167K miles and my water pump hasn't failed yet and I see no rust damage... fingers crossed. I guess the bearings could go out.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Shrout1 View Post

If you put a jack under the engine oil pan, you can unbolt the pass. side motor mount and jack the engine up far enough to remove the pump easily. I've done two so far. '97 gle and '00 gle.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:53 AM

The old one still looked all right, but I figured with 178k on it and the engine out, I might as well get it done. With the engine out it was a piece of cake lol
Old 01-06-2019, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01 View Post
If you put a jack under the engine oil pan, you can unbolt the pass. side motor mount and jack the engine up far enough to remove the pump easily. I've done two so far. '97 gle and '00 gle.
Great tip. I will remember that.