4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The Creaking Noise is now GONE

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 05:24 PM

The Creaking Noise is now GONE

To our members that know that I've been battling a strange suspension creaking noise on the 99 SE 5-MT for over a year, the noise problem has been solved. It was a creaking noise that would happen when I applied the brakes or when pulling into the driveway. Earlier, I refreshed the suspension on the 98 model GLE with new Koni Orange, SE/Touring mounts OEM everything except the stabilizer bar bushings that are ES for the GLE. I went with OEM stabilizer bar bushings for the SE.
So after replacing the suspension to make both the 98 and 99 models be as identical as possible, I still had this crazy creaking noise.
Trying to locate this noise really started to wear on me. I bought a chassis ear and hooked it up to suspension components and took the car for a drive. The chassis ear sensor pointed to the stabilizer bar. I couldn't believe it.

How can a stabilizer bar with relatively new OEM bushings make so much noise?

Finally, today I pulled out the bar (as much as possible) and found a rough spot on the bar that makes contact with the bushing. It wasn't a large spot, but just a rough place on the bar. Somehow the rough spot would rub against the bushing and make a loud creak. It's like the stabilizer bar carried the noise like a guitar string.

To remedy the problem, I sanded down the rough spot and polished it off with some 1000 grit sandpaper. Then I installed some new Beck Arnley 101-5586 stabilizer bar bushings for the SE suspension's 19mm bar, Also I used some white brake caliper grease that is safe for rubber as a bushing lubricant. Put the car back together and the noise is GONE.
So now the 98 and 99 have very quiet suspensions. With the new Walker exhaust system replacing the glass pack and straight pipe, the 99 SE is nice and quiet like the 98 GLE.

Now I have a NEW NOISE to chase. The passenger door seems to be a touch loose compared to the driver door. I can hear the door move a little on certain streets.

Can the door be tightened up? It this a matter of adjusting the striker to take out some of the slack? I think this problem is solvable.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL
Old 12-31-2018, 06:43 PM

Great find! I also have that dang suspension creaking noise and just recently replaced the old poly anti-sway bar bushings with original rubber, but the noise is still there (got rid of a snap/pop noise on turns though. one poly bushing was totally destroyed and missing).

Never heard of the door noise, though had it on a older different car. Ended up being the door striker was worn down on that one.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Great find! I also have that dang suspension creaking noise and just recently replaced the old poly anti-sway bar bushings with original rubber, but the noise is still there (got rid of a snap/pop noise on turns though. one poly bushing was totally destroyed and missing).

Never heard of the door noise, though had it on a older different car. Ended up being the door striker was worn down on that one.
The striker may need adjustment or replacement. On one of my Nissans the plastic housing on the striker loop is completely worn down. The noise may be from the door gasket rubbing against metal. I'm going to try rubbing the gasket with some Shin Etsu grease. Gasket noise from rubbing and separation is common on the big Honda Odyssey doors. Some guy with a 300zx used it to stop a t-top water leak in the following video.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Nice detective work, Craig. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2019, 05:39 AM

Here's a picture of the STEELMAN 06600 ChassisEAR Electronic Squeak and Rattle Finder that I used to locate the problem.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:11 AM

at some point we're going to find craig's maxima's on some barn find car show and they'll say "ooo, look, what a rare find to have 22 maxima's exactly alike and craig will be in a chair, ( skeleton only ) with a beer in one hand and giving everyone the finger with the other!
wizard will have frozen himself in time in a air sealed house with his maxima's, still waiting to be awakened by someone in 2084!

Last edited by max ride 41; 01-01-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
at some point we're going to find craig's maxima's on some barn find car show and they'll say "ooo, look, what a rare find to have 22 maxima's exactly alike and craig will be in a chair, ( skeleton only ) with a beer in one hand and giving everyone the finger with the other!
wizard will have frozen himself in time in a air sealed house with his maxima's, still waiting to be awakened by someone in 2084!
ROFL - That's funny. It's like a Nissan mechanic once told me, those old 4th gens just keep going forever.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:35 PM

I had just enough Shin Etsu lest to treat the passenger and driver doors. That stopped irritating noise. Though I would like to tighten up the passenger door a bit though.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:29 AM