computer swap - what needs to match and is repregramming needed? - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Reload this Page >

computer swap - what needs to match and is repregramming needed?

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:51 PM

I apologize since I know this has been discussed somewhat before but I am getting conflicting info reading about this and I need to know for sure before attempting to replace my computer. Specifically, five questions:

Does the computer I put in ...

1. need to be from a car of the same year (97) or just same generation?
2. need to be from a car of the same transmission type (manual)?
3. need to have the 2 digit code match my old computer exactly?
4 need to be re-programmed to match my key or security system? If so, can only the dealer do this or any locksmith or even a regular shop?
5 need to be specific to CA-spec cars? Mine is a CA car
Old 01-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Rit

What year is your Maxima ?
Old 01-13-2019, 12:37 PM

The 95, 96 and 99 ECU are a lot different than yours, stay away from them and don't even try them. The 97 and 98 are pretty much the same. Transmission type and emissions type make a difference. If you get and ECU from a donor car equipped like yours, you don't need to get it reprogrammed, otherwise yes.

Locksmiths don't reprogram car computers. An independent repair shop might, but they are few and far between. Ask around. You probably will have to use a dealer.

It is rather rare that an ECU has to be replaced, so the question is - Why are you replacing the computer?

If there are burned up chips in the ECU, there are repair services that will fix them. Prices vary, bu you should be able to find one for $150, maybe less.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:55 PM

Thank you so much for the info, it looks like the biggest challenge will be finding one from a manual.

I'm replacing the ecu and alternator in hopes of fixing whatever is causing the car to rapidly burn through ignition coils, 14 so far. I have scoped the trigger signal and someone on another forum said the waveform coming from the ecu looks terrible and that ecu malfunction is likely overheating and burning the coils. They get extremely hot and melt from the inside. I have eliminated spark plugs and every other possible cause.

Despite still charging fine, the alternator was tested to have an open diode so possibly dirty power has damaged the ecu or is having some effect here as well.