4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 Cali Emissions guys, parts help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:59 PM

99 Cali Emissions guys, parts help needed

So I have everything I need to do the entire exhaust past the exhaust manifolds back.

Since it's Winter and refuse to do this on my back on jack stands, I'll have a local guy I trust, swap everything out. I want to supply everything necessary to avoid bend me over markups.

So the front manifold hand off to the pre-cat has 5 holes for studs and/or bolts. From the OEM diagram, they list only two studs (14070-53Y00) and two nuts (20602-41G00), but no bolts or sizes. They might also be brass. Anybody know either the sizes or Nissan part numbers? Same with the rear manifold to "Y-Pipe" gasket/seal. Different searches always bring me back to the same information short sources.

As for the rest of the nuts, bolts and lock washers, all stainless, as all the parts are stainless as well. Hopefully done for a VERY long time.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cant really help with any of that sadly, infact i never could get the manifold and precat sections separated as the studs/bolts tend to be horribly rusted where they snap instantly to even the smallest amount of torque. Im curious though, why replace these? Even if the precats are getting clogged, you could just bore them out and slap them back on with no issues, you probably wouldnt even get o2 codes. Even if you did there are extremely cheap and easy ways to remedy that (ie; defoulers)

If you cant find the proper gaskets though, you may wish to consider something like this:
Amazon Amazon
basically its a graphite based sheet of gasket material, you cut it to shape and slap it on. I never used the universal sheet like shown in the link, but the gaskets for my headers are made of the exact same material and they are great, they have some crush to them so even if your surfaces are not perfect they will form to create a proper seal. Just gotta be careful not to drop/bend the gasket because the material is kinda brittle and can crumble easily, not something thats an issue once its installed though.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:42 PM

Ha! You also live on LI. You know what our State Gvt did to our CARB compliant laws. And anybody installing can be fined $10K to start for tampering with any part of not conforming to CARB compliant rules and parts. Inspection is due by the end of the month. Gotta get this done..... FINALLY!
Old 01-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KP11520
Ha! You also live on LI. You know what our State Gvt did to our CARB compliant laws. And anybody installing can be fined $10K to start for tampering with any part of not conforming to CARB compliant rules and parts. Inspection is due by the end of the month. Gotta get this done..... FINALLY!
unless they changed the law in the past year, you can ignore it. None of my cars have ever been compliant and never have i worried about it being an issue. Its a law thats extremely difficult to enforce, basically unless your car is impounded or being inspected by the DMV, it will never come up. A normal shop wont care about this crap. Ive had headers and an aftermarket, non carb compliant cat on all of my cars, as well as extremely blatant nonfoulers - never once did anyone bat an eye. If youre doing all this exhaust work to comply with this dumb law youre pretty much wasting your time and money. At least thats my opinion. No one is gonna go under your car looking for serial numbers on your cats lol

edit; whats stopping you from passing inspection? What codes? If its o2 codes, just save your money and use defoulers. Again, they wont stop you from passing inspection, shops dont care let alone bother to look lol. Save your money!!!!

Last edited by Slamrod; 01-21-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:18 PM

99 Cali Emissions car with 4 O2 sensors

Originally Posted by Slamrod

unless they changed the law in the past year, you can ignore it. None of my cars have ever been compliant and never have i worried about it being an issue. Its a law thats extremely difficult to enforce, basically unless your car is impounded or being inspected by the DMV, it will never come up. A normal shop wont care about this crap. Ive had headers and an aftermarket, non carb compliant cat on all of my cars, as well as extremely blatant nonfoulers - never once did anyone bat an eye. If youre doing all this exhaust work to comply with this dumb law youre pretty much wasting your time and money. At least thats my opinion. No one is gonna go under your car looking for serial numbers on your cats lol

edit; whats stopping you from passing inspection? What codes? If its o2 codes, just save your money and use defoulers. Again, they wont stop you from passing inspection, shops dont care let alone bother to look lol. Save your money!!!!
Old 01-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

99 Cali Emissions car with 4 O2 sensors
Whats the issue that is preventing it from passing inspection though? Codes? Exhaust leaks? Still not understanding why youre replacing the exhaust in the first place lol. My first max was a cali spec 99', i had headers which replaced/deleted the precats +ypipe, as well as non foulers to prevent any o2 codes. The main cat was a magnaflow i think, whatever warpspeed was selling as a "fast cat" at the time - that cat was also specifically illegal to use in cali and NY but that didnt stop me lol. Basically everything was noncompliant, yet i never had an issue ever involving the carb law.

Last edited by Slamrod; 01-21-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:27 PM

I hope this diagram helps.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:08 PM

Whats the issue that is preventing it from passing inspection though? Codes? Exhaust leaks? Still not understanding why youre replacing the exhaust in the first place lol. My first max was a cali spec 99', i had headers which replaced/deleted the precats +ypipe, as well as non foulers to prevent any o2 codes. The main cat was a magnaflow i think, whatever warpspeed was selling as a "fast cat" at the time - that cat was also specifically illegal to use in cali and NY but that didnt stop me lol. Basically everything was noncompliant, yet i never had an issue ever involving the carb law.
I am NOT getting under the car in Winter while on Jack Stands at best That means Mechanic shop is doing the work and I want it done right. My Y-Pip had so many flex pipes welded in and cut out, there's nothing left to work with and the Exhaust places welded everything together so if I replaced the Y Pipe, New rear Cat too. No patience to play games with Check Engine lights and trial and error..

Now I have everything new and it's getting done as soon as I get the last few little things.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:12 PM

Hey Jack ****,

Thanks for looking and finding that diagram. Been there, done that.

See that bolt pointing upward in the front pre-cat (Sec208) at the bottom? Nowhere is that bolt given a size or part number. I think I need 3.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 AM

Hey Jack ****,

See that bolt pointing upward in the front pre-cat (Sec208) at the bottom? Nowhere is that bolt given a size or part number. I think I need 3.
KP just give up and move to Alabama with me. There care just as much as you think they would har har
Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Shrout1
KP just give up and move to Alabama with me. There care just as much as you think they would har har
Ha! That would be counterproductive! Two of us 4th Gen owners whining together..... In Harmony!

With a bad case of the Birmingham Blues! (Charlie Daniels Band)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was bored last night, i found the part number but unfortunately its discontinued, no size listed either. You do need 5 of the bolts though. I think your best bet is to take the cat/manifold into home depot or wherever and try different bolts until one fits.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:27 PM

I was bored last night, i found the part number but unfortunately its discontinued, no size listed either. You do need 5 of the bolts though. I think your best bet is to take the cat/manifold into home depot or wherever and try different bolts until one fits.
I wish! The manifolds have the threaded side of the equation and I'm not messing with them! LOL I got enough problems!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wish! The manifolds have the threaded side of the equation and I'm not messing with them! LOL I got enough problems!
dont think you got much choice lol but yeah i dont blame you, this weather is brutal. Just have your mechanic figure that bs out
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 PM

Hey Jack ****,

Are you talking about Part # 20802AA? It shows it on the other diagram I posted.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

What I noted last time I worked on the pre cats (was on a 02):
Front manifold bolts are 8 mm x 1.25.
Rear manifold bolts are 10 mm x 1.50.​​​​​
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jack ****
Are you talking about Part # 20802AA? It shows it on the other diagram I posted.
DOH! THANK YOU!!!!!! Right there and whatever reason, my mind didn't acknowledge it!

Wooo Hooo

One step closer!

And thanks to you JSutter as well!

Isn't Maxima.org a great resource for us all?

Thank you again Gentlemen! JS Squared!