Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   clogged cat, will be putting a test pipe on next week (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/703653-clogged-cat-will-putting-test-pipe-next-week.html)

max ride 41 02-12-2019 09:58 PM

clogged cat, will be putting a test pipe on next week

so, after all the bs and headache i went through with the max, i never dropped the cat and checked it. i almost know that it's clogged and causing my stalling issue, black plugs, and smoke out of the exhaust issue. unbelievable that i never thought to check it, if anyone in here mentioned it i don't recall. if this fixes the problems with maxy, i'm going to throw a goddamn party in celebration. :Party:

ChrisMan287 02-13-2019 09:52 AM

Get a 240SX test pipe. They sell one with an O2 sensor bung that works for '95-'96 cars.

max ride 41 02-13-2019 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 (Post 9195072)
Get a 240SX test pipe. They sell one with an O2 sensor bung that works for '95-'96 cars.

will this one do the trick?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-1995-2....c100005.m1851

ChrisMan287 02-13-2019 10:24 AM

Yes. Keep looking around you may be able to find it cheaper.

max ride 41 02-13-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 (Post 9195074)
Yes. Keep looking around you may be able to find it cheaper.

so, it says 3 inch, my exhaust is a warpspeed y and and aftermarket b pipe, i don't think that that is 3 inches. is this going to be a direct fit? also, when i checked the fitment it said this
"
This part is not compatible with 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE Sedan 4-Door 3.0L 2988CC 182Cu. In. V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated.

ChrisMan287 02-13-2019 04:09 PM

It will fit just fine.

max ride 41 02-13-2019 05:55 PM

i got this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/123446783845?ul_noapp=true

JvG 02-14-2019 10:21 AM

Gosh, if the opportunity lives in an area without emmissions inspection, he might be tempted to leave it there. Not that would be legal......

krismax 02-14-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by JvG (Post 9195187)
Gosh, if the opportunity lives in an area without emmissions inspection, he might be tempted to leave it there. Not that would be legal......

I knew in new york they don't care how many cats you have. They just hook up to an OBD port for codes.

At 25 years ,you can have no cats and 30 check engine lights and pass.95 are coming up on that. I assume Penn easier than NY.

I would have went with a resonated test pipe. They replacement cats for $80.

Maxsufr12 02-14-2019 04:51 PM

Why on earth would you put a test pipe on? Your car is surely to sound like **** I promise you that and it effects smooth acceleration. The only way it wouldn't hurt is unless and this is a big unless your exhaust is completely stock. Do yourself the biggest favor and put a normal cat on. Lol didnt finish reading, 3" test pipe lol you've entered the idiot zone

max ride 41 02-14-2019 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Maxsufr12 (Post 9195240)
Why on earth would you put a test pipe on? Your car is surely to sound like **** I promise you that and it effects smooth acceleration. The only way it wouldn't hurt is unless and this is a big unless your exhaust is completely stock. Do yourself the biggest favor and put a normal cat on. Lol didnt finish reading, 3" test pipe lol you've entered the idiot zone

i got it on the cheap ( 26.00 bux ) and it's a TEST PIPE. i'm just doing it to see if that's the issue. and, i know it'll fluctuate the exhaust tone and idle, once again, TEST PIPE.

Maxsufr12 02-15-2019 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9195279)
i got it on the cheap ( 26.00 bux ) and it's a TEST PIPE. i'm just doing it to see if that's the issue. and, i know it'll fluctuate the exhaust tone and idle, once again, TEST PIPE.

I dont think your issue is a clogged cat especially on these cars, most of the particles would break off inside it and blow out causing it to free flow more lol. So, if the test pipe doesnt remedy your problem, what are you going to do return it? Lol. Seems like your throwing parts at it, if your going to replace you should have replaced it with a quality HIGH FLOW cat and be done.

TonyStert 02-15-2019 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Maxsufr12 (Post 9195240)

This is the kind of assholish response that really just irritates me. It’s always some know-it-all douchebag ****posting opinions like they’re facts.

ChrisMan287 02-15-2019 09:48 AM

The car will not sound like crap if it doesn’t already and there’s will be no negative affect performance wise (speaking from actual experience not speaking hypothetically).

Maxsufr12 02-15-2019 10:12 AM

Lol you guys are both clearly WRONG. Adding a 3" in test pipe to his car will not improve performance in fact itll do the opposite. It'll mess the fuel mixture causing poor performance. This is common sense lol. Btw is your car stock and automatic? if so itll sound like **** even more.

JvG 02-15-2019 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Maxsufr12 (Post 9195314)
Lol you guys are both clearly WRONG. Adding a 3" in test pipe to his car will not improve performance in fact itll do the opposite. It'll mess the fuel mixture causing poor performance. This is common sense lol. Btw is your car stock and automatic? if so itll sound like **** even more.

Please share your rational and infinite wisdom regarding how this would cause lower performance.

the original poster wants to TEST his exhaust , not leave it there. Others might be tempted to leave it in place.

Shrout1 02-15-2019 11:27 AM

Hey with all of max ride's issues I completely understand trying the $26 solution. The most frustrating thing will be if it doesn't fix it! Gotta get that fart can! That low-flow! I can't even imagine doing that to this car :D I know there are people that pimp these out (Fast and the Furious style!) but it still looks like a family sedan to me. I love the simple lines though :)

JvG 02-15-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shrout1 (Post 9195325)
Hey with all of max ride's issues I completely understand trying the $26 solution. The most frustrating thing will be if it doesn't fix it! Gotta get that fart can! That low-flow! I can't even imagine doing that to this car :D I know there are people that pimp these out (Fast and the Furious style!) but it still looks like a family sedan to me. I love the simple lines though :)

I understand what Max ride wants to do. Just rUn an experiment to rule out a possible reason why his car wont run as it should. Franky, I've done similar stuff. I win most of the time, but sometimes I dont.

I wish him success.

ChrisMan287 02-15-2019 02:50 PM

Equal length y-pipe, test pipe and Cattman catback on my old auto. Sounded great! Car moved decently as well.

JvG 02-15-2019 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TonyStert (Post 9195294)

This is the kind of assholish response that really just irritates me. It’s always some know-it-all douchebag ****posting opinions like they’re facts.

Looks like we have a new member who needs a lesson regarding manners.

I been on this forum for years. So have a lot of us.
We treat each other with respect. We help each other. We learn from our mistakes, and those of others. We also share our success stories.

Our new member might consider Kharma.

Maxsufr12 02-15-2019 03:09 PM

I agree jvg, some guys cant take criticism lol. That video doesn't prove or mean anything btw, for one your not driving your just reving lol, and it's a completely different set up. cattman parts and a equal length y pipe are definitely going to help in the sound department. OP should post a more descriptive picture of his exhaust setup.

JvG 02-15-2019 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Maxsufr12 (Post 9195344)
I agree jvg, some guys cant take criticism lol. That video doesn't prove or mean anything btw, for one your not driving your just reving lol, and it's a completely different set up. cattman parts and a equal length y pipe are definitely going to help in the sound department. OP should post a more descriptive picture of his exhaust setup.

No, I was referring to yourself.

Your attitude is not particularly welcome on this forum. You are the know it all......

Maxsufr12 02-15-2019 03:37 PM

Lol thats enlightening, well I can give 2 dog craps what you think about me, you already know what you can go do. This is about maximas not a personality contest lol.

Shrout1 02-15-2019 03:51 PM

Hey! We are all here to help one another and come together as a community :) With our old beaters it's important that a body of knowledge like this exist.

The internet can be a particularly difficult place to communicate, especially seeing as we have to do it all through text. Sometimes the subtleties of sarcasm or other forms of humor don't come through. But at the end of the day I think we're all on here to learn and try to support one another. So let's all stay civil!

JvG 02-15-2019 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maxsufr12 (Post 9195346)
Lol thats enlightening, well I can give 2 dog craps what you think about me, you already know what you can go do. This is about maximas not a personality contest lol.

Thaats fine. Should you have an issue of your own someday, myself and others will ignore you.

Thats the kind of Kharma I'm talking about.

JvG 02-15-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by User1 (Post 9195369)
Sheesh, you 4th gen guys are hostile! The majority of my experience here on the forum began last June in the 5th gen section when I picked up a 5th gen for a swap project. Myself and everyone else were nothing but kind, helpful, respectful and with a sprinkle of dry humor here and there to keep it entertaining. Since browsing the 4th gen section over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of drama. Ya'll have some short fuses and a hard time taking jokes and criticism here in 4th gen land! Being that we're all Maxheads and on the same team, it's hard to understand why the crowd would be that much different?

Thats exactly how I feel about it.

The whole point is to keep this forum EXACTLY as you accurately described it.

Shrout1 02-16-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by User1 (Post 9195369)
Sheesh, you 4th gen guys are hostile! The majority of my experience here on the forum began last June in the 5th gen section when I picked up a 5th gen for a swap project. Myself and everyone else were nothing but kind, helpful, respectful and with a sprinkle of dry humor here and there to keep it entertaining. Since browsing the 4th gen section over the last few weeks I've noticed a lot of drama. Ya'll have some short fuses and a hard time taking jokes and criticism here in 4th gen land! Being that we're all Maxheads and on the same team, it's hard to understand why the crowd would be that much different?

The thing I've noticed about our community is that a lot of the members expect thread starters to *respond* to the questions they have been asked when they are being helped. If I ever post a thread about a problem I try do my best to address any suggestions and questions posted by other members. I've seen threads get a little critical of members who aren't providing the desired feedback, but honestly it's understandable. If someone comes on here for help and then ignores all the suggestions made to them, well, the process becomes a bit self defeating.

Other communities I'm part of are even less tolerant of failing to provide feedback and asking duplicate questions (i.e. not searching) than this one. If anyone has a stackexchange account of any kind you may know what I'm speaking of. That is a community where the question asker must have laser focus, organized points and all their research done in advance.

All that being said, this is supposed to be a place where we help one another so I've always tried to live by the thumper rule: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." It can be tough taking light criticism from others sometimes, but it's unavoidable out here on the web :) Many a bridge troll can sit down in front of their computer, masked in anonymity and type to their heart's content. Sometimes even bridge trolls can have constructive things to say, it's just a matter of coaxing it out of them. Usually I just feel bad for internet trolls as I can only imagine what their personal lives are like

TonyStert 02-16-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shrout1 (Post 9195399)
The thing I've noticed about our community is that a lot of the members expect thread starters to *respond* to the questions they have been asked when they are being helped. If I ever post a thread about a problem I try do my best to address any suggestions and questions posted by other members. I've seen threads get a little critical of members who aren't providing the desired feedback, but honestly it's understandable. If someone comes on here for help and then ignores all the suggestions made to them, well, the process becomes a bit self defeating.

Other communities I'm part of are even less tolerant of failing to provide feedback and asking duplicate questions (i.e. not searching) than this one. If anyone has a stackexchange account of any kind you may know what I'm speaking of. That is a community where the question asker must have laser focus, organized points and all their research done in advance.

All that being said, this is supposed to be a place where we help one another so I've always tried to live by the thumper rule: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." It can be tough taking light criticism from others sometimes, but it's unavoidable out here on the web :) Many a bridge troll can sit down in front of their computer, masked in anonymity and type to their heart's content. Sometimes even bridge trolls can have constructive things to say, it's just a matter of coaxing it out of them. Usually I just feel bad for internet trolls as I can only imagine what their personal lives are like

Hear hear, true wisdom.

max ride 41 02-16-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by TonyStert (Post 9195294)

agreed, thank you. i had a high flow cat, and this guy doesn'y even know what's been done to the car. smh

max ride 41 02-16-2019 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by JvG (Post 9195345)
No, I was referring to yourself.

Your attitude is not particularly welcome on this forum. You are the know it all......

:lolrun:

max ride 41 02-16-2019 02:12 PM

so, i get the test pipe and chrisman287 say's it will fit just fine? how? exhaust size now is 2 and a quarter inch, new one is 3 inch, is there a magical spell that will make it fit?

JvG 02-16-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9195427)
so, i get the test pipe and chrisman287 say's it will fit just fine? how? exhaust size now is 2 and a quarter inch, new one is 3 inch, is there a magical spell that will make it fit?

Like a magical handy dandy adapter device?

Darn. I was looking forward to a verdict regarding if the cat was an issue or not. Good luck !
​​​​​​

max ride 41 02-16-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by JvG (Post 9195438)
Like a magical handy dandy adapter device?

Darn. I was looking forward to a verdict regarding if the cat was an issue or not. Good luck !
​​​​​​

where to get adapters, or do i have to guess?? :goofy:

max ride 41 02-16-2019 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by User1 (Post 9195443)
Just out of curiosity, what were you mostly talking about with all 6500 of those posts you got?

excuse me? been a member since 06, figure it out einstein.

JvG 02-16-2019 11:39 PM

Since your intention is a simple short term test,
don't be shy about cheesy jerry rigging.

I've used steel soup cans back in the day, sheet metal, hose clamps, muffler bandages etc.

All you are looking for is whatever works for a little while. As long as the exhaust is not too loud, or breaks and drags on the pavement, it's all good.

max ride 41 02-17-2019 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by JvG (Post 9195458)
Since your intention is a simple short term test,
don't be shy about cheesy jerry rigging.

I've used steel soup cans back in the day, sheet metal, hose clamps, muffler bandages etc.

All you are looking for is whatever works for a little while. As long as the exhaust is not too loud, or breaks and drags on the pavement, it's all good.

right, i found a walker cat on car id for 127.00 and i'm picking it up after the initial test.

CS_AR 02-17-2019 07:46 AM

Are you running a WS-Y-Pipe? I learned a lesson about dropping a 3+ year-old Y-pipe down and rest on the driveway when I had the front on jack stands to remove the upper oil pan. So when an older flex pipe takes a sharper than normal bend, there is a risk that it will crack. The flex part of the pipe has been exposed to high heat for many years and loses its ability to flex like a new pipe. So after I put it all back together, then I develop a leak in the flex pipe. So from now on, I will handle the flex part with care if I need to do any work on the Y-pipe or contact areas. Meanwhile, I bought a new y-pipe to replace the pipe with a cracked flex pipe. I plan to take the old Y-pipe to a muffler shop to get the flex part fixed. Then I will keep it in stock for sometime in the future.
I can't imagine not running a WS Y-Pipe.

max ride 41 02-17-2019 08:38 AM

yes, and i already know that flex section is rusted and fragile. but, it's still on there pretty solid last time i looked at it. it's going up on a lift tomorrow to swap out the cat for a test.

ChrisMan287 02-17-2019 02:14 PM

Enjoy!

If you don’t have emissions just leave the test pipe.

Korza 02-19-2019 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9195476)
yes, and i already know that flex section is rusted and fragile. but, it's still on there pretty solid last time i looked at it. it's going up on a lift tomorrow to swap out the cat for a test.

Might be worth getting it checked, I've had 2 flex pipes go bad on mine.

I've been catless for 2 and a half years. Only issue is a bit of raspiness when the exhaust is cold. Fuel economy and performance are the same as before the cat was removed.