Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Which boots will work with Hitachi Ignition Coils (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/703708-boots-will-work-hitachi-ignition-coils.html)

someguy96maxima 02-20-2019 05:15 AM

Which boots will work with Hitachi Ignition Coils

Hi, new member here, I have a 96 MAXIMA GXE and looking to get new ignition coils, boots, and plugs. I am not sure what boots to get. I am planning on getting the Hitachi coils part numbers: IGC0012 & IGC0015 from Rockauto due to them being a reasonable price but when looking at a few of the different boots that I am interested in getting from Rockauto they say either use w/ Hanshin coil or use w/ Mitsubishi coil.
For example:
"NGK 58994 Info
FitsRight Bank (Cyls. 1,3,5); Use w/Mitsubishi Coil
OrLeft Bank (Cyls. 2,4,6); Use w/Mitsubishi Coil"
I assume this means these particular boots are to be used only with mitsubishi coils. None of the boots on Rockauto say use with Hitachi coils so which boots will work with the Hitachi coils??? Am I missing something? Am I having a stupid moment? Is this not kind of weird...
The Beck/Arnley boots do say multi-coil system; does that mean they will work with different types/brands of coils; specifically will they work with Hitachi coils?
Anyone know? Thoughts? Would greatly appreciate a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th opinion here :D

Thank you! https://maxima.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I posted this in the newbie thread just now and then after posting I read that the 15 post rule is no long in effect for new members so am posting it here in the main thread as the post stated. Hope that is alright. Thank you.

PH98I30 02-20-2019 08:16 AM

The boots should come with the coils. If not, you can detach the old boots and put them on a new coil. I have done this a couple of times.... as long as the boots are in good condition. I don't think the brand matters.

someguy96maxima 02-21-2019 11:49 PM

Thank you for the reply. :) I appreciate a 2nd opinion. Yeah I really don't think the brand of boot matters; as long as the boot and coil physically fit, connect to each other, don't see why or how they wouldn't work. Just found it interesting that some of the boots on rockauto say use with hanshin coil or use with mitsubishi coil or multi-coil system.

Going to clean my throttle body for first time (96 maxima 131xxx miles) and clean IACV too before I do the plugs/boots.

Thanks again.

PH98I30 02-22-2019 11:06 AM

The plugs and boots are easy. I keep spare coils in my trunk and install them on the fly, if a coil misfires while I am on the road. I am putting off doing your other two things until I have to do them. Right now my car is running like a champ, but I will need to do my cv axles soon.

someguy96maxima 02-22-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by PH98I30 (Post 9195899)
The plugs and boots are easy. I keep spare coils in my trunk and install them on the fly, if a coil misfires while I am on the road. I am putting off doing your other two things until I have to do them. Right now my car is running like a champ, but I will need to do my cv axles soon.

I concur, plugs and boots are ez pz; coils are too :) I would love to put off cleaning throttle body and IACV but I'm sure it's never been done and I'm at 130k and mpg has dropped significantly so hoping doing it will help *fingers crossed*. Never have done it before but doesn't seem hard just would rather put it off lol.

CV axles soon eh, going to do them yourself? How many miles and what year is your maxima?? I had a guy do my axles then later looked into it and realized it isn't too big of a job; it doesn't look like it is anyways. Kicking myself over the money I could have saved.

Cheers

PH98I30 02-22-2019 03:33 PM

I would normally do them myself, but my co-workers husband is an ASE Toyota and Nissan mechanic. He said he would do them for me at his home/shop garage with a big discount. I might go and watch over a beer. I have an I30, which is the Infiniti version of the Maxi. I just turned 168K on the original cv axles.

CMax03 03-04-2019 08:31 PM

Be sure to place some dielectric grease inside the boots so that the boot to spark plug engagement is sealed providing a hotter, more consistent spark and even if the spark plug tube fills up with oil it won't kill the cylinder...

someguy96maxima 03-05-2019 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03 (Post 9196775)
Be sure to place some dielectric grease inside the boots so that the boot to spark plug engagement is sealed providing a hotter, more consistent spark and even if the spark plug tube fills up with oil it won't kill the cylinder...

Thanks for the tip Cmax! I've heard and have known doing that is good but dang it I'm sure I didn't do it last time I did my plugs/boots; will be sure to do so this time! Thanks again for the pro tip!!! :) This is cool; don't have or know many people to talk to about this stuff; wealth of info on this forum and helpful to have some people to share ideas/experiences/expertise with. Thanks!

someguy96maxima 03-05-2019 09:13 PM

Btw PH98I30, the Hitachi coils I ordered from RockAuto came and yes they did come with boots! I was pleasantly surprised! The picture on their website showed the coils with boots on them but I was sure they wouldn't actually come with as it seems in general that everything pictured isn't always included lol. Glad I was wrong. Will keep the extra set of boots as not worth the shipping it would cost to return them. Got an extra pair of boots now. :) Waiting for dealer to get the throttle body and IACV gaskets I ordered then will clean the TB and IACV, probably clean the MAF sensor while I'm in there, then do the coils/boots/plugs, then check idle, run it 30-50 miles then an oil change. My Max actually idle's fine, is within spec 650-700 at idle but once in awhile she will idle rough and die at first start in the morning- seems to only happen in the colder weather but doesn't happen often at all. Not sure what I'm doing will help necessarily but it won't hurt I'm sure.