4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Catalysts 6 month road to redemption.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:32 PM

Catalysts 6 month road to redemption.

Hey guys, to preface I’ve deleted two other threads I’ve made because I keep making threads, and I feel wrong doing so, I have saved relative information that was given in those threads and will be looking at all of those in the future when I do need help.

This thread on the other hand is going to pull my multiple issues into one thread, without beating the dead horse I’ve searched items I need help with in hopes of not making people mad by not searching. On the other hand I took a look at my4dsc and saw that there was a meet going on in NY. Now I know this is an east coast meet and I live in the Midwest, but I want to make this thread into a large redemption of my 4th gen, in hopes that I’ll be finished atleast with a strong running maxima by the time the 6 months are up to drive my max all the way to this meet.

The poor thing has issues, it has its rust, it has its leaks, i was hoping this is okay to go forward with,to get feedback on things I need help with that I can’t easily find by searching and other items that I need some clarification with, I’m not an expert and I’m still learning but I’m determined that this is something I’d like to do. When I get home I’ll upload current pic and a list of issues I have and address the ones I need help with and what I’m currently working on fixing.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 PM

so, maybe wait until that point, and then start fresh thread, done.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
so, maybe wait until that point, and then start fresh thread, done.
Right, but I,m trying to avoid making multiple threads.
And I'm also trying to make this kind of a hey, here's where i started --> me running into multiple issues followed with feedback possibly --> final product
almost like a....restoration thread? maybe that's a bit crazy, to which i should say I'm sorry.
a lot of people on the 4th gen seem to have incredible cars, where-as here I'm starting with a base 97 SE with lots of issues that have one after another presented themselves and i just want to be where everyone else is haha, honestly I'm crazy at this point right?
Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 PM
JvG

You have a good approach.

You will need some tools, some money, and plenty of time.

Many of us started working on cars at an early age.
We all start somewhere.

Your car well teach you much.
You will need to use the Search function of th's forum

. There are many repairs photos, videos.

I always consider which repairs are needed.

I want to have a dependable car which I can drive an additional 150 k miles. I'd spend 1500 to 2000 in parts money well spent if car lasts 5 to 10 years.

If I had to drive a car for a ling time, it might as well be a fairly roomy family car. One with decent handling, good brakes. Powerfull engine.

Like the Maxima
Old 02-25-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
You have a good approach
This is all I needed to hear, an I appreciate it. All night I’ve been trying to figure out what I should focus on fixing first, and honestly it may be my coolant leak as that’s become top priority. I’ve been searching and I’ll update this as I see fit. Tomorrow morning I’m going to give my coolant another check and see where a possible leak spot may be under the car again.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:25 PM
JvG

Agree on fixing coolant leak. Because engine is at risk.

After that

1. Examine brakes. And steering.

Nice to be able to stop and steer.

2. Mechanical and electric repairs.

​​​​​​we prioritize. Important things first.

fun things later.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:43 AM

fun things later
you would think, i know i was lucky almost 14 years ago when i got my 95, water coolant sensor and front brakes was all she needed. o, and months and months to remove yellowed stains off of the glass and clean up the interior. started at 129,000, now, i'm at 293,000 and trust me wayyy too much money into a car that most people i know would've got rid of a long time ago. but, i got to liking this bm1 blue max and found this forum, and, 14 years later still have her. longest i've ever had a car.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
started at 129,000, now, i'm at 293,000
Very clean! Seems to have lasted a long while. I’ve taken a liking to the 95-96 front end, especially the grille. On top of mechanical issues the corners of my front end are rusted out and both quarter panels are so rotted on top I’ll eventually have to try and bondo the areas or just straight up replace them...
Old 02-26-2019, 09:44 AM
JvG

Maxride, I always look at how many years of use or joy I car might serve me. It costs money to mamain a car properly.

seems like your ridea ha's been driven 10k year for 14 years. I'm 1 year behind you.

Cheap transportaion for well over a decade.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Catalysts
Hey guys, to preface I’ve deleted two other threads I’ve made because I keep making threads, and I feel wrong doing so, I have saved relative information that was given in those threads and will be looking at all of those in the future when I do need help.
Lol that's great and all but now I can't reference the material I posted in those threads :P I wouldn't worry too much about housekeeping.

Search this Thread