Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Maxima R34 style Headlights a good buy? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/703801-maxima-r34-style-headlights-good-buy.html)

dbaray 03-02-2019 11:04 PM

Maxima R34 style Headlights a good buy?

Are these a good buy as far as light output and style? Just curious if these are better than the oem ones with a 9004 bulb. Dont plan to retrofit but use an LED in them.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....93333d742.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....c13a88649.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....97762d721.jpeg

CS_AR 03-03-2019 04:16 AM

I think it is all the same material -- with or without the bulbs. One of the lamps leaks on mine. I think I found a way to install some clear permatex sealant fill in the gap. Otherwise you need to break them open to reseal them. I had to buy some high distance bulbs from NAPA to compensate for the poor low beams. The high beams I use are technically illegal but I only run them on country roads where there are no street lights or other cars to blind. Since history on the site was deleted past October of 2018, I can't find the part numbers. They are kind of a mess, but they look good.

ChrisMan287 03-03-2019 06:35 AM

They look good but output is poor and so is fitment. You’re better off with stock headlights or OEM Cefiros but they take more modification to fit right.

CS_AR 03-03-2019 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 (Post 9196664)
They look good but output is poor and so is fitment. You’re better off with stock headlights or OEM Cefiros but they take more modification to fit right.

Well stated Chris. I had to use a hacksaw and some tin snips in a couple of places on the tabs to get the lights to mount up on my 99 model. Don't plan on this being a smooth installation for a 97-99 model. I can't speak for 95-96.

We had a hard rain last night that would normally cause the passenger side light to take on water. Apparently, the clear permatex RTV treatment around the top seam took care of that leak because the lights are dry in the inside today. I'm glad because I was now looking forward to removing the light assemblies to reseal them. In fact, I bought a 2nd set of R34 lights to reseal with Morimoto the butyl and keep in reserve in the event these lights start giving me problems I can replace them.
One thing to watch out for with these lights is there are some paper tape seals over the small blub hole on the side. The paper likes to disintegrate and leave specks of white paint flecks inside the bezel that impossible to get out without separating the lens from the black plastic body. This this is really noticeable with the black background models. I think I can wet the paper seal with something like kerosene to make it easier to remove on the next set so it will release without leaving specks of white material inside the light.

If I remember correctly I spent something over $100 or more for NAPA "long lights" for low beam and the blue Xenon high beam lights to perform. It took a strange combination of bulbs to get something to works. I ended up soaking a lot more money into getting "the look" that it was most likely worth.

I recently purchased a set of stock looking Eagle Eyes to replace the stock lights on the 98 model GLE. I immediately applied the clear RTV around the seams since it looks like those seams would give trouble and leak like the R34s. Many of us here apply clear RTV around the seams on the clear or smoked corner lights to prevent leaks. I started using clear on the corner lights before I installed them a few years ago. So far it works.

I guess the bottom line is any non-OEM "value priced' replacement lights will require some attention to keep them from leaking. So you pay for it one way or another. Also, some don't mind "high maintenance" to get the look.

dbaray 03-03-2019 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR (Post 9196667)
Well stated Chris. I had to use a hacksaw and some tin snips in a couple of places on the tabs to get the lights to mount up on my 99 model. Don't plan on this being a smooth installation for a 97-99 model. I can't speak for 95-96.

We had a hard rain last night that would normally cause the passenger side light to take on water. Apparently, the clear permatex RTV treatment around the top seam took care of that leak because the lights are dry in the inside today. I'm glad because I was now looking forward to removing the light assemblies to reseal them. In fact, I bought a 2nd set of R34 lights to reseal with Morimoto the butyl and keep in reserve in the event these lights start giving me problems I can replace them.
One thing to watch out for with these lights is there are some paper tape seals over the small blub hole on the side. The paper likes to disintegrate and leave specks of white paint flecks inside the bezel that impossible to get out without separating the lens from the black plastic body. This this is really noticeable with the black background models. I think I can wet the paper seal with something like kerosene to make it easier to remove on the next set so it will release without leaving specks of white material inside the light.

If I remember correctly I spent something over $100 or more for NAPA "long lights" for low beam and the blue Xenon high beam lights to perform. It took a strange combination of bulbs to get something to works. I ended up soaking a lot more money into getting "the look" that it was most likely worth.

I recently purchased a set of stock looking Eagle Eyes to replace the stock lights on the 98 model GLE. I immediately applied the clear RTV around the seams since it looks like those seams would give trouble and leak like the R34s. Many of us here apply clear RTV around the seams on the clear or smoked corner lights to prevent leaks. I started using clear on the corner lights before I installed them a few years ago. So far it works.

I guess the bottom line is any non-OEM "value priced' replacement lights will require some attention to keep them from leaking. So you pay for it one way or another. Also, some don't mind "high maintenance" to get the look.

I see. And I remember someone told me they once made them with brackets, the R34 style headlights. That was to make a better fitment. Interesting to know seems like i am better off with the original stock headlights. Ill see what i do actually thanx for the information.

The Wizard 03-04-2019 11:48 AM

All my pairs of R34's fit perfectly. Light output was crap, so they were retrofitted.

ChrisMan287 03-04-2019 12:08 PM

These new batches are made extremely cheaply.. Poorly made, poorly fitting and stillll have the ****ty output.

dbaray 03-04-2019 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 9196720)
All my pairs of R34's fit perfectly. Light output was crap, so they were retrofitted.

good to know Wiz 👍🏼

dbaray 03-04-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 (Post 9196723)
These new batches are made extremely cheaply.. Poorly made, poorly fitting and stillll have the ****ty output.

so i guess im just good with the original oem ones then 🤕

ChrisMan287 03-04-2019 12:43 PM

There are some black housing stock style lights available that would be decent if you need something new. They come with matching corner lights as well. Check ebay.

dbaray 03-04-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 (Post 9196731)
There are some black housing stock style lights available that would be decent if you need something new. They come with matching corner lights as well. Check ebay.

if possible can u send a link. I will be repainting the car pearl white on the 16th so I actually liked the clear look. Ha but yea if u could send the link!

ChrisMan287 03-04-2019 01:56 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-97-99-N...temCondition=3

dbaray 03-04-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 (Post 9196736)

oh wow thats nice. So its the same as the original ones i have? Just colored black a little.

Violator 03-04-2019 02:55 PM

Had 2 different pairs from eBay in the last 2years (different batches/Chinese manufacturers, very slight differences such as the corners on one set had a reflector and the other one was just plain black) on 2 different 97-99 cars. They were very easy installs and fit like gloves.

Personally I always liked the black style more than the clear. And the light output is not going to be good because of the reflection pattern, which is concerning if you live in an area with deer. I retrofitted mine for the look of the halos and the outstanding light quality.

The rtv is gonna be a good idea, the seal between the housing and lens isn't very good and will let moisture in.

dbaray 03-04-2019 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Violator (Post 9196742)
Had 2 different pairs from eBay in the last 2years (different batches/Chinese manufacturers, very slight differences such as the corners on one set had a reflector and the other one was just plain black) on 2 different 97-99 cars. They were very easy installs and fit like gloves.

Personally I always liked the black style more than the clear. And the light output is not going to be good because of the reflection pattern, which is concerning if you live in an area with deer. I retrofitted mine for the look of the halos and the outstanding light quality.

The rtv is gonna be a good idea, the seal between the housing and lens isn't very good and will let moisture in.

yea here its pretty dark here haha i do a lot of night driving. But those clear lens are beautiful. I like the black houing too. I think it goes better with a black car rather than a white car imo tho

Violator 03-04-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dbaray (Post 9196745)

yea here its pretty dark here haha i do a lot of night driving. But those clear lens are beautiful. I like the black houing too. I think it goes better with a black car rather than a white car imo tho

I still like the look idk if you've seen one but here's one I found
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....616cff44d6.jpg

CS_AR 03-04-2019 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Violator (Post 9196749)
I still like the look idk if you've seen one but here's one I found
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....616cff44d6.jpg

I think I'm running similar blue blubs for the high beam.

If I had it to over again, I would find a way to paint the white bulb socket for the corner lights black. It stands out like a sore thumb.

You can see it in this picture.

https://i286.photobucket.com/albums/...Model_Side.jpg

dbaray 03-04-2019 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR (Post 9196751)
I think I'm running similar blue blubs for the high beam.

If I had it to over again, I would find a way to paint the white bulb socket for the corner lights black. It stands out like a sore thumb.

You can see it in this picture.

https://i286.photobucket.com/albums/...Model_Side.jpg

they both look good. Yea the style does look nicee

JoshG 03-04-2019 11:02 PM

Honestly, for the looks, it gives the front end a nice finish. I don't drive the maxi much at night, but if I do, the light output isn't the best but you can still drive and see at night. They're cheap anyways these days and if you have faded headlights, this will make the car look more refreshed.

dbaray 03-05-2019 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG (Post 9196782)
Honestly, for the looks, it gives the front end a nice finish. I don't drive the maxi much at night, but if I do, the light output isn't the best but you can still drive and see at night. They're cheap anyways these days and if you have faded headlights, this will make the car look more refreshed.

ikw! The look is clean when the car is white.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....2baac76f6c.png

Shrout1 03-05-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR (Post 9196657)
Since history on the site was deleted past October of 2018, I can't find the part numbers.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but what happened? I know they switched to a new front end; guessing the back end changed too. I only noticed the history issue recently.

Are there any threads in the main chat about the transition? I've spent a couple minutes looking but haven't really dug in.

dbaray 03-05-2019 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shrout1 (Post 9196850)
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what happened? I know they switched to a new front end; guessing the back end changed too. I only noticed the history issue recently.

Are there any threads in the main chat about the transition? I've spent a couple minutes looking but haven't really dug in.

i tried looking for a thread on this but i couldnt find much really. Maybe i didnt look right so i just put this one up lol

Shrout1 03-06-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by dbaray (Post 9196862)

i tried looking for a thread on this but i couldnt find much really. Maybe i didnt look right so i just put this one up lol

Lol! Probably all the threads about it were before the switch so you can't find them anymore :D

dbaray 03-06-2019 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shrout1 (Post 9196929)
Lol! Probably all the threads about it were before the switch so you can't find them anymore :D

lol well if i ever get them ill post it here and see how it goes