Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Headlights not working! (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/703853-headlights-not-working.html)

Sharon Raines 03-07-2019 10:51 PM

Headlights not working!

I noticed my battery light come on then go off but so did my headlights. No codes checked fuses still no headlights. ALSO temp gauge always reading hot changed sensor but still reading hot. Doesn't act like it's overheating I've been driving it months now like that... Don't want to blow up my Brandy!! HELP!

KP11520 03-08-2019 11:42 AM

Sounds like something not straight forward.

Do the high beams still work?

Sharon Raines 03-08-2019 12:48 PM

No headlights at all.

KP11520 03-08-2019 01:32 PM

Sounds like you checked both 15 amp fuses #s 53 & 54, and they're good.

Sorry to say this is probably the light switch itself, and/or wiring that also affects the other problems you mentioned.

Are you comfortable with removing the switch and replacing it with either a new one or used one from a used auto parts place or junk yard?

I'm not sure what year Brandy was born or if she has Fog Lights too, but there might be two switch choices, one with fog lights and one without. Look into that and get the right one.

The temp thing has me suspect and I'd hate you having to buy a switch and install it to find out it's wiring somewhere else. The FSM that's downloadable has a wiring diagram for the headlight setup and with a DMM, you could verify if the power is getting to the plug that goes into the switch. If it is, it's most likely the switch.

Here is a video on replacing the swich. Not difficult really. Maybe it will somehow be linked to the temp gauge too. But then again, maybe it will fix the headlights and the temp light is another problem.Or it's not the switch and it's wiring.

Hope this helps!

Sharon Raines 03-08-2019 08:03 PM

I found a spot on my negative battery that is worn real bad showing almost 1/4 of an inch of wire underneath the battery tray where a clamp is holding it down. This can't be good. I ran out of daylight so back at it tomorrow. I do believe it sparked from there once about a week ago but everything still working until two nights ago. Could this be the problem? Or part of the problem?

KP11520 03-08-2019 09:43 PM

Pictures always help as does model year, mileage, overall condition, history you know about the car, where it's located now and maybe before it it was different weather and so on.

I'm not quite understanding what you mean by worn on the negative battery? Do you mean the cable? Usually, the negative cable if exposed won't spark on most anywhere as the whole car (mostly) is ground. The positive cable (red) would cause a spark rubbing on most of the car. And unless it burned out a fuse, it shouldn't have an effect if not sparking/shorting now.

I'm thinking you have multiple things going on at the same time and we need an answer to what I proposed above.You skipped that. Forums need feedback to what they propose so they can walk you down the path to success. Help us to help you!

Sharon Raines 03-09-2019 11:53 AM

Brandy was born in 1999 I bought her locally from a friend she needed work when I got her. I don't have the money for the 100.00 part right now so I guess I'm dead in the water for now.

CS_AR 03-09-2019 11:57 AM

How old is your battery? I've experienced shorted batteries that wreak all kinds of electrical system havoc in some of the strangest ways -- including shortening the life of an alternator and starter. Of course, the parts store that tested the suspect battery reported all is good. All of my problems occurred with batteries that were over 3 years old.

Sharon Raines 03-10-2019 12:09 PM

Headlights not working

I noticed even driving around during the day the battery light flickers off and on does that sound like the alternator? It did spark once down by the negative cable and fuse box on the driver's side where that cable comes off for the positive to the fuse box I don't know what that was but when that happened is when my service engine soon light came on then you drove fine tell me a couple days ago when the battery light flicker it again and then the headlights went out I hope this helps you help me thank you