4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Questionable ignition coil firing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Questionable ignition coil firing.

I've looked at as many threads as I could before making a post. I am relatively new to this forum and I bought my first 98 maxima with a manual 5 speed on the 11th of October. The engine ran like a top on the way home until about an hour and thirty minutes the service engine soon light starts flashing. I was close to home and was praying it would make it. The next day I scanned to see what codes would come up. First code was a P0174. (Bank 2 is too lean). The other code was a P0305. Cylinder 5 is misfiring. The car bucks at low rpms and smooths out at higher rpms.I read up it could be an ignition coil so I bought just 1 and a spark plug to see if it will fix. It ran good for about 2 minutes and then boom. Cylinder 5 isn't firing. It sounds like crap listening to the exhaust. I pulled cylinder 5 coil pack with the engine running and its sparking from the ignition coil. I drop it half way into the cylinder head and it runs like it should for maybe half a minute until it starts misfiring again. I even pluged the old ignition coil into the connector and connected it to the plug to see if it changes at all and still no avail. I was told when I bought it it needs 02 sensors. I'm not sure if it needs one or all of them but I'm losing patience. Seems like the ignition coil fires like it should whenever I set the coil down into the cylinder and let it sit there rather than connect it to the plug and screw it into place. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time and any advice that comes to this thread.

Edit: Not sure if this helps but my tachometer just kinda sits at 3k RPMs and doesn't really move when I'm driving.

Last edited by Nissan4; 10-16-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:29 PM

From the sticky,
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ere-first.html

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0210 points to a problem with the fuel injection system. When the engine management system is running in closed-loop mode the Engine Control Unit (the computer) makes continual adjustments to maintain the air-fuel ratio near the ideal point. To achieve this it relies on signals from many sensors including the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the Oxygen Sensors.

This malfunction is detected when the ECM finds that it cannot properly control the air/fuel mixture, and the mixture is too lean (too much air). DTC 0210 indicates this problem exists on the left bank (the front bank, cylinders 2, 4, and 6). Possible causes include ...
- Intake air leaks
- Front Oxygen Sensor
- one or more fuel injectors on the front bank
- exhaust gas leaks
- incorrect fuel pressure
- lack of fuel
- Mass Air Flow Sensor

The fact your car died while on the road makes me think one of these components failed mid-drive. I don't think its the MAF sensor, since only one bank is running lean.
My money is on the injectors. Have you considered inspecting/replacing your fuel injectors? You could DIY it since they are fairly accesible

Last edited by aq12; 10-16-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The car never died on me mid drive. The service engine soon light started flashing mid drive indicating a missfire and that I should pull over but in my current situation I could not. It never flashed constantly, only intermittently. I'm going to try to swap plugs and coils from cylinder 1 to cylinder 5 to see if the misfire moves.