Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   ***The Official Horse Power Thread *** (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/74474-official-horse-power-thread.html)

meccanoble 02-27-2002 03:14 PM

***The Official Horse Power Thread ***

ok, u guys are gonna hate me for doing this but a lot of us have questions and instead of having to do this search CRAP which takes forever, i say we just make on big thread that has everything to do wit what horsepower is added to your car wit every modification...good idea right?

ok, now we all know Y-pipe's and CAI give u extra horse power, say 7 to 20 right? i hear a lot of people saying that even though u get this added hp, your beginning speed is dropped, meaning u don't take off in the beginning as fast as u used to? but i guess it pays off at the end when u are accelerating faster than before once u get started? is this true?

also, exhaust systems (b-pipe, muffler, all that good stuff that i know nothing about) how much hp are we talking and is it worth the price of buying all this stuff? Someone preach!

Jeff92se 02-27-2002 03:18 PM

Can I ask you a question? You don't want to be troubled to use SEARCH but you want to trouble everyone else by asking them to type?

I guess for the newer guys that haven't typed this info about 20 times, go ahead. :)

clee130 02-27-2002 03:20 PM

Re: ***The Official Horse Power Thread ***

Originally posted by meccanoble
I NEED ANSWERS! I DON'T FEEL LIKE USING SEARCH! I WANT YOU TO GIVE THEM TO ME NOW! NOW! I DEMAND ANSWERS!

Jeff92se 02-27-2002 03:29 PM

Damn! Someone get a priest! Bill has possesed Clee! http://216.40.201.155/s/cwm/big/retard.gif

meccanoble 02-27-2002 03:36 PM

guys, i'm sorry....just thought this would be easier on everyone...i mean, how hard is it to say "10 hp from exhaust" especially if u already know...

a lot of u should be proud that you had this extra gain and this is the modest way of posting the wonderful upgrades on your car without sounding like a little...u know...:)

clee130 02-27-2002 03:40 PM

exhausts will give you 1-2 hp if you're lucky.

And answer you would have found if you had used the search.

Jeff92se 02-27-2002 03:42 PM

I thought most here would avoid looking like a total rookie by asking about basic power mods that are constantly be discussed everyday. So please excuse me for sounding like a little..... because it's better than looking like a big....u know. :)

a lot of u should be proud that you had this extra gain and this is the modest way of posting the wonderful upgrades on your car without sounding like a little...u know...:)

meccanoble 02-27-2002 03:51 PM

lol

touche jeff

i see this brilliant idea of mine has come to a devestating end...can't compete wit two moderators...lol...but i'll be back, just u watch! :)

Jeff92se 02-27-2002 03:53 PM

In this forum, I'm just a member like yourself. Just trying to help you out :)

lol

touche jeff

i see this brilliant idea of mine has come to a devestating end...can't compete wit two moderators...lol...but i'll be back, just u watch! :)

mzmtg 02-27-2002 06:30 PM

lol

touche jeff

Stop typing "wit" when you mean "with."

Please use complete sentences.

Please ask a moderator nicely to set up a thread like this.

Please don't call search (the most useful function of this forum system) "crap."

You won't be back if you don't cooperate.

Please use search to learn about how these mods work the way they do.

That is all.

Sprint 02-27-2002 06:35 PM

this one is getting out of hand.. i am closing this one up..

mzmtg 02-27-2002 06:39 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
this one is getting out of hand.. i am closing this one up..
Good call.

bill99gxe 02-27-2002 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Damn! Someone get a priest! Bill has possesed Clee!

:o

You're next, Jeff. :D

meccanoble 02-27-2002 07:35 PM

was taht a threat mzmtg?! I'm not a trouble maker but if u want a war.....joke

I can't use 'wit' anymore?! whatever happened to freedom of speech! I'm just trying to save time...i'll ask a manager to set this up next time though...wow, so many moderators in here, who's like the Grand Kai Moderator???? who set this board up anyway? Must shake their hand on a good job :)

RedMax95 02-27-2002 08:56 PM

you have to take into account that there is no exact hp level for every car, no two cars are completely identical, that is the mileage, condition, driving style could all affect the way the car runs, if your car has been mistreated and is dirty inside the engine(carbon buildup), you may not get as much hp as a well maintained car, if you are hard on your tranny it may be weaker than one that has been carefully treated, creating a drivetrain loss of power, also other mods affect the amount of horsepower a mod gives you, could say a ypipe gives you a mean of 12hp, but if i had a cai it could be giving me 15, that could happen with any combo of mods

meccanoble 02-27-2002 09:59 PM

so how do u get rid of that "carbon build up?" is that what they fix when u go for a tune up? Like if i want to clean this, what am i asking for when i go to a shop or to a mechanic?

Y2KevSE 02-27-2002 10:38 PM

wow, so many moderators in here, who's like the Grand Kai Moderator???
You called? :o

iansw 02-27-2002 11:04 PM

macca,

I've been telling you to use search for weeks.
You should start using it. If you do a search and still can't find the answer, post. If you think people will slam you, say:

"I did a search, but couldn't find an answer...I have a question about..."

People will then be MUCh nicer to you.

If you had done a search you would know that noone appears to get the same hp increase from any mod.

It depends on many, many factors. Up to and including altitude, weather, pollutants in the air, cycle of the moon, and where Bin Laden is currently hiding.

Everyone will only tell you a range.

Air Intake, 1-5hp
Y-Pipe, 12-18hp

etc...etc.

bill99gxe 02-28-2002 06:07 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

You called? :o

:rolleyes:

Y2KevSE 02-28-2002 06:44 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

:rolleyes:

Jealous? :o

BEJAY1 02-28-2002 07:21 AM

Mod list

I personally like Cheston's list over at maximadriver.com

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/maxmods.html

Maybe we could sticky that in the future?

mzmtg 02-28-2002 07:38 AM

Re: Mod list

Originally posted by BEJAY1
I personally like Cheston's list over at maximadriver.com

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/~cheston/maxmods.html

Maybe we could sticky that in the future?

That's a good list, but it needs to be updated. Perhaps I will post it in the FAQ...