4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Caution about using Zymol wax:

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Licensed to Spell

Caution about using Zymol wax:

I want to share my not-so-good experience using Zymol with you guys to hopefully save anyone else from making the mistake I did. A little while ago I was getting my ground effects and a few other things repainted under warranty. Some things matched but were chipping, some were fine but didn't quite match. Anyway, in order to continue driving my car while they painted the parts, I removed my gas cap to give to them for matching purposes. So I had the Einsteinian idea to wash and wax it while it was off the car so I can give them a nice, clean shiny gas cover, right? I decided to use some Zymol wax I had purchased months prior but never used. I bought it soly because it was the most expensive wax in the store, for no other reason (and I'll admit is smelled awesome!). Don't laugh at me but it kind of bothered me to put a blue wax on my white car. I had always used white wax/polish before. In my head, I imagined it slightly tinting my paint blue. Well, guess what? My 'crazy thought' came true. I applied the wax. I was waiting the few minutes the instructions call for before wiping/buffing the wax off when a friend pulled up and asked if I wanted to go out. I ended up leaving the wax on the cas cover for about 20 hours. When I wiped off the Zymol the next day my jaw dropped to the ground. My white paint was stained bluish/purplish. I was soooo ****ed. I tried everything to get it off - nothing. I was so bummed. So now I had to ask my painter to paint my gas cap as well! lol. Luckily my mom used one of those 'mom-made' formulas she read about in one of those 'mom magazines' and it worked! Even then it took her soaking it for hours and she had to repeat the process several times. I was sooo releived. Could you imagine if I had done the whole car?! Anyway, I'm not dissing Zymol, it was clearly my fault. The instructions tell you to do a section at a time and to only wait for it to dry to a haze before buffing. So the moral is if you use Zymol, DON'T let it sit on your paint for any length of time before you buff it off.
Old 04-26-2002, 06:39 PM

dish washing soap didnt work ???????
Old 04-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
dish washing soap didnt work ???????
Trust me emerald, I tried EVERYTHING. From trying to wax it again with Zymol to alcohol to 409 to gasoline. Nothing worked.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed

Trust me emerald, I tried EVERYTHING. From trying to wax it again with Zymol to alcohol to 409 to gasoline. Nothing worked.
dishwashing soap(dawn) should work. Chemically its very harsh to wax, so give it a few tries, it should come out. Dont make a habit of this soap tho
Old 04-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by Mad Dhan

dishwashing soap(dawn) should work. Chemically its very harsh to wax, so give it a few tries, it should come out. Dont make a habit of this soap tho

A.) This was months ago.

B.) I already got the stain out, as stated above.

C.) I already said dishwashing soap didn't work.

Old 04-26-2002, 08:17 PM

Are you stupid? you left it on for 20 hours??? Hello? STUPID!!!! Do you not care about your car? McFly???? You tried gasoline to get it off after you were stupid enough to leave it on for 20 hours and you ***** about the wax? You're lucky that you still have paint you **** knocker! And then on top of everything you actually post this? Dumba$$!!! Zymol is great wax, but user error is a b!tch eh???
Old 04-26-2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by JdawgX
Are you stupid? you left it on for 20 hours??? Hello? STUPID!!!! Do you not care about your car? McFly???? You tried gasoline to get it off after you were stupid enough to leave it on for 20 hours and you ***** about the wax? You're lucky that you still have paint you **** knocker! And then on top of everything you actually post this? Dumba$$!!! Zymol is great wax, but user error is a b!tch eh???
wow ...such love being expressed
but yeah, i still don't quite see how you can forget about the wax being on there...but i guess mistakes do happen...good thing you were able to eventually get it off though
Old 04-26-2002, 08:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

A.) This was months ago.

B.) I already got the stain out, as stated above.

C.) I already said dishwashing soap didn't work.

i read half ur post cause i dunno, i didnt feel like reading th rest. ah well. Glad u got it out.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:33 PM

Chill with your attitude man! I mean really, is all that noise necessary? He made a mistake.

ptatohed, Zymol does suck *****. Try 3M rubbing compound and finish restorer to correct the problem.

http://products.mmm.com/us/auto_mari...gvGSRKGRPJV4gl

Next time use Meguiare's.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:24 AM

in the future i wouldn't use gas on your paint often. maybe paint thinner, acetone or navel jelly (joke). glad you got the stain out.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:53 AM

zymol does suck. theres plenty of cheper stuff thats better. i did the same thing and bought it cuz it was expensive so i figured it had to be good. boy was i wrong
Old 04-27-2002, 10:00 AM

I hope your Joking calling him out of his name!!!

Josh you never ever leave any wax on the car for an extended period of time. Thats a good wax but you are suppose to wipe off the car like 2-5 mins after you apply it. It states on the bottle to work one area at a time and wipe off. So dont do that again.
Old 04-27-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

I hope your Joking calling him out of his name!!!

Josh you never ever leave any wax on the car for an extended period of time. Thats a good wax but you are suppose to wipe off the car like 2-5 mins after you apply it. It states on the bottle to work one area at a time and wipe off. So dont do that again.
Shame on you. That was very naughty!
Old 04-28-2002, 09:05 PM
Licensed to Spell

You know, when I read this, I couldn't tell if you were kidding or serious. I really hope you are kidding but somehow I think your not. What's wrong with you man? Totally uncalled for and out of line. What's with the name calling? What are you accomplishing by posting such a nasty message? Making yourself feel better? Because you aren't stupid and I am, right? Because you didn't leave wax on your car for 20 hours and I did. I guess you have never made a mistake that you regret, huh? But I did. Because you are smart and I am a stupid, **** knocker, dumb@ss. "And then on top of everything you actually post this?". On top of 'everything'? What is 'everything'? Yes, I posted this after I made a mistake. Why? Why would I start a whole thread to embarrass myself? Why? Why don't you think about why I would do that. To see my name on the screen as 'thread starter' and feel warm and fuzzy inside? To increase my post count? To get harrassed by people like you? No. I did it for one purpose and one purpose only. To save anyone else from making the same mistake (yes mistake) that I did. Simple as that. And then I get cr@p from people like you for doing so. I must be one of the slowest typers in the world so it took me probably 20 minutes to type what I did. Do you not think I would have rather left work 20 minutes earlier on a Friday night? I did it for you guys. If I save just one person of the 300+ people who read this thread from making the mistake I did, it was all worth it to me. But then there are people like you who make wonder why I do spend time writing stuff that I think will help others.

I thank Deezo and Jay for defending me and calling jdawg out of line.
Old 04-28-2002, 10:38 PM
Banned

Definitely out of line! The man is trying to help us out here. I use Zymol wax, and Ive never had any problems with it but now I know to be especailly careful with removal, If you miss a spot and dont catch it until the next day you may end up with an unwanted blue racing stripe! Thanks for the heads up ptatohed....

Warbucks
Old 04-29-2002, 05:37 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Caution about using Zymol wax:

I applied the wax. I was waiting the few minutes the instructions call for before wiping/buffing the wax off when a friend pulled up and asked if I wanted to go out. I ended up leaving the wax on the cas cover for about 20 hours.
It's your own fault, next time follow the directions.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:47 AM

Re: Re: Caution about using Zymol wax:

I think he knows it was his own fault and that's why he's warning us.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Old 04-29-2002, 07:32 AM

Hey ptato, sometimes its not even worth tryin to help people. Ya just get a lot of stupid replies. By the way, how puple was it? Did it look really bad? I bet if it happened to the whole car it would only last a few weeks at most till the weather removed it. Give it a try and you'll have a custom color.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:08 AM

Good 'ol Mom to the rescue, huh? Glad you got it out man, that must have been scary.

You know, a lot of professional restorers apply a coat of wax when the put the car away for the winter, and buff it off in the spring. I've personally kept some Turtle wax on my car for over a week and it came out just fine with an orbital buffer. But, those colored waxes with perfumes and coloring in it....man, watch out!
Old 04-29-2002, 09:17 AM

not to make you look foolish (you're already taken care of that) but didn't you know that you can't leave wax on your car for long? that's like the most basic rule of cleaning
Old 04-29-2002, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by theblue
not to make you look foolish (you're already taken care of that) but didn't you know that you can't leave wax on your car for long? that's like the most basic rule of cleaning
Live and learn I guess.

SuDZ
Old 04-29-2002, 10:40 AM

calm yourself, let's not jump on the hatin' bandwagon just yet. It's just wax anyway, atleast he had a life for 20 hours while the wax was on there instead of complaining about it for 20 minutes (like others using bad language) he helped me out! I like the cheap stuff too sometimes.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:32 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Caution about using Zymol wax:

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Wow, thanks njmax!!!!
Old 04-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by theblue

No I didn't know that! Thanks blue!!!

Why don't you read the original thread carefully before posting? Because now you look like the fool! If you had read it, you would see I did read the instructions, had every intention of following them but ... got distracted. A mistake (look up mistake in the dictionary).

P.s. The "like most basic rule" in replying to threads is to read them completely before posting.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:48 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally posted by maximus75
Hey ptato, sometimes its not even worth tryin to help people. Ya just get a lot of stupid replies. By the way, how puple was it? Did it look really bad? I bet if it happened to the whole car it would only last a few weeks at most till the weather removed it. Give it a try and you'll have a custom color.

Hey maximus. Yeah, I'm starting to see what you mean by not worth helping people. Unfortunately. Yes, many stupid replies.

It was very purple. But not uniform. Kind of like a swirl pattern and some parts darker than others.

That's an idea! Custom paint color.

Have a great day, I'll talk to you later.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:51 PM

Okay, here's the deal: i was kidding in the name calling, but not the point I was making. The only reason that I said anything is this: You admit that you made a mistake, and then you blame the wax company for YOUR mistake and tell people not to use it! It's great wax, you just had a bad experiance due to user error. So blaming the wax company is NOT the answer. Again, sorry for any confusion regarding the names, that was in jest. You just might want to place the blame elsewhere for your mistakes, that's all. Glad to hear that you got it off. A blue tinited white Max would look.... umm.... different???
Old 04-29-2002, 03:19 PM
Licensed to Spell

Okay, here's the deal: i was kidding in the name calling, but not the point I was making. The only reason that I said anything is this: You admit that you made a mistake, and then you blame the wax company for YOUR mistake and tell people not to use it! It's great wax, you just had a bad experiance due to user error. So blaming the wax company is NOT the answer. Again, sorry for any confusion regarding the names, that was in jest. You just might want to place the blame elsewhere for your mistakes, that's all. Glad to hear that you got it off. A blue tinited white Max would look.... umm.... different???

I appreciate the appology, thank you. But I had to laugh when I read this! What are you talking about man?! I CLEARLY took all responsibility, and not once talked bad about Zymol and not once told others not to use it. Where are you getting this?! Because I NEVER said any of that. In fact, the opposite! I went out of my way to state I wasn't dissing Zymol and that it was my error. And I never told others not to buy it, just to be careful when using it. Try reading the original thread one more time man.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Banned

Re: Caution about using Zymol wax:

...Anyway, I'm not dissing Zymol, it was clearly my fault. The instructions tell you to do a section at a time and to only wait for it to dry to a haze before buffing. So the moral is if you use Zymol, DON'T let it sit on your paint for any length of time before you buff it off.
JdawgX,
He wasnt talking bad about Zymol, other members voiced their opinions on it but he specifically said it was his mistake not the wax...get some glasses chief!

Warbucks
Old 04-29-2002, 03:22 PM

Re: :o)

I CLEARLY took all responsibility, and not once talked bad about Zymol and not once told others not to use it. Where are you getting this?! Because I NEVER said any of that.
Look at the title of your thread "Caution about using Zymol Wax" That's where I got it. I wasn't trying to be rude, but that to me says that you're warning people not to use it. That's all, if that wasn't your intention, sorry about that. That's just how it came across to me.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Look at the title of your thread "Caution about using Zymol Wax" That's where I got it. I wasn't trying to be rude, but that to me says that you're warning people not to use it. That's all, if that wasn't your intention, sorry about that. That's just how it came across to me.

Oh man, you're really stretching it now. Nice try. lol. Once again, had you read, you would have seen the following. And I qoute myslef:

"Anyway, I'm not dissing Zymol, it was clearly my fault. The instructions tell you to do a section at a time and to only wait for it to dry to a haze before buffing. So the moral is if you use Zymol, DON'T let it sit on your paint for any length of time before you buff it off."

Now how is that not taking rsponsibility, blaming Zymol and telling others not to buy Zymol? You kill me. Nice try. 'Caution using..' means just that. Have caution when using Zymol. That's all.
Old 04-30-2002, 07:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: :o)

'Caution using..' means just that. Have caution when using Zymol. That's all.
Okay, last time. Why should you have caution using it if you follow the directions??? Not trying to be a ****, but if you do what the freaking bottle tells you to then you wouldn't have that problem. So are you saying "Caution if you can't read a bottle"?
Old 04-30-2002, 10:30 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Okay, last time. Why should you have caution using it if you follow the directions??? Not trying to be a ****, but if you do what the freaking bottle tells you to then you wouldn't have that problem. So are you saying "Caution if you can't read a bottle"?

LOL, LOL, LOL. You are talking to me about not reading? A little hypocrytical of you, no? And very ironic. Thanks for the laugh. (And real smooth subject-change and avoiding my questions )

Dude, just stop. If you don't have anything nice to say, or anything that helps support the original thread, then please, for the sake of everyone, stop posting. You've said what you think (I don't think anyone really cares) so you're done. This thread wasn't meant for ungrateful, rude people like yourself.

You just don't get it, do you? 'Cuation' means, just that, 'caution' (look it up at dictionary.com). The bottle doesn't tell you it stains your paint if left on. I was just cautioning people. Relax. d_warbucks brought up a good point about accidentally leaving some wax on after buffing and str8ridin brought up a good point about some people leaving wax on their cars on purpose. I was just trying to help, something you wouldn't understand.

Anyway, have a nice day.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

I was just trying to help, something you wouldn't understand.

Yes, I obviously wouldn't understand would I? I'm the one who's always poting "Use the search function" to all the newbies asking good questions. Yep, that's me! I try to be helpful whenever I can. Sorry that I misunderstood you about the whole "caution" thing. And the word caustion is defined as:

Careful forethought to avoid danger or harm.
Close attention or vigilance to minimize risk

That's straight from your little dictionary.com. Hmmm.... You don't seem to have used much caution did you?

Ungrateful and rude huh? Well, to each there own. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I suppose. Sorry you feel that way, but if you check with any local car clubs here in COlorado you'll find that I take a very active roll in them and am always the first one to lend a helping hand. I'd do the same in the local Max club if anyone gave a crap about it enough to show up to meets! But I guess as opposed to looking into the subject, you just write me off as "ungrateful and rude". Nothing to be grateful for regarding this thread as far as I'm concerned. And rude? Maybe I came across taht way, but you pretty much brought it on yourself man. I didn't leave the wax on MY car, you did.

Bring on the flames and have a great day!
Old 04-30-2002, 11:15 AM

Ptatohead...it is not even worth responding to these flamers anymore. I was considering trying Zymol wax. If I do get around to it, I thank you for the warning. I understand that it says to wipe it off after a few minutes, but without your warning, I don't think that anyone else would have thought that by leaving it on that it would damage their paint! I know everyone here must have at one time or another forgot to wipe ALL the wax out of where two panels meet or around emblems. (I know 12 posts will come up with people saying "I NEVER miss a single spot", but come on guys...we're all human.) And now if we do that we know that we may damage our paint.
Thanks for the heads up man.
And to all the haters out there, keep those coments to yourselves. He has admitted a mistake, learned from it, and is trying to keep anyone else from doing the same thing.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Yes, I obviously wouldn't understand would I? I'm the one who's always poting "Use the search function" to all the newbies asking good questions. Yep, that's me! I try to be helpful whenever I can. Sorry that I misunderstood you about the whole "caution" thing. And the word caustion is defined as:

Careful forethought to avoid danger or harm.
Close attention or vigilance to minimize risk

That's straight from your little dictionary.com. Hmmm.... You don't seem to have used much caution did you?

Ungrateful and rude huh? Well, to each there own. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I suppose. Sorry you feel that way, but if you check with any local car clubs here in COlorado you'll find that I take a very active roll in them and am always the first one to lend a helping hand. I'd do the same in the local Max club if anyone gave a crap about it enough to show up to meets! But I guess as opposed to looking into the subject, you just write me off as "ungrateful and rude". Nothing to be grateful for regarding this thread as far as I'm concerned. And rude? Maybe I came across taht way, but you pretty much brought it on yourself man. I didn't leave the wax on MY car, you did.

Bring on the flames and have a great day!
Old 05-04-2002, 03:37 PM
Licensed to Spell

How old are you jDOGx?
Old 05-04-2002, 05:10 PM

This thread is funny, keep it up.

Thanks for the info Ptatohead, I normally use turtlewax under the bra I have on my car, leave a nice good haze before I put it on to prevent scratches (works great). I recently bought some Zymol and am glad I didn't try that one :P
Old 05-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Ptatohed,
Thanks for the advice man. When I was younger I used Turtlewax as well as other white waxes on my car and left it on for hours and hours, and never had any problems. If I bought Zymol tomorrow, I would read the instructions like you did, and if I didn't see any disclaimers or cautions against over exposure, I just might possibly intentionally leave the wax on for a few extra minutes, or even hours.I never would have thought that a wax from a reputable company such as Zymol could damage paint, as I'm sure you thought. Now we all know.

Your thread was clear and you clearly stated it was your fault and a mistake.To everyone who knocked Ptatohed, grow up and appreciate that he shared his story considering he didn't have to. Glad your gas cap is ok man. Thanks for the input. I appperciate it.

JDAWGX. You on the other hand, clearly made a fool out of yourself. You were totally out of line, your comebacks often didn't make sense, and you sounded immature. You should go crawl under a rock and come back when you grow up.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by The Wizard
Ptatohed,
Your thread was clear and you clearly stated it was your fault and a mistake.To everyone who knocked Ptatohed, grow up and appreciate that he shared his story considering he didn't have to.
JDAWGX. You on the other hand, clearly made a fool out of yourself. You were totally out of line, your comebacks often didn't make sense, and you sounded immature. You should go crawl under a rock and come back when you grow up.
Make a fool out of myself??? If you read the post then you would know that the gas cap was the least of his worries as the whole car was BLUE!!!! Crawl under a rock huh? Wo, did you have to think about that one for a while??? Grow up and learn to read!!!
Old 05-06-2002, 08:37 PM

leave this thing alone. we have 3 pages of bullsh!t here. when you wax your car, you don't leave the wax on for hours on end, but we all make mistakes. enough said.

Quick Reply: Caution about using Zymol wax: