4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

update: reverse indiglo w/blue bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 06:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

update: reverse indiglo w/blue bulbs

I posted some pics of my reverse indiglo gauges with red bulbs before. I bought some new LED blue bulbs from Autodynamic.com to make it match the gauges a bit more. These bulbs are really bright. I put one of the extra blue LED bulbs in the shifter console, and it's bright! However, the bulbs don't seem as bright on the gauge cluster. Here are two pics to illustrate what I mean:

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...17_66_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...17_67_full.jpg
Old 05-24-2002, 07:20 PM
i SeE what you did therE

nice...

can't wait till i see them for myself next month..
Old 05-24-2002, 07:27 PM

those dont look bad...which indiglo guages are those? and why dont u get the needle kit from import intelligence?
Old 05-24-2002, 08:04 PM
FJC

Re: update: reverse indiglo w/blue bulbs

I actually put blue for the temp & gas and red for the odo, tach & speed (I ran out of red bulbs) ... Looks pretty good
Old 05-24-2002, 08:38 PM

can someone tell me where i can find directions on how to change the bulbs in the shifter console? and what number bulb it is..that looks soo hott...
thanks..
Old 05-24-2002, 09:18 PM

redmaxpa007: too bad you won't be bringing your car down here, I would love to see a fixed up red Maxima.

99MAXSE: it's the reverse indiglo. I don't know the exact brand of it, I bought it from someone on ebay. I would like to get the glowing needle kit, but I messed up my last gauge cluster when I tried to put the kit before. I don't want to mess with it again. Plus, doing this is cheaper.

Champagne97: the bulb in the shifter console is the same as the ones in the gauge cluster, 194. As far as changing it, it's very easy. All I did is take off the plastic trim piece. After that, I just used my fingers to reach in and remove the connector that house the bulb. Then just swap bulbs. I got small hands and bony fingers, so it wasn't hard for me, but you might have to take off the assembly itself to get to it.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:25 AM

Cumalot

Any idea how the blue 194-LED bulbs would look in the stock gauge of a 4th gen SE? Everyone is running reverse indiglos now & I can't find any pics of a regular SE gauge w/ blue LEDs.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:34 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

So do you have the indiglo needles, or is that all from the bulbs? If it's just the bulbs, how did you route the wires so you could still run all the bulbs? I got my guages working, but I need to figure out a better way to see the needles at night...
Old 06-09-2002, 01:11 PM

exactly which bulbs did you get from autodynamic? how much were they? i have the same problem of not being able to see the needle that well at night. also, how many bulbs do we need for the gauges and the shifter console? your setup looks nice!
Old 06-09-2002, 02:14 PM

5 for the console, 1 for the shifter.....3 pairs
Old 06-09-2002, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Jamsan
5 for the console, 1 for the shifter.....3 pairs
thanks , now i just need to know exactly which 194 led bulbs should i get from autodynamic.com. the regular ones or the extra brightness ones? would the bulbs be different for a 95 maxima? cause i know cumalot has a 97-99...
Old 06-09-2002, 04:15 PM

And does anyone have blue-LED bulbs in the gauge with just the stock SE gauges? (no reverse indiglos). How do they look, if you have a pi, please link it.

For the shifter, I've noticed from Cumalot's pic that the light dispersion is rather heavy at the LED spot, so the brightness is uneven. Anyone tried putting a piece of fluorescent light cover (same stuff for the red/clear tails in 97-99)?
Old 06-09-2002, 05:16 PM

Sorry I don't have any pics of the blue bulbs with stock SE gauges. The bulbs are from Autodynamic, just check out the Lighting section and click on LED bulbs. I routed the wires through the little notch where it clip down on, I had to press down on it hard to fit, not perfect. Here's a link to the bulbs. It's the $12.95 a pair one.

http://209.87.151.155/search_results...l=2&subcat=458
Old 06-09-2002, 05:57 PM

How Too!!!

Does any one have a link to instructions on how to change the bulbs
in the dash and the shifter, and climate control!! Plz post it Thanks

I'am thinking about changing them to hyper white like the lex.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:07 PM

Cumalot

You're using the 4-led one from autodynamics?

I know LED light dispersion pattern is rather focused compared tor egular bulbs. Do you have problems on your gauge with hot spots because of the bulbs focusing the light on one spot?
Old 06-09-2002, 08:13 PM

We forgot to check out your gauges today but will try to stop by at night.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
Cumalot

You're using the 4-led one from autodynamics?

I know LED light dispersion pattern is rather focused compared tor egular bulbs. Do you have problems on your gauge with hot spots because of the bulbs focusing the light on one spot?

Yeah the ones with the four little *****. As far as light dispersion, it seem fine on the gauges, however, on the shifter console it seem the light focus more mainly on the N where the bulb is. The bulbs on the gauge cluster still weren't as bright as I wish they were. That's odd because when I put the LED bulb in the shifter console connector, I took it out to have a look and it was very bright.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:26 AM

Cumalot,
Were your stock needles orange or white. YOu said you messed up your cluster so was wondering with the blue, are they shing through orange or white. I have the orange so I am hesitating about putting blue bulbs behind it in fear that I get some nasty color.

Thanks,
- Mike
Old 06-10-2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Michael J.
Cumalot,
Were your stock needles orange or white. YOu said you messed up your cluster so was wondering with the blue, are they shing through orange or white. I have the orange so I am hesitating about putting blue bulbs behind it in fear that I get some nasty color.

Thanks,
- Mike

Mine's white.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:10 PM

Thanks Cumalot!

Old 06-11-2002, 05:14 PM

Another question:

Autodynamic sells 2 types of 194-LEDs.

Regular (1-LED):

Extra-bright (4-LED):

Anyone know if the current draw on the extra-bright is something to worry about?

Also, the design of the 1-LED has a 'lens' over the LED, I'm guessing it's there to diffuse the light to the side since LEDs have a rather focused light dispersion pattern. However, the 4-LED is just a bunch of LEDs bunched up together. I'm worried that the 4-LED might cause hot spots in the gauge cluster. Any idea?
Old 06-11-2002, 05:45 PM

Re: Another question:

Originally posted by pocketrocket
Autodynamic sells 2 types of 194-LEDs.

Regular (1-LED):

Extra-bright (4-LED):

Anyone know if the current draw on the extra-bright is something to worry about?

Also, the design of the 1-LED has a 'lens' over the LED, I'm guessing it's there to diffuse the light to the side since LEDs have a rather focused light dispersion pattern. However, the 4-LED is just a bunch of LEDs bunched up together. I'm worried that the 4-LED might cause hot spots in the gauge cluster. Any idea?
i believe cumalot got the 4-led one... cause he said he spend 12.95 for a pair, so that would be for the 4-led one....
Old 06-11-2002, 06:08 PM

Re: Re: Another question:

But cumalot is using reverse indiglos, I don't know if there's any difference in using the regular gauge and just swapping out the bulbs?

Just comparing 1-LED to 4-LED, how is the light dispersion to the side (and top I guess)? Anyone?
Old 07-09-2002, 11:12 PM

*BUMP*
Old 07-09-2002, 11:40 PM
I aim to misbehave.

I am also curious about this. I purchased the single-LED bulbs ($10/pair) from autodynamic a month or two ago, even though I was afraid they might be too dim. I was afraid that the 4-LED type would give irregular light dispersion, and I didn't want to have to deal with returning the bulbs if I didn't like them. So I got the less-bright ones. I do wish they were a tiny bit brighter. ***, would you be interested in swapping your overly-bright shifter bulb for one of my slightly dimmer single-LED bulbs? I think the single-LED bulb would look much better in your shifter since the bulb is so close to the surface it's illuminating, and it has to light up a much wider angle. Let me know if you're interested.. you could keep the bulb and I'll pay for shipping both of the bulbs. I can test out the 4-LED bulbs vs. the single-LED bulbs and post my findings on brightness and light dispersion and settle this thing once and for all.

btw, I have a stock black GXE cluster. I would also like to see a pic of the SE guages with LED bulbs if anyone has one!!
Old 07-10-2002, 12:26 AM

I thought I read in one of the other posts that the 4 LED 194s will give you light spots at places because they are too bright...someone else recommended the single led 194... any input from you people out there who've done this experiment???
Old 07-10-2002, 11:06 AM

im sorta confused.....so exactly which lights and how many pairs of those lights are needed for the full job (including the shifter area) ?
Old 07-10-2002, 11:11 AM
Redlinemax Owner

Re: How Too!!!

Originally posted by yu241229
Does any one have a link to instructions on how to change the bulbs
in the dash and the shifter, and climate control!! Plz post it Thanks

I'am thinking about changing them to hyper white like the lex.
You took the words right out of my mouth!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 01:15 PM

well since noone wants to post the difference between the 4led and 1 led 194's, I went ahead and ordered both kind. I've also changed the climate control bulbs and will take it all apart and take some pics with my digi cam for all you people out there..its not that hard...and since I have a 5 speed, i cant help you much with changing the bulb in the shifter... but I saw it in this forum that someone has already done that.. do a search..

the bulbs were ordered today and should be 3-4 days before i can put something up for you guys... :-/
Old 07-10-2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by 98fiveSpeed

the bulbs were ordered today and should be 3-4 days before i can put something up for you guys... :-/
I for one will be very pleased to see your results and am eagerly awaiting them!
Old 07-10-2002, 03:31 PM
I aim to misbehave.

There are five bulbs that illuminate the guage cluster. They are 12V, type 194 bulbs. One bulb lights up the fuel guage, one lights up the left side of the speedometer, one does both the right side of the speedometer and the left side of the tachometer, and the fifth bulb illuminates the right side of the tachometer and the whole temp. guage.

Swapping out these bulbs is very easy once you've taken off the appropriate dash trim pieces. I don't have any direct links for you, but if you search around you can find one pretty quickly. Takes about 15 minutes. Easy mod!

One 194 bulb illuminates the gear selection indicator beneath the shifter. Unless you have very thin and agile hands, you'll probably need to remove the center armrest console in order to fit your hand underneat the shifter assembly (console removal is easy and takes 5 minutes). There are instructions with pictures for that somewhere too.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:43 PM

those are the easy ones...messing with the manual climate control is a ***** and a half..
Old 07-14-2002, 11:09 AM

well since noone wants to post the difference between the 4led and 1 led 194's, I went ahead and ordered both kind. I've also changed the climate control bulbs and will take it all apart and take some pics with my digi cam for all you people out there..its not that hard...and since I have a 5 speed, i cant help you much with changing the bulb in the shifter... but I saw it in this forum that someone has already done that.. do a search..

Well my LED bulbs finally came in today. Took the dash/console apart and when I looked at the bulbs they were sure enough similar, but the size was different. Here are the two main problems:

1) The LED Bulbs are much bigger and will not fit in the holder that holds the bulb in place.
2) The LED bumbs are much bigger in diameter and will not go in the wholes made for these bulbs in the console.

I will write a little writeup if you guys are interested in how I hacked and got those to fit. But if you are weak of the heart and dont want to use a drill or something to make modification and are not good with soldering then I recommend you to not get these bulbs.

I will be out of town all day, but will put some pics up of everything asap.

So for those thinking that the 194s will fit in 1998s... you are wrong.

After getting all this stuff to fit, I must say the dash looks very nice. the color is the same color of the leds that are in the climate control and the window switches. looks very good.. deep blue all over the place. BTW im using one led bulbs. havnt tried out the 4 led bulbs.. but ill let you guys know once I try that out as well.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:29 PM

i took some pics of the new blue leds after install.

http://jatt.net/maxima/MAVICA.HTM

Click here

picture MVC-097F.JPG is of the guage cluster. The needles arnt visible but they do glow a little faint red. Hopefully they will look a little better when i order the intelli-glow needles..is there a bulb whihc illuminates the needles? or are they just illuminated by the ambient light? is it possible to just add another led under the needles? for anyone who has the glowing needels, how do they work? is there another led? how is it setup? im wondering if i need to order them or just add another led...?
Old 07-15-2002, 10:05 PM

i took some pics of the new blue leds after install.

http://jatt.net/maxima/MAVICA.HTM

Click here

picture MVC-097F.JPG is of the guage cluster. The needles arnt visible but they do glow a little faint red. Hopefully they will look a little better when i order the intelli-glow needles..is there a bulb whihc illuminates the needles? or are they just illuminated by the ambient light? is it possible to just add another led under the needles? for anyone who has the glowing needels, how do they work? is there another led? how is it setup? im wondering if i need to order them or just add another led...?
i have a 99 5 speed. when you said that the 194's won't fit in a 98 that also means they won't fit a 99 right?? also, in the pic of your gauge cluster, it looked very dim. does it look that way in person or is that just the pic?? thanks

Ben
Old 07-15-2002, 11:14 PM

no, its not dim at all.. its just that the blue light doesnt go good with the camera. It is by no means bright...but its nice deep blue glow. Im very happy with it so far. But after I drive it for a few days, ill post here if my impression changes.

I belive that 98/99s should be the same....so i dont think 194's will fit.

I've ordered some 4 LED bulbs too. Im going to put them in probbaly tomorrow and see how that goes.. Ill post back here.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:42 AM

I have the 1 led style bought from autodynamic.com
this is what they look like

http://www.geocities.com/multiplexor_2000/images.html
Old 07-16-2002, 06:16 AM
I aim to misbehave.

no, its not dim at all.. its just that the blue light doesnt go good with the camera. It is by no means bright...but its nice deep blue glow. Im very happy with it so far. But after I drive it for a few days, ill post here if my impression changes.

I belive that 98/99s should be the same....so i dont think 194's will fit.

I've ordered some 4 LED bulbs too. Im going to put them in probbaly tomorrow and see how that goes.. Ill post back here.

Thanks for posting a pic of the white guages with LEDs! I have been trying to decide whether I want to get a white guage cluster (my tach broke) and was hesitant because I wasn't sure how it would look at night. Nice!
Old 07-16-2002, 08:58 PM

Hey cumalot
what u mean the plastic trim pieace. The one with the shifter # and letters cause i want to try it. Thats pretty cool looking to have. I also got a wooden trim surrounded it so i want to know if i have to take that off too. thanks

Originally posted by Cumalot
redmaxpa007: too bad you won't be bringing your car down here, I would love to see a fixed up red Maxima.

99MAXSE: it's the reverse indiglo. I don't know the exact brand of it, I bought it from someone on ebay. I would like to get the glowing needle kit, but I messed up my last gauge cluster when I tried to put the kit before. I don't want to mess with it again. Plus, doing this is cheaper.

Champagne97: the bulb in the shifter console is the same as the ones in the gauge cluster, 194. As far as changing it, it's very easy. All I did is take off the plastic trim piece. After that, I just used my fingers to reach in and remove the connector that house the bulb. Then just swap bulbs. I got small hands and bony fingers, so it wasn't hard for me, but you might have to take off the assembly itself to get to it.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:16 PM

where can i buy reverse indiglo gauges and needles for a 96?

Quick Reply: update: reverse indiglo w/blue bulbs