4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Time to replace clutch if tranny is already out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 12:57 PM
mtman74

Time to replace clutch if tranny is already out?

I recently purchased a used '96 I30t with a manual transmission from the local Acura dealer. I noticed that the axle seal was leaking on the drivers side and made them fix the leak before I agreed to make an offer on the car. After taking the car back to have the seal replaced a couple times in the last month, I printed off some of the threads from some of you that were having the bearing problem on your Max's. After a few trips to the local Infiniti dealer, they have agreed to replace the bearings in the tranny at their cost.

While the tranny is being dropped how much work is involved in replacing the clutch? They said that it would be probably 2 hrs labor and 260 for the clutch and TO bearing for a total of $579 . . . . . that doesn't seem reasonable if the tranny is already out. I know they are probably trying to recoup their losses on the bearing work, but I don't want to push my luck since they are already doing the tranny for free. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 06-11-2002, 02:18 PM

Re: Time to replace clutch if tranny is already out?

Originally posted by mtman74
I recently purchased a used '96 I30t with a manual transmission from the local Acura dealer. I noticed that the axle seal was leaking on the drivers side and made them fix the leak before I agreed to make an offer on the car. After taking the car back to have the seal replaced a couple times in the last month, I printed off some of the threads from some of you that were having the bearing problem on your Max's. After a few trips to the local Infiniti dealer, they have agreed to replace the bearings in the tranny at their cost.

While the tranny is being dropped how much work is involved in replacing the clutch? They said that it would be probably 2 hrs labor and 260 for the clutch and TO bearing for a total of $579 . . . . . that doesn't seem reasonable if the tranny is already out. I know they are probably trying to recoup their losses on the bearing work, but I don't want to push my luck since they are already doing the tranny for free. Any suggestions?

Thanks
They are trying to recoup their losses for sure. To replace the clutch you are talking an extra half hour of labor, one hour if the flywheel is resurfaced. The parts themselves can be had for less than $200 if you use the stock Nissan junk. An ACT clutch kit can be bought for $350 if you'd like to upgrade to something of quality.

Just as a guidline, most independent shops will replace the clutch, including all the labor for around $600 total.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:56 PM

if the tranny is already off...

removal:
throw-out bearing - 5 min to replace...
pressure plate - 2 min to remove 9 bolts...
clutch disc - 0 min cuz it comes off when pressur plate is unbolted...
flywheel - (if replacing) 2 min to remove 8 bolts...

installation:
flywheel - 2 min to reinstall 8 bolts...
clutch disc - 1 min to align...
pressure plate - 5 min to reinstall 9 bolts...

total time should not exceed 30 min...

thas like saying i will charge u labor for replacing ur spring...o wat? u want to replace ur struts too? well now the labor is gonna be doubled... i sai they do charge u sum but not for that cost that they are asking...if the parts are included then thas not THAT bad...
Old 06-11-2002, 03:30 PM

Ah ha! Another transmission bearing problem. Make absolutely certain that they reshim the bearings to the correct spec. As for the clutch job, with the tranny out it literally takes 15 minutes to replace the clutch. It is right there. There is NO REASON not to replace the clutch at this time.
Old 06-11-2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Ah ha! Another transmission bearing problem. Make absolutely certain that they reshim the bearings to the correct spec. As for the clutch job, with the tranny out it literally takes 15 minutes to replace the clutch. It is right there. There is NO REASON not to replace the clutch at this time.

KEKE...hey eric...the lil title under ur name should be "drove my max down the river!"...keke
Old 06-12-2002, 06:38 AM
mtman74

Thanks for everyone's input. I asked them why they were going to charge me 2 hrs labor for the clutch if I was not getting my flywheel resurfaced and they said "oh yeah . . we'll replace the rear main seal while we have the clutch out since those are prone to start leaking at 120K-130K mi."

Right now I have 90K on my ride, I know they are trying to make some $$ back but man, how many different ways are they going to try and shake me?

So assuming the clutch takes 30 min . . does it take another hour and 1/2 to replace the rear main seal?

Old 06-12-2002, 07:02 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mtman74

So assuming the clutch takes 30 min . . does it take another hour and 1/2 to replace the rear main seal?
No. I would think a few minutes at the most. You should always replace the seal when changing the clutch...and most places include that in the $600 estimate that was mentioned above.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:37 AM

Well actually the rear main seal does take a bit more work then the clutch does. We have 2 oil pans actually. Theres the black steel one you see and an aluminum one thats alot bigger and above that. You must take off the aluminum one to replace the rear main seal. Of course you also would have no idea if they actually did do the rear main seal of if they're just BSing you.

It IS a good opportunity to replace the seal- however I have to wonder what about the automatics who almost never get their transmissions dropped who dont get their rear main seals replaced.