4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Advice - struts+springs+?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suspension Advice - struts+springs+?

I've done some research and have come up with these options and choices. I'd like some input from personal experience and if there is in fact a clear-cut best suspension setup, brand-wise.

Struts
KYB
KYB AGX (adjustable?)
Tokico
Koni (adjustable?)

I picked Koni out of that lot. Anyone have any experience/feedback about that?

Springs
Suspension Techniques
B&G
H&R Sport
Eibach Pro

I picked Eibach Pro but it is a close call between that and the H&R Sport.

Swaybar
Addco rear swaybar

Anything else out there for swaybars?

As for other suspension components, should I bother to get a front alignment kit? Shox.com sells them for like $25. What other suspension components (brandnames) can I get? I'm not sure where to look for a front strut tower brace. I think that covers all suspension components, right? Should I even bother with a caster/camber kit?

One last thing... would a ground control coilover kit do me any good in terms of performance/handling or would it be purely for aesthetics?

Sorry for all the questions, but after my research I needed advice from personal experiences. Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-11-2002, 11:15 PM

i went with the B+G springs w/tokikos, addco RSB, courtsey FSTB and RSTB and the Ingalls camber bolts!
works pretty good but then again, its a lot better then stock.
Old 06-12-2002, 02:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

get KYB AGX for shocks, its what pretty much every member of this board will tell you. They are direct bolt on and require no modification like the Konis, and are higher quality than Tokico ( I think).
Old 06-12-2002, 05:34 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Don't get the Koni's. There was a writeup on here from Cattman about the differences between Koni and KYB struts. The KYB's are much more user friendly and the way they dampen is superrior to Koni.

Koni's are an excellent struts, no doubt about that, but the KYB's are just slightly ahead of them.

I'm currently on KYB's and B&G springs. Great drop if your Auto (not recomended for 5 speeds, the drop isn't even) and the ride is smooth and tight on the highway. Feels like a BMW. No noises and awsome handling.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I'm currently on KYB's and B&G springs. Great drop if your Auto (not recomended for 5 speeds, the drop isn't even) and the ride is smooth and tight on the highway.
What's behind your comment about the 5-spd? I justed beefed up my suspension with Progress/AGX & I love it.
Old 06-12-2002, 05:48 AM

By KYB do you guys mean KYB AGX or KYB (GR2?). I got a quotation for "KYB" for $259 and "KYB AGX" for $399.

In what way do the Konis need to be mofidied? Or does that not matter since KYB AGX is superior anyway?

I have a 1995 SE 5-spd... so for springs which would you recommend? I find it surprising that nobody has gone with H&R Sport or Eibach Pro. Are they not superior to some of the other brands that you mentioned? They do cost the most (I believe in the "you get what you pay for" motto).

My focus is #1 on performance and #2 looks.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by speedemn
By KYB do you guys mean KYB AGX or KYB (GR2?). I got a quotation for "KYB" for $259 and "KYB AGX" for $399.
KYB AGX'S There the best out there. The GR2 is a nice upgrade from stock but if your looking for performance, get the AGX's

In what way do the Konis need to be mofidied? Or does that not matter since KYB AGX is superior anyway?
You have to cut the stock front struts open and take out the guts. Then insert the Koni cartridge and secure it. A bit of a PITA.

I have a 1995 SE 5-spd... so for springs which would you recommend? I find it surprising that nobody has gone with H&R Sport or Eibach Pro. Are they not superior to some of the other brands that you mentioned? They do cost the most (I believe in the "you get what you pay for" motto).

Either one is going to give you great performance. I think the Eibach will drop you lower in the front. Like I said earlier, 5 speeds and B&G springs don't go to well together. Search around on here for pics of other 5 speeds with H&R's and Eibach's so you can decide on what drop you like best.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by speedemn

You want KYB AGX, the GR2's are slightly better than stock, not really "performance" oriented. Check the GD forum, you can get the KYB AGX for $350 shipped.

Also, there is the Stillen RSB too. Do a search and you'll find lots of info.

As for springs the H&R and Eibachs were the first available for the 4th gen, but now lots more springs are available. From what I've read and heard Eibachs ride rough, H&Rs are a much nicer ride but when pushed Perform just as well.