4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Raced a '03 Mustang SVT Cobra and a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 06:38 PM
Ford Only.

Well if the GT-40 comes out we will all be sitting down.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:03 PM

Camaro being faster than a Mustang is a known fact.....

Mustang just sells better which is why its staying, and Camaro's are being discontinued.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Sin

Of the three mags I have with 1/4 numbers no the 2003 blown cobra, they have times ranging from 12.9-13.3. Regular GT's from the era of my buddy's GT, which is a mid to late 90's, is 15.3 The newest GT's run the quarter in about the same time as the quickest 5 spd max's, which is about 14.8-15.

The new GT's have 260hp, they are faster than the 94-98gt's, I know i have seen m/t pull a 14.0 in the 1/4 with a 5spd

mustang gt hp
94-95 ~220hp
95-97 215
98 225
99+ 260

most 5spd max's will take 94-98gt's, but probably not 99+ unless it is a auto stang vs. 5spd max
Old 06-16-2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
My God, the ignorance in this site rivals the ignorance over at Club Si. Here's the truth behind the 94+ Mustangs:

1) 94-95 GT 5.0 liter (215hp, pushrod), rather slow because the car gained 200lbs in the redesign and the intake manifold was more restrictive due to tighter clearances from the hood. Most 5.0 5 speeds are in the lower 15s, autos are in the upper 15s.

2) 94-95 5.0 liter Cobra (240hp, pushrod), rather slow for a Cobra model. Restrictive intake manifold sucked some life out of the motor. Mid 14s were the norm.

3) 96-98 GT 4.6 liter (modular design, SOHC, 215-225hp), rather slow due to the short powerband of the small 4.6 motor. Poor flowing heads were the culprit. High 14s and to lower 15s were the norm.

4) 96-98 Cobra 4.6 liter (modular, DOHC, 305hp), much quicker than any Mustang built since the early 70s. Many have run mid 13s, most mags got 13.8s@102mph. A true topend beast. This car is only limited by it's super tall 3.27 rear gear. Simply adding a 4.10-4.33 gear (completely streetable gearing in a car that can rev to 7000rpm) will drop ET by ~.3-.4. 12s are attainable with gears and slicks. It's been done numerous times.

5) 99+ GT 4.6 liter (modular, SOHC, 260hp), much quicker than the old SOHC. Much better flowing heads dramatically improved midrange power and topend HP. Low 14s are the norm for the these cars. Autos can EASILY hit mid 14s. Performance rivals GM's LT1 F-Body from 93-97.

6) 99, 01 Cobra 4.6 liter (DOHC, 320hp). Slower Cobra than the 96-98. The addition of the IRS that added 120lbs (3640lb car now) and the fact that Ford had quality control problems with certain motor parts made this car a mid 14 second ride on average. There was no 2000 Cobra for this very reason.

7) 2001 Bullit 4.6 liter (SOHC, 265hp). With a revised intake manifold and higher flow mufflers, Ford was only able to add 5 peak hp, HOWEVER, the mid range power of this 4.6 was the much improved. This car drives like it has a modded 5.0 under the hood. High 13s are the norm for this car.

8) 2003 Cobra 4.6 liter Roots supercharger (DOHC, 390hp). Using revised cams, a lower compression, and sporting a Roots blower, this IS the ultimate Mustang. The additon of the blower and cast iron block added 80lbs to the front of the car, but SVT has revised the suspension to compensate for the weight. This is the best handling ever. It's also easily the quickest. Most mag publications have gotten 12.8-13.0 at a massive 110-112mph. This car is only limited by it's tires. Mustang & Fast Ford mag has gotten 12.4@112mph stock and a 12.1@113mph out of this Cobra by simply using a SVT Lightning stock pulley. This Cobra is easily in the league of the Corvette Z06 for $15K less and sports two extra seats.

9) 2003 Mach I (305hp, DOHC) This Stang will sport the 305hp from the 96-98 Cobra. Gone is the IRS therefore drag racing this Stang will be much easier (IRS sucks for drag racing). The Mach I will sport Mach I "styling cues" and a new verison of old school 17s.

10) 2004 The Boss 302 (350hp? DOHC 5.0 liter). This is the Stang I want. To highlight the end of the Fox body chassis, Ford will be releasing the Boss 302 which will sport a 5.0 liter version of the 4.6. Ford has already shown off this motor 2 years ago and it easily put down 400hp and the Stang ran deep 12s.

11) 2005 Stang (5.0 liter, SOHC-DOHC) Completely new chassis, most likely all will have IRS, better ride, better handling, better performance

Dave
You sir, are right on the money with everything you said, props to ya
Old 06-16-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by 96SE5Spd
On the V8 disscussion a truly built V8(depending on what car it is in) will wax just about any import that is built. Just look at what lingenfelter has done with the vette.
I'll take a 9 second single turbo supra against a lingenfelter vette ANY DAY.

And on efficancy GM has better fuel management than most japanese companies. The vette gets as good MPG as a max.
Riiight....my buddy has a vette, he drives it hard and gets at BEST, 14-15mpg in city driving conditions. I have a max...and also drive it hard and I get 21-22 mpg in city driving.

And for those of you who think the new svt cobra is fast just get a used f-body with an LT1 and use the money you save to supercharge it, you will never loose to a 03 svt again.
By just tossing a S/Cer onto an LT1 you would be LUCKY to run low 13s....toss a smaller pully and a few other small mods on a new Cobra and most S/Ced LT1s won't stand a chance.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Riiight....my buddy has a vette, he drives it hard and gets at BEST, 14-15mpg in city driving conditions. I have a max...and also drive it hard and I get 21-22 mpg in city driving.

By just tossing a S/Cer onto an LT1 you would be LUCKY to run low 13s....toss a smaller pully and a few other small mods on a new Cobra and most S/Ced LT1s won't stand a chance.
First off, yes, supras are very fast, as are vettes, both have a lot of potential. I'm not going to start a war with you hear, but as far as gas mileage is conserned, our V8 cars can do well. In city driving, I get about 19-20 mpg with my LT1, and thats driving it pretty fast. On the highway I get 30 mpg. That has lot to do with gearing, but nonetheless I still get that mileage. And as far as supercharging an LT1 goes, well, I dont want to start a fight, but I know my share about it. The biggest thing is putting down the power. I know its hard to believe, but their are stock motor LT1s, with bolt ons, that can go 12.20s, those are the quickest stock motor LT1s out there, of course with built drivetrains, huge gears and some lightening, and of course slicks. I have seen stock LT1 motors with blowers go as slow as mid 13s, usually with stock drivetrains or bad drivers , but with just a bolt on blower (at about 6-8 psi) and the proper drivetrain, an LT1 can go into the 11s, no problem. But lucky to run lows 13s???? think again, dont talk about what you have no idea. Have a nice day.

Waiting to be flamed by import owners

Andy
Old 06-17-2002, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by 5.0THIS

First off, yes, supras are very fast, as are vettes, both have a lot of potential. I'm not going to start a war with you hear, but as far as gas mileage is conserned, our V8 cars can do well. In city driving, I get about 19-20 mpg with my LT1, and thats driving it pretty fast. On the highway I get 30 mpg. That has lot to do with gearing, but nonetheless I still get that mileage. And as far as supercharging an LT1 goes, well, I dont want to start a fight, but I know my share about it. The biggest thing is putting down the power. I know its hard to believe, but their are stock motor LT1s, with bolt ons, that can go 12.20s, those are the quickest stock motor LT1s out there, of course with built drivetrains, huge gears and some lightening, and of course slicks. I have seen stock LT1 motors with blowers go as slow as mid 13s, usually with stock drivetrains or bad drivers , but with just a bolt on blower (at about 6-8 psi) and the proper drivetrain, an LT1 can go into the 11s, no problem. But lucky to run lows 13s???? think again, dont talk about what you have no idea. Have a nice day.

Waiting to be flamed by import owners

Andy
With regard to the S/Cing. I am simply going on what I SEE at the track. Not talking out of my a$$. The best I've seen a S/Ced LT1 f-body do at Rt. 66 raceway in Chicago is 13.3s....I've only seen a few of them, and I bet there are very fast ones out there, but I was simply going on what I've personally seen.

Yes, LT1s can be fast...and Mustangs can be fast too. I'm not here to start a "who's gonna be faster than who fight" I'm simply saying that you can NEVER claim that one certain car will ALWAYS be faster than another like 96SE5spd said.

Hell, I was at the track last tuesday and I saw a Turbo Dodge Caravan (wood paneling and all) put the smack down on a Z06 Vette....
Old 06-17-2002, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Well he didn't so thus the story.

Old 06-17-2002, 05:38 AM

Re: Raced a '03 Mustang SVT Cobra and a Corvette

The guy in the Mustang must be like my brother who just bought an '03 Cobra last week....he's getting on it some, but not really getting on it until it's fully broken in. My brother bought the first one the dealer received...and that was last week. With only a few hundred miles on the car I wouldn't think any of the '03 Cobra owners are showing the full potential of their cars yet. Ford had built my brother's car in early May, but held all of the Cobras back until they were absolutely sure the quality was up to par. He took me out for a ride and we had it doing 100-110 in no time. He said he was only pushing the pedal down an inch! The new '03 Cobra is really quiet, handles extremely well and rides much smoother than his old '96 Cobra. I can't wait until his is really broken in and I get to see what the car will really do!
Old 06-17-2002, 06:57 AM

Re: Re: Raced a '03 Mustang SVT Cobra and a Corvette

Random question: My buddy has a 2001 automatic Corvette and i was wondering if i should put some money down on a race. I am getting a 100 shot of nitrous put in my car and am having it tuned by this guy that knows his stuff. You guys think that i would possibly win some money out of the deal? It would be a priceless expression on my buddies face if i smoked him. Possible, keep in mind he is an auto...?
Old 06-17-2002, 10:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Raced a '03 Mustang SVT Cobra and a Corvette

Originally posted by perfectmax
Random question: My buddy has a 2001 automatic Corvette and i was wondering if i should put some money down on a race. I am getting a 100 shot of nitrous put in my car and am having it tuned by this guy that knows his stuff. You guys think that i would possibly win some money out of the deal? It would be a priceless expression on my buddies face if i smoked him. Possible, keep in mind he is an auto...?

If you race him from a dead stop....you're gonna get OWNED....run him from a 40 roll...I've done this against some VERY fast cars with my 100-shot...and I can usually put 1-2 cars on them right at the beginning...and hold them off til well over 100mph when we stop racing. It's all in the instantanous torque advantage of the Nitrous.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:49 AM
Dysfunctional

are u sure it was even a cobra or did he put on the sickers or something cause he would have raped u another *** hole... but thats even if he was a cobra in the first place.

Old 06-17-2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Dysfunctional
are u sure it was even a cobra or did he put on the sickers or something cause he would have raped u another *** hole... but thats even if he was a cobra in the first place.
What?? English please.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:24 PM

With regard to the S/Cing. I am simply going on what I SEE at the track. Not talking out of my a$$. The best I've seen a S/Ced LT1 f-body do at Rt. 66 raceway in Chicago is 13.3s....I've only seen a few of them, and I bet there are very fast ones out there, but I was simply going on what I've personally seen.

Hell, I was at the track last tuesday and I saw a Turbo Dodge Caravan (wood paneling and all) put the smack down on a Z06 Vette....
Wow, 13.3s, that is a horribly prepared and/or driven car, or the conditions flat sucked. I am only a tenth or so off that in my car, and I have only bolt ons and a stock drivetrain and gears, and that was on street tires.

And that van you're speaking of, I've seen video of it, it's rather humerous dont you think? I think I've seen it run high 11s low 12s, he has a motor out of DSM in there, which is boosted and built big time
Old 06-17-2002, 07:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

5.0This-

You and I are on the same page. Like any import site, this one is also full of ignorance concerning anything domestic. You and I also share similiar likes in F-Bodies.

BriGuyMax-

I don't doubt what you have seen, but I've got to tell you about my buddies 95 and my old 94 Z28 and how they perform NA with good driving. My 94 was an automatic with highway gearing (2.73 axle). With just a 3" Flowmaster single out catback (complete sleeper look, looked like a V6 exhaust), it went 13.9@99mph with a 2.0 60' at KCIR (Kansas City). With a Borla Y-pipe, JET intake pipe w/9" cone, Whisper MAF, MSD 6a, LT4 knock sensor, 1LE driveshaft, and lighter 16" Centerlines, my Z28 went 13.45@103mph with a 1.9 60', full interior. This is at 1100' above sea too. My buddy has a 95 Z28, auto, 3.73s, A&M headers, Borla catback, cam and heads, honed intake manifold, MSD 6A, custom chip, A&M intake, and drag radials. His best is a 12.4@110mph with a 1.8 60' with the ultra tight 1600rpm stall torque converter. He's putting down 335rwhp and 340rwtq. When he adds his Yank 3000 stall converter and MH slicks, he'll be touching 11s NA.

Dave
Old 06-17-2002, 08:16 PM

5.0This-

You and I are on the same page. Like any import site, this one is also full of ignorance concerning anything domestic. You and I also share similiar likes in F-Bodies.

BriGuyMax-

I don't doubt what you have seen, but I've got to tell you about my buddies 95 and my old 94 Z28 and how they perform NA with good driving. My 94 was an automatic with highway gearing (2.73 axle). With just a 3" Flowmaster single out catback (complete sleeper look, looked like a V6 exhaust), it went 13.9@99mph with a 2.0 60' at KCIR (Kansas City). With a Borla Y-pipe, JET intake pipe w/9" cone, Whisper MAF, MSD 6a, LT4 knock sensor, 1LE driveshaft, and lighter 16" Centerlines, my Z28 went 13.45@103mph with a 1.9 60', full interior. This is at 1100' above sea too. My buddy has a 95 Z28, auto, 3.73s, A&M headers, Borla catback, cam and heads, honed intake manifold, MSD 6A, custom chip, A&M intake, and drag radials. His best is a 12.4@110mph with a 1.8 60' with the ultra tight 1600rpm stall torque converter. He's putting down 335rwhp and 340rwtq. When he adds his Yank 3000 stall converter and MH slicks, he'll be touching 11s NA.

Dave
The funny thing is I usually get flamed, even though I like Maximas. I registered on here because a friend of mine has a very quick 5 spd SE, and I think they're great cars, great build quality, and great performance for a family four door. But it seems like many of the guys on here get ****ed at the mention of an american car, and it seems they're all bad, no matter what.... oh well, can't win em all I guess.

Dave, my future plans for my car include a 383 build up, with AFR 220 heads, and a T-76 turbo for about 12-15 psi. Should be good for around 650-700rwhp should be fun, wish I could afford to do it now

Andy
Old 06-17-2002, 08:24 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Trust me, alot of people here respect domestics, especially for their V8 power.

My mind was changed after I rode in my friends '99 Camaro SS 6-speed. No Japanese car has the kindof ***** that thing has down low. In stock form only the supercars of Japan do. I would kill to own a Cobra/Z28.

IMHO, and I know alot of you will agree, there isn't much better than the grumble of an american V8 pony/muscle car. Especially them Cobra's
Old 06-17-2002, 08:29 PM
Ford Only.

The funny thing is I usually get flamed, even though I like Maximas. I registered on here because a friend of mine has a very quick 5 spd SE, and I think they're great cars, great build quality, and great performance for a family four door. But it seems like many of the guys on here get ****ed at the mention of an american car, and it seems they're all bad, no matter what.... oh well, can't win em all I guess.

Dave, my future plans for my car include a 383 build up, with AFR 220 heads, and a T-76 turbo for about 12-15 psi. Should be good for around 650-700rwhp should be fun, wish I could afford to do it now

Andy
Its ok, the thing is how many 6 sec Maxima's are around? Compared to 6 sec Mustang's Maxima's are great cars and I will always own one, but they are not meant for drag racing.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:35 PM

Andy
Some people flame domestics on here because they come into an IMPORT site and throw around numbers they read in their mags like it's the bible. I personally like any and all cars. I've had both domestic and imports. Liked some, hated others. If you mod your car, great.

Personally, I think a lot of people are full of BS. My brothers', my other car, my neighbor down the street; please. If you have a fast car, then cool talk about that. Just don't come into a discussion with canned responses and mag stats and act like you're a guru when you're not. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One person's nice is another person's rice. Bottomline is simple if you ask me, domestic V-8's CAN and ARE routinely spanked by 6 cyl and even heavily modded 4's, so if you don't think it can happen then the sooner it WILL happen. Compare mod for mod and car for car. All the domestics, unless turbo or s/c from factory, need an 8 cyl. to keep up with our 6 cyl. Why do you think that is?

Now, on with the flames.....
Old 06-17-2002, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

Why do you think that is?

The answer is simple.....Weight. Our cars have a good pwr/lbs ratio which makes them quick. GM or Ford could do the same thing if they were willing to spend the money
Old 06-18-2002, 12:19 AM

Some people flame domestics on here because they come into an IMPORT site and throw around numbers they read in their mags like it's the bible. I personally like any and all cars. I've had both domestic and imports. Liked some, hated others. If you mod your car, great.

Personally, I think a lot of people are full of BS. My brothers', my other car, my neighbor down the street; please. If you have a fast car, then cool talk about that. Just don't come into a discussion with canned responses and mag stats and act like you're a guru when you're not. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One person's nice is another person's rice. Bottomline is simple if you ask me, domestic V-8's CAN and ARE routinely spanked by 6 cyl and even heavily modded 4's, so if you don't think it can happen then the sooner it WILL happen. Compare mod for mod and car for car. All the domestics, unless turbo or s/c from factory, need an 8 cyl. to keep up with our 6 cyl. Why do you think that is?

Dave, care to take a crack at this one?

I never made any claims as to how my car can beat your car etc, yet you still feel it necessary to talk up about how all those import 6 cylinders and 4 cylinders can and do regularly beat V8 domestics. Why is that? It is this kind of ignorance that troubles me.... I have been beaten by an import once or twice, once it was a talon with upped boost, controller, etc, and other it was by an RX-7 also with upped boost etc. those were both very clean cars, and it didnt trouble me to be beaten by them. Anything can be made fast, there's even a dodge neon in the 9s But assuming we must compare factory to factory cars, yes, american cars are heavy, and many have V8s...... there are lots of ways to make cars fast, and a japanese car's light weight (typically) usually helps it go faster.

Earlier I simply stepped in because I do know alot about LT1 cars, and just simply tried to clear something up. I didnt buy my car to be a family hauler, I wanted something that is a tried design, simple in nature, and very fast. I have that. You guys bought your maximas for different reasons. Being as how many of you are enthusiasts though, you look to make your cars perform better, as do american car owners, european car owners, etc. What is it that you all are trying to prove to yourselves by bashing american cars and saying all the reasons why japanese cars are better and why american cars are junk? I just dont get it. On this site more than any other car site I have been to, many of the members are so closed minded about how they view other cars... thinking their cars are the best and that everything else is junk. I have already made it clear I like maximas. Are you ****ed that you cant keep up with many other cars that are american junk? (like my camaro) What many of you people dont seem to realize is that your cars were never desgined to be fast, just sporty family sedans. Nissan did a very good job, kudos to them, but talk to the maxima engineers, ask them if they built that car to go to the dragstrip. Mine was designed for this. I think alot of you guys should invest in some TT 300Zx cars peace everyone

Andy
Old 06-18-2002, 08:24 AM

It is this kind of ignorance that troubles me....

Anything can be made fast, there's even a dodge neon in the 9s But assuming we must compare factory to factory cars, yes, american cars are heavy, and many have V8s...... there are lots of ways to make cars fast, and a japanese car's light weight (typically) usually helps it go faster.

You guys bought your maximas for different reasons. Being as how many of you are enthusiasts though, you look to make your cars perform better, as do american car owners, european car owners, etc. What is it that you all are trying to prove to yourselves by bashing american cars and saying all the reasons why japanese cars are better and why american cars are junk? I just dont get it. On this site more than any other car site I have been to, many of the members are so closed minded about how they view other cars... thinking their cars are the best and that everything else is junk. I have already made it clear I like maximas. Are you ****ed that you cant keep up with many other cars that are american junk? (like my camaro) What many of you people dont seem to realize is that your cars were never desgined to be fast, just sporty family sedans. Nissan did a very good job, kudos to them, but talk to the maxima engineers, ask them if they built that car to go to the dragstrip. Mine was designed for this. I think alot of you guys should invest in some TT 300Zx cars peace everyone

Andy
Let me start by saying simply this: I am not trying to start a "I'm better than you" posting war here. With that said, let me clear a couple of errors you have made in your assumptions here.

1. I stated before and will again; I personally like domestic cars. The disclaimer here is that I like them modded and taken care of. I think that due to restrictions in emmissions, engineering, and costs these cars have a hinderance from the start line (as do a lot of imports too) hence the reason for the mods. Nothing wrong with making something better is there? I am not bashing anyone in particular at all, just the comment that x car will whoop y car all the time. That statement in itself shows true ignorance and closed mindedness.

2. You are absolutely correct about stating that just about any car can be made to go fast. That is exactly why I stated earlier that a blanket statement such as "this car will ALWAYS beat that car" is ignorant indeed. For this reason, I stated that people needed to compare car for car and mod for mod to make an educated guess as to predicting any outcome. For example, it's easy for V-8 people to state that they have more HP when in fact they DID start out with much more HP in the first place, BUT that all in itself does NOT mean that their car is faster than someone with less HP on paper. (power/weight ratios are very critical too). My point about this was simple: How come when people start these discussions they do so on an unlevel playing field? Why don't you compare V-6 to V-6? I probably, as you do, know the answer to that question.

3. I don't know you personally at all, so therefore I am not attacking anyone in particular at all. Let me assure you of one thing though, you have absolutely no idea why I bought my car. You know how the saying goes about assuming don't you? I can also assure you of one more thing; My car is NOT stock. I promise that if you or anyone else beats me at the track you are NOT stock either. I'm not going to sit here and beat my chest about my car because that would be foolish, there's always someone faster. I can tell you this though; I would not get embarrassed even in defeat. There's video of my races at the track against both imports and domestics to prove this point for me.

4. Modding is changing what the car was designed to do or improving it. So, even if Nissan engineers did not intend the maxima to go and be a brawler at the track does not mean it can't be respected. I have raced at the track a few times now and have spoke to both import and domestic guys. I noticed one very important thing. When either side does not respect the other side, the disrespectful usually go home early. I have absolutely nothing against any car. Hell a lawnmower could be made to be fast if you want to. I just don't like people saying blanket statements about their car ALWAYS beating this car. As stated before, there's always someone faster out there. I am not saying this directly to you, i'm just stating my frustration.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:44 AM

3. I can also assure you of one more thing; My car is NOT stock. I promise that if you or anyone else beats me at the track you are NOT stock either.
Just a curious question, what mods do you have to be running in the 13s?

Andy
Old 06-18-2002, 03:07 PM

Just a curious question, what mods do you have to be running in the 13s?

Andy
How did you know that I'm in the 13's?

You probably already know what mods I have. Why do you ask?
Old 06-18-2002, 05:48 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The HARD truth is, THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT....PERIOD!!!!

No matter how you cut it, a larger motor will always ultimately win the acceleration test. Throw a big turbo on a well built I4 and get 500hp...great. Throw a big turbo on a well built 302 and you're staring at 700-800hp along with a sh!tload more torque and a far more useable powerband (ie MUCH FASTER car). A great example is Lingerfelters twin-turbo stroked C5. With a completely street/emissions legal setup, this car is good for mid 9s@145mph. That is flat out astounding. The car is docile around town getting 16-18mpg, but lay into the gas and those on the street will feel the earth's rotation reverse. Tell me if there is ANY completely legal Japanese supercar that can attain this kind of acceleration. I can't imagine what the Lingenfelter C5 is capable of with the boost cranked, a bit more fuel, and no cats. I'd say 8s a possible. 8s!!!!!!!!

5.0This-
A turbo LT1 That will be a beast of a setup. Goodluck. Did you ever see the video (interior shot) of the twin turbo LS1 going down the freeway in Texas? The run is flat out amazing. The LS1 goes from 70-155+ in about 11 seconds. My project car will be a good condition 87 GN. I can't wait.

Dave
Old 06-18-2002, 06:44 PM

No matter how you cut it, a larger motor will always ultimately win the acceleration test. Throw a big turbo on a well built I4 and get 500hp...great. Throw a big turbo on a well built 302 and you're staring at 700-800hp along with a sh!tload more torque and a far more useable powerband (ie MUCH FASTER car). A great example is Lingerfelters twin-turbo stroked C5. With a completely street/emissions legal setup, this car is good for mid 9s@145mph. That is flat out astounding. The car is docile around town getting 16-18mpg, but lay into the gas and those on the street will feel the earth's rotation reverse. Tell me if there is ANY completely legal Japanese supercar that can attain this kind of acceleration. I can't imagine what the Lingenfelter C5 is capable of with the boost cranked, a bit more fuel, and no cats. I'd say 8s a possible. 8s!!!!!!!!

5.0This-
A turbo LT1 That will be a beast of a setup. Goodluck. Did you ever see the video (interior shot) of the twin turbo LS1 going down the freeway in Texas? The run is flat out amazing. The LS1 goes from 70-155+ in about 11 seconds. My project car will be a good condition 87 GN. I can't wait.

Dave
i want to see that vid. post a link!

Trevor
Old 06-18-2002, 08:40 PM

Dave
Well, you are absolutely correct in saying that the Lingenfelter vette is awesome, but it is also a one of a kind and costs over $150k. I am absolutely certain that there are more than a handful of one of a kind, money is no object, project cars out there that are from the import stable that can hold their own with the vette.

Either way, you guys are still avoiding the point I brought up earlier; you wanna compare something? Compare a V-6 camaro, or a V-6 mustang, or even a V-6 pontiac to a V-6 maxima. That's comparing apples to apples. My point earlier was that if you take all three of the cars mentioned above and lined them up, who do you think would win? The answer is pretty simple really, and you know this, hence the "no replacement" comment. My comment was regarding blanket statements such as "no replacement" one just mentioned. Domestic V-6's in stock trim are normally not much of a match for our V-6's. I stress NORMALLY. If you did compare the cars mentioned, you will not be able to deny the fact that we have two more doors, more room, better gas milage, and better performance to boot right out of the box. I have given credit were it is due. Domestics have very big potential, absolutely more than imports, and they have extensive support in the aftermarket dept. to do so. You should also respect the fact that with very limited aftermarket support, comparatively, a lot of us can and do make our max's consistently run better and faster than some V-8's. If you guys would look and compare how many street V-6 and I4's hang and even beat the previously unbeatable V-8's with 1/3 or even 1/2 the displacement and twice the comfort, the ratio would not give you room to beat on your chests so hard. Try and find a magazine you can pick up at the local 7-11 that we can order pistons, heads, intakes, superchargers, suspension, slicks, etc. for a maxima, and I'll show you a maxima that will eat V-8's for breakfast.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:05 PM

Dave: thanks for the kind words. I did see the video you talked about about, I think it was entitled godspeed180+ where he goes over 180 mph and you see the shot of the gauges and then of the road ahead. It was awesome! and I never got to see that motor trend TV episode where they tested the lingenfleter vette. I heard they tested it against the F-18s of the Blue Angels, and the Vette was faster from 0-60 and in the quarter mile

Soon2BMaxed: sorry bud, I dont have a link, I just saved it on my PC, but I'll try and find out for ya

JaimeCBR900: Here's how I knew you had to be in the 13s: to say that nobody stock would beat your car because it is in 13s is a tall statement. My car bone stock was a 13 second car, and not just barely, it was safely in the 13s, so who's to say I wouldnt take you when I was stock? Most LS1 cars run low 13s stock, and the 02's run low low 13s and some high 12s, right out of the factory. And remember, you're one of the quicker cars on here, I'd say the mass majority here cant touch 13s. I assume to do this you are blown, full exhaust, intake, etc. too bad you dont live closer we could have a friendly little run
Old 06-18-2002, 10:36 PM
Ford Only.

Now that I recall, my friend ran a 13.2 in his 96 Z28 5 speed.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
Now that I recall, my friend ran a 13.2 in his 96 Z28 5 speed.
It would have been a 6 speed if it was a manual
Old 06-19-2002, 02:05 AM

Tell me if there is ANY completely legal Japanese supercar that can attain this kind of acceleration. I can't imagine what the Lingenfelter C5 is capable of with the boost cranked, a bit more fuel, and no cats. I'd say 8s a possible. 8s!!!!!!!!

How about this Supra??
http://www.suprastore.com/98914titmoto.html

9.0@160

or the COMPLETELY street legal Supra that I have seen in person many times from Sound Performance in Illinois (10 minutes from my house) that runs 9.5@144

Both those cars COMBINED wouldn't even cost as much as a lingenfelter vette....
Old 06-19-2002, 07:18 AM

You have a good point but lingenfelter runs moddest boost on his cars(8.5psi) Since supras are not sent to america anymore I have never read about driveability in one with around 1000hp but in my mind it wouldn't run well below 2k and lingenfelters vettes drive normal as if nothing is done to them, but i'm sure if you upped the boost and spent just a little extra money on one it would run 9s.

Riiight....my buddy has a vette, he drives it hard and gets at BEST, 14-15mpg in city driving conditions. I have a max...and also drive it hard and I get 21-22 mpg in city driving.[/B][/QUOTE]

well I guess your max gets better than mine because in the city i'm lucky to see 16 and I was talking about epa rating not personal exsperiances, MY uncle has a camaro that gets 30 mpg on the highway on a regular basis.

By just tossing a S/Cer onto an LT1 you would be LUCKY to run low 13s....toss a smaller pully and a few other small mods on a new Cobra and most S/Ced LT1s won't stand a chance. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes but if you buy a used car with a LT1 and use the money you save to build it with a superchager you will beat modded 03 cobras, 30k is a lot of money just think about what you could do with say a 95 model Z28 or ss if you bought one and used the money you save to build it, even if you have to buy a new engine.

I just really hate ford and mustangs so if I had 30k I'm just saying what I would do with it I'm sure either way you look at it there is a way for one to out do the other but I just really would rather have a GM car.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:42 AM

mustangs are like civics....they can run 12's or 15's
Old 06-19-2002, 07:56 AM

How about this Supra??
http://www.suprastore.com/98914titmoto.html

9.0@160

or the COMPLETELY street legal Supra that I have seen in person many times from Sound Performance in Illinois (10 minutes from my house) that runs 9.5@144

Both those cars COMBINED wouldn't even cost as much as a lingenfelter vette....
You're right there lingenfelter is overpriced so take it to some local shop and save about 30k then you have a vette that runs with modded supras and cost about the same. Everybody says that there is replacement for displacement just turbo your smaller engine, but turbocharge or supercharge the larger displacement and watch the results, this is why you don't see 3.0 liter engines in top fuel dragsters. I know the comparison is a little strange but don't you think if V6s or L6s were better than V8s for speed then thats what would be used. But it's really in how much you want to spend and what on. I'm not downing supras because that will probably be my next car. And I think that they have alot more potental than most cars on the road but really and trully if you wanted to you could easily make a vette alot faster than a supra.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:18 AM

You have a good point but lingenfelter runs moddest boost on his cars(8.5psi) Since supras are not sent to america anymore I have never read about driveability in one with around 1000hp but in my mind it wouldn't run well below 2k and lingenfelters vettes drive normal as if nothing is done to them, but i'm sure if you upped the boost and spent just a little extra money on one it would run 9s.
well I guess your max gets better than mine because in the city i'm lucky to see 16 and I was talking about epa rating not personal exsperiances, MY uncle has a camaro that gets 30 mpg on the highway on a regular basis.

Yes but if you buy a used car with a LT1 and use the money you save to build it with a superchager you will beat modded 03 cobras, 30k is a lot of money just think about what you could do with say a 95 model Z28 or ss if you bought one and used the money you save to build it, even if you have to buy a new engine.

I just really hate ford and mustangs so if I had 30k I'm just saying what I would do with it I'm sure either way you look at it there is a way for one to out do the other but I just really would rather have a GM car.

We all know that EPA ratings for gas mileage are pretty much BS...

I hate ford too...but you can't make a blanket statement saying that a S/Ced LT1 will always beat a modded 03 Cobra. Hell, we haven't even seen what the average Joe can get out of a new cobra at a dragstrip.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:19 AM

JaimeCBR900: Here's how I knew you had to be in the 13s: to say that nobody stock would beat your car because it is in 13s is a tall statement. My car bone stock was a 13 second car, and not just barely, it was safely in the 13s, so who's to say I wouldnt take you when I was stock? Most LS1 cars run low 13s stock, and the 02's run low low 13s and some high 12s, right out of the factory. And remember, you're one of the quicker cars on here, I'd say the mass majority here cant touch 13s. I assume to do this you are blown, full exhaust, intake, etc. too bad you dont live closer we could have a friendly little run
I don't know what track you are used to running at, but last time out I was hard pressed to see a handful of 13's and 12's out of probably 100 domestics (street) and all were very heavily modded. In stock trim, most ran in 14's and even 15's. Based on experience and reading of major publications there are only a few 13 and 12 sec cars out of the box. All of them costing 15-30 thousand OVER their regular run of the mill counterpart. If I had 15-30k to spend on mods, I'm sure I could be a 12 sec car too .

I am going back to the track on Fri. I am willing to bet that if I were to take a headcount of the probably over 100 cars (domestic V-8's) I would only find the same thing as before. Only a handful run in the 12-13 sec range and are NOT stock.

I would love to see your 13 sec "stock" timeslip. I would be glad to run. As I stated before even in defeat, which I have been beaten many times before, I have no problem in losing to a 12 sec car. I can definetly be very much OK with that fact because: I have a car that is 7 years old, has over 160k miles, paid for in cash, starts every single day, use it every single day, has all the "luxury" items I need (I have the GLE), looks stock, spent only a couple thousand dollars total in mods, AND runs with some cars that have either paid 5 times as much to begin with or spent 5 times as much on mods.

Look around and count how many people have $2k to spend on mods and then count how many have $10k for mods. The math will show you why I still say that the dollar for dollar advantage is on this side of the fence. If money was no object, then I would absolutely agree with you in the "no replacement for displacement" statement.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:27 AM

You're right there lingenfelter is overpriced so take it to some local shop and save about 30k then you have a vette that runs with modded supras and cost about the same. Everybody says that there is replacement for displacement just turbo your smaller engine, but turbocharge or supercharge the larger displacement and watch the results, this is why you don't see 3.0 liter engines in top fuel dragsters. I know the comparison is a little strange but don't you think if V6s or L6s were better than V8s for speed then thats what would be used. But it's really in how much you want to spend and what on. I'm not downing supras because that will probably be my next car. And I think that they have alot more potental than most cars on the road but really and trully if you wanted to you could easily make a vette alot faster than a supra.
When I think about what car I'd be interested in next, the type of engine that is used in a top fuel dragster never even crosses my mind.

I don't really think that you could make a Vette A LOT faster than a supra without an engine swap in the vette to a big displacement crate motor with a blower. Acutally, I don't even think there are but a handful of LS1 vettes in the 9s. With a motor swap in the Supra the same is possible as with the vette.

Pretty much ANY car has to potential to be faster than another car with the right work.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:40 AM

When I think about what car I'd be interested in next, the type of engine that is used in a top fuel dragster never even crosses my mind.

I don't really think that you could make a Vette A LOT faster than a supra without an engine swap in the vette to a big displacement crate motor with a blower. Acutally, I don't even think there are but a handful of LS1 vettes in the 9s. With a motor swap in the Supra the same is possible as with the vette.

Pretty much ANY car has to potential to be faster than another car with the right work.
Finally someone who gets exactly what I've been saying all along.

If you compare a 50k car to a 20k car, the 50k car will most likely win. In comparison, take the same 50k car and leave it the same and let the 20k car catch up (dollars wise), I can almost guarantee that the 20k (now up to 50k in our little analogy here) will be substantially better (faster) after the 30k worth of mods and you STILL have 2 50k cars. Get it? Dollar for dollar the advantage (performance wise) will always go to the one that began lowest to begin with. In real world situations, money is what governs speed not engine size.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

You guys COMPLETELY missed my point about the Lingenfelter C5 TT. I said find me a Japanese supercar that can go as quick that is street/EMISSIONS legal. Take a look at that C5 TT and you'll see that looks stock on the outside, inside, and under the hood. Nothing has been removed from the interior. No cage and all the sound insulation is there. These 9-second Supras aren't emissions legal therefore they are not street legal. Simply doing a little tweaking on the C5 TT will result in a lot more power, but emissions will be affected. You will have a much quicker C5 TT though. That was my point. BTW, the C5 TT is not a "one off" car. It's an available package.

Jamie-

As for American V6s vs Japanese V6s, it's run what-cha-brung. Truth of the matter is your 13-second Maxima is a solid 15-second Maxima without the NOS. You're Max running NA is no quicker than a V6 F-Body or a 99+ V6 Stang and you'd probably be walked by the smaller 2.5 SVT Contour and a Contour SE V6 would probably be right next to you. Americans have always been known for extracting power from displacement and the Japanese have always been known for extracting power from RPM. Lexus gets 300hp from thier 4.0L V8 and Cadillac does the same. What's the difference?

Dave
Old 06-19-2002, 03:20 PM

BTW, the C5 TT is not a "one off" car. It's an available package.

Jamie-

As for American V6s vs Japanese V6s, it's run what-cha-brung. Truth of the matter is your 13-second Maxima is a solid 15-second Maxima without the NOS. You're Max running NA is no quicker than a V6 F-Body or a 99+ V6 Stang and you'd probably be walked by the smaller 2.5 SVT Contour and a Contour SE V6 would probably be right next to you. Americans have always been known for extracting power from displacement and the Japanese have always been known for extracting power from RPM. Lexus gets 300hp from thier 4.0L V8 and Cadillac does the same. What's the difference?

Dave
It may be an available package on paper, but in reality there are not going to be but 1-2 ever. With a price tag of over 150k and more than 6 mos of waiting, I seriously doubt many people will get one. About as close to a "one of" as you can get.

You totally missed the boat on my analogy as well. The V-6 domestic and V-6 import comparo was due to their proximity in initial price tag. It is an unlevel playing field to compare a 35k car to a 25k car unless you give the 25k car 10k for mods and then run them. If the initial 35k still beats the new and improved 25k car, then the car was and still is better (performance wise). If it does not, then it is just overpriced to begin with.

BTW, I always run what I "brung". I don't run slicks. I don't run race fuel. I don't run w/o a backseat. I don't have a fancy roll cage. I got an intake, exhaust, VB mod, and N2O. Everything else is stock. If I had a 300 page catalog full of every possible performance mod known to man-kind available at my fingertips for any budget from mild to wild, I guess you would have a point about comparing on an even playing field. Since maximas do not have that kind of aftermarket support or availability, you should just give credit where it is due and be done with it.

Consider this for a minute...When the 350Z comes out it will be putting out close to 300 HP from a 6 cyl. Name a domestic with just 6 cyls. w/o a turbo or a S/C that are not "specialty, project, or one-of" that comes close.

Quick Reply: Raced a '03 Mustang SVT Cobra and a Corvette