4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing chain tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 08:59 AM

Timing chain tensioner replacement

I had read about this sometime ago, it was a reply by our D.B.Martin to a thread.He suggested removing the tensioner and either replacing it or cleaning and reinstalling it depending on its condition.Has anybody done this?I searched but could not find it.On the timing chain cover we have two openings covered by black covers.I think one is for the water pump and the other for inspecting the tensioner i am not sure though.
any input is appreciated,
as always TIA,
Jay
Old 06-17-2002, 10:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Timing chain tensioner replacement

Correct. The water pump opening is the bigger one, it's right next to the thermostat. The smaller opening is for the tensioner. The tensioner opening is there to release the tension on the timing chain so you could remove the water pump. Basically, those 2 openings are provided so you don't have to open the entire timing chain cover.

DW

Originally posted by jayanth
I had read about this sometime ago, it was a reply by our D.B.Martin to a thread.He suggested removing the tensioner and either replacing it or cleaning and reinstalling it depending on its condition.Has anybody done this?I searched but could not find it.On the timing chain cover we have two openings covered by black covers.I think one is for the water pump and the other for inspecting the tensioner i am not sure though.
any input is appreciated,
as always TIA,
Jay
Old 06-17-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: Re: Timing chain tensioner replacement

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Correct. The water pump opening is the bigger one, it's right next to the thermostat. The smaller opening is for the tensioner. The tensioner opening is there to release the tension on the timing chain so you could remove the water pump. Basically, those 2 openings are provided so you don't have to open the entire timing chain cover.

DW

I wanted to replace the tensioner by removing it thru' this opening.Is that a possibility?? I have timing chain noise, its not severe but thought a new tensioner should reduce the noise
Thanks DW
Jay
Old 06-17-2002, 02:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Timing chain tensioner replacement

I don't think so b/c when my mechanic replaced my water pump, he said it was incredibly difficult to get at the tensionser. I'll check my FSM to confirm.

DW

I wanted to replace the tensioner by removing it thru' this opening.Is that a possibility?? I have timing chain noise, its not severe but thought a new tensioner should reduce the noise
Thanks DW
Jay
Old 06-17-2002, 05:12 PM

According to the Nissan FSM, yes, you can remove the timing chain tensioner without removing the entire timing chain. If you'd like, email me and I can send you the page.

DW
Old 06-18-2002, 11:36 AM

I tried to e-mail the stuff to you and hotmail slammed them right back to me. Must be rejecting jpegs for some reason

DW
Old 06-18-2002, 12:21 PM
Disco Biscuit

Would you mind emailing it to me, too? I could use that info myself, since I'd like to replace mine, since its slowly getting worse as she gets older....
Old 06-18-2002, 02:53 PM

I don't see any reason why you'd need to replace the timing chain tensioner. It's a hydraulic tensioner thats puts pressure onthe chain using oil pressure, it should last the life of the engine.

How many miles are on your car?

I would not recommend trying to replace the tensioner simply by accessing it through that hole...it will be VERY diffucult to do with the engine in the car. But, removing the timing cover is also a hassle becuase you have to remove the oil pan to get at the two bottom bolts for the cover...it's about a two hour job with the engine OUT of the car....I don't even want to think about what it would be with the engine IN the car.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
I don't see any reason why you'd need to replace the timing chain tensioner. It's a hydraulic tensioner thats puts pressure onthe chain using oil pressure, it should last the life of the engine.

How many miles are on your car?

I would not recommend trying to replace the tensioner simply by accessing it through that hole...it will be VERY diffucult to do with the engine in the car. But, removing the timing cover is also a hassle becuase you have to remove the oil pan to get at the two bottom bolts for the cover...it's about a two hour job with the engine OUT of the car....I don't even want to think about what it would be with the engine IN the car.
Hey Briguy,
I didn't know it was a hydraulic tensioner i thought it was spring loaded.I have 115000 miles on my car.I get the noise at startup and disappears after 2 secs.I was going thru' the haynes manual and the FSM which DW mailed me, I thought it was removing 2 bolts and the tensioner would come off.It is difficult but doable.Now you say it dosen't help.
I heard sometime ago that nissan had redesigned this tensioner.I wanted to replace my old one with the new one.Can't the tensioner be wornout and applying less pressure?
I need to think about this.As you said it might get too difficult...

thank u buddy.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:31 AM
Disco Biscuit

Yes they are hydralic, but they do fail. There is a known problem with 95\96 models to not work correctly, causing the timing chain to rattle sometimes quite badly bacause the tensioner cant build up enough pressure to work properly. The only way this problem can be fixed is to relace the tensioner. Nissan wants approx. $1000 to do the job, becuase they also replace the chain at the same time. If I can do it myself, without having to remove the whole timing chain cover, I'd much rather do it myself.....
Old 06-19-2002, 07:10 AM

E-mail me so I can have your address to send to.

DW

Originally posted by Whitemax
Would you mind emailing it to me, too? I could use that info myself, since I'd like to replace mine, since its slowly getting worse as she gets older....
Old 06-19-2002, 08:38 AM

Hey Briguy,
I didn't know it was a hydraulic tensioner i thought it was spring loaded.I have 115000 miles on my car.I get the noise at startup and disappears after 2 secs.I was going thru' the haynes manual and the FSM which DW mailed me, I thought it was removing 2 bolts and the tensioner would come off.It is difficult but doable.Now you say it dosen't help.
I heard sometime ago that nissan had redesigned this tensioner.I wanted to replace my old one with the new one.Can't the tensioner be wornout and applying less pressure?
I need to think about this.As you said it might get too difficult...

thank u buddy.
The reason you only get the sound for 2 seconds on startup is becuase that's the time that the tensioner is building pressure. When you let the engine sit for a while, the timing chain get's loose becuase the pressure is slowly let out of the tensioner, thus when you start it up...it's going to be loose for a few seconds and then tighten up. I wouldn't worry about it until you have a problem more that a few seconds after you start the engine.

When I had my motor swap done...we had to swap timing covers from my old engine to the new one becuase the new engine's timing cover was dented. when the new (used 45,000 miles) motor was apart...the timing chain had almost an inch of play in each direction...I couldn't believe it until I realized that it has a hydraulic tensioner.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:13 AM

Briguy's right. This may not be that big an issue. Try changing to a different oil filter. Maybe the one you have does not have a good anti-drainback valve. Try the stock nissan one. I use WIX filters and have never had any startup noises. I would tend to stay away from a filter like PUREone b/c the filter is so thick with filter media that it can cause oil starvation at startup andother times, too. WHo cares if it really cleans your oil if it's preventing your oil from reaching all the parts that need lubrication.

DW
Old 08-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

chain noise

I have definite chain noise and i thought the tensioner would do the trick but after reading these posts i dont know. my sons max has 170,000 on it , maybe its time for a new chain is this something i could do myself or a dealer thing
Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by mick662
I have definite chain noise and i thought the tensioner would do the trick but after reading these posts i dont know. my sons max has 170,000 on it , maybe its time for a new chain is this something i could do myself or a dealer thing
whats with the noob bumps lately?!?!? just search you will find your answer.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:07 PM

the timing chain assembly is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Members on here have over 300,000 Miles on their engines and theyre just fine. Besides if you were to do the timing chain you might as well just drop in a 3.5.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
the timing chain assembly is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Members on here have over 300,000 Miles on their engines and theyre just fine. Besides if you were to do the timing chain you might as well just drop in a 3.5.
LOL I was just about to say that.

Is the chain really loud? If it is r u sure its the chain? You didn't say what it sounded like
Old 08-02-2009, 02:03 PM

If i were you i will change it, i have a friend with a 95 maxima and all start in the same way as you. With the time the noise get worse and we have to changed the tensioner and we didn't take the motor apart, just had to be patience and it will come out. good luck!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPR0908
If i were you i will change it, i have a friend with a 95 maxima and all start in the same way as you. With the time the noise get worse and we have to changed the tensioner and we didn't take the motor apart, just had to be patience and it will come out. good luck!
BAD NOOBLET! leave the man be! the Chain Assem Is FINE!

If its Clicking BAD and for more than 20 seconds after he fires it up, Drop out the engine, and BUY A 3.5!!!! Seriously, it will cost hime more to fix it in the long run than it would to jsut spend the extra couple hundred and drop in a bigger displacement engine with Even better gas mileage with E-Gas!

I dont care what your FRIEND has or whatever, this forum is a collaboration of ACCUMULATIVE KNOWLEDGE not well my friend has a Maxima that runs 9's
Old 08-02-2009, 06:21 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by FallenOne
BAD NOOBLET! leave the man be! the Chain Assem Is FINE!

If its Clicking BAD and for more than 20 seconds after he fires it up, Drop out the engine, and BUY A 3.5!!!! Seriously, it will cost hime more to fix it in the long run than it would to jsut spend the extra couple hundred and drop in a bigger displacement engine with Even better gas mileage with E-Gas!

I dont care what your FRIEND has or whatever, this forum is a collaboration of ACCUMULATIVE KNOWLEDGE not well my friend has a Maxima that runs 9's
It seems that you're overreacting at your inability to read.

MAXPR0908 stated that his friend replaced the tensioner, not the chain.

Why would you suggest a full 3.5 swap (or any 3.5 swap) to a guy that just has a little chain rattle? That's just ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

'Extra couple hundred'? So it's only an 'extra couple hundred' to get an engine control harness, ECU, key, NATS IMMU, dash harness, and e-gas pedal plus the VQ35 itself over just buying a VQ30? Not to mention install costs? Please, tell me where.

Why do you say you 'don't care what his friend has'? His friend had a timing chain noise issue, and fixed it with the replacement of a tensioner. Your last statement just reeks of stupidity, and honestly I can't even figure out what kind of point you're trying to make.

Last edited by pmohr; 08-02-2009 at 06:24 PM.