4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

? for 5 speed swap guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 12:45 PM

? for 5 speed swap guys

Im gonna be getting the swap done soon and im concerned about the cruise control. Will it still work after the swap? Also will the reverse lights still come on when put in Reverse?? And finally I am told that the CEL will come on because the ECU can no longer communicate with the auto tranny, Will getting a 5 speed ecu from the same year car make this go away?
Thanks to all those who can help.
John.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:17 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: ? for 5 speed swap guys

Originally posted by thezcarguy
Im gonna be getting the swap done soon and im concerned about the cruise control. Will it still work after the swap? Also will the reverse lights still come on when put in Reverse?? And finally I am told that the CEL will come on because the ECU can no longer communicate with the auto tranny, Will getting a 5 speed ecu from the same year car make this go away?
Thanks to all those who can help.
John.
very interesting question....everyone says u shouldn't have to worry about chips and things because manual has nothing to do with brains or electrical things but the cruise control i believe does....no one who has done the conversion has complained about not being able to use cruise or maybe they haven't tried it yet but i would talk to yellow brother and a few about that....they have done conversion and i believe their engine lights did not come on after doing everything....
Old 06-19-2002, 01:27 PM

Re: Re: ? for 5 speed swap guys

Originally posted by meccanoble

very interesting question....everyone says u shouldn't have to worry about chips and things because manual has nothing to do with brains or electrical things but the cruise control i believe does....no one who has done the conversion has complained about not being able to use cruise or maybe they haven't tried it yet but i would talk to yellow brother and a few about that....they have done conversion and i believe their engine lights did not come on after doing everything....
Thanks.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: ? for 5 speed swap guys

Originally posted by meccanoble

My cruise control works fine. I never wired the reverse lights though. The cel light does come on. I heard switching ecu solves that.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: ? for 5 speed swap guys

Originally posted by skeelo34

My cruise control works fine. I never wired the reverse lights though. The cel light does come on. I heard switching ecu solves that.
Thanks, ok so we have worked out everything but the reverse lights, Any takers on that one???
Old 06-19-2002, 03:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: ? for 5 speed swap guys

Originally posted by thezcarguy

Thanks, ok so we have worked out everything but the reverse lights, Any takers on that one???
I did scan the service manual page on how to rewire that. I havent tried it b/c my tranny is not in my car, but in my garage....ahahah......ehem anyways.....soon...
Old 06-19-2002, 07:20 PM

my cruise control works...my reverse light works...my cel is on...my car runs fine so far...i use the same starter that came with my car...there is a post that skeelo started with the cel light that he got and i posted the cel that i got...go find it...